DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, RIZIN, Fight Pass, and AXS TV Thread (Fedor/Fabby Brawlgame Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

-CPdjSHvhQ0.jpg

Fight Nights Global 50: Emelianenko vs. Maldonado

June 17, 2016

St. Petersburg, Russia (Sibur Arena)

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Fábio Maldonado - Emelianenko, DEC (majority)
Vitaly Minakov vs. Peter Graham - Minakov, SUB (armbar), R1 (1:02)
Kirill Sidelnikov vs. Ruben Wolf - Sidelnikov, DEC (unanimous)
Akhmet Aliev vs. Matej Truhan - Aliev, DEC (unanimous)
Anatoly Tokov vs. Vladimir Filipović - Tokov, DEC (unanimous)
Sergey Pavlovich vs. Chaban Ka - Pavlovich, TKO (punches), R1 (1:54)
Vadim Nemkov vs. Mikołaj Różanski - Nemkov, TKO (punches), R1 (3:39)
Rasul Mirzaev vs. Dioginis Souza - Mirzaev, TKO (punches), R1 (4:13)
Valentin Moldavsky vs. Daniel Dörrer - Moldavsky, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (0:47)
Georgiy Kichigin vs. Vladimir Tyurin - Kichigin, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:03)
Abusupyan Alikhanov vs. Artem Shokalo - Alikhanov, DEC (unanimous)
Abdulla Dadaev vs. Jack McGann - McGann, TKO (knee and punches), R1 (2:13)
Aleksandr Dankov vs. Dmitriy Maryukhin - Dankov, TKO (punches) (2:49)
Vasiliy Zubkov vs. Sergey Tovkan - Zubkov, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (3:57)
Marina Mokhnatkina vs. Ekaterina Torbeeva - Mokhnatkina, SUB (armbar), R1 (0:25)

so, i had a very vivid dream the other night about this fight. ti never dream about fights/fighters, and don't find this fight particularly interesting, so i don't know how this came about.

Anyway, it feels like we're 3-4 minutes into Round 1. Fedor ducks down (possibly looking for a shot?) and catches a hard knee to the head. It knocks him down. Fabio jumps on him, raining down Ground & Pound. Fedor scrambles out of it, but just as he is getting to his feet, Fabio clocks him with a right uppercut/hook which puts Fedor on his back again. Fabio jumps on him again, this time finishing the fight with hammerfists and knocking Fedor cold.

Now, i don't realistically see this happening, and this is not a prediction. I just wanted to post this incase my dreams can predict the future.

45 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Sooo, maybe he should have stayed retired? 

If you didn't know what Fedor looked like, you would think it was Chuck Liddell throwing punches. Except they didn't have a whole lot behind them. 

And it's not like people can say he was out of shape. He was in shape by Fedor standards. However, Fedor without speed and reflexes is just another heavyweight. I'm not saying that Francis Ngannou is gonna be the next great heavyweight or anything like that, but this version of Fedor would have got Mack Trucked by Ngannou. He was fighting a dude who, even when he was having a 10-8 round in his favor, was standing with his back against the cage with his guard up in a shell defense. In round 2 and 3, Fedor was just staring at Fabio at certain points and then throw arm punches before eating a jab from distance. Not quite on the Bellator heavyweight catastrophic level, but this was not out of place on Fight Pass at all. This was very opening fight on a Vegas UFC card-ish where there is like seven people there and Goldie & Rogan are the only noise in the arena. 

With that said, I would still watch Fedor vs. JDS or any top 10 HW just for the spectacle.

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Depressing though. Isn't he a superstar in Russia? So, this comeback isn't fueled by a desperate financial situation, is it?

Depends on what you mean by superstar. He got pretty good response from the crowd, but I am not sure he is like a cultural icon over in Russia. 

As for the second question, I am not sure entirely. Very few fighters who have been to the top level are going to come out and say they need money. MMA still isn't at the level like boxing was going back to like Sonny Liston fighting in Mexican bullrings and like Joe Louis telling folks point blank he was broke as a joke.

With Fedor being repped by new people, it could just be a situation like Lesnar where he realizes that he is leaving money on the table retiring before he had to. 

The thing is, especially with the fight this afternoon, how much money is left on the table isn't going to be the type of money he left on the table in 2011 when Zuffa bought Strikeforce. He could have made so much money in 3 or 4 fights and then retired. If he fights Cain, JDS, Lesnar, and Overeem, there is no way he doesn't walk away with eight figures after each and every fight unless it's on Fox (which was possible then). 

He can still get any of those fights, but how lucrative can they be and (more importantly) likely are they to happen? I think if he would've lost four or five years ago, he would have kept going and kinda brushed retirement off. If he signed a six fight deal, he would have fought all six fights. Now? He could sign a four fight deal with Zuffa, and I am hard pressed to believe he makes it past fight number two on his deal. Getting fucked up at 35 is way different than getting smashed at 40. I know it's heavyweight MMA, but he has been in big time fights going back to 2001 if you don't count RINGS. It's only going to get worse.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the fights tonight on Bellator Dynamite 2. Tons of prelims that flew by quick with lots of finishes. Loved Illima Lei getting the awesome victory on the main card. I think the last 3 kickboxing bouts actually turned out to be my favorites of the night. Holy shit at the K O from Hisaki Kato, that was absolutely amazing. Raymond Daniels killed it again and the Keri Melendez/Sarah Howell fight was an awesome performance from Melendez and also an impressive performance from Howell for a debut, being able to take so much punishment.

33 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I think the last 3 kickboxing bouts actually turned out to be my favorites of the night. Holy shit at the K O from Hisaki Kato, that was absolutely amazing. 

Maybe this is some karma thrown on Schilling for talking cash shit about Glory. The marquee name for Bellator Kickboxing getting KO'd twice (in two separate sports mind you) by Hisaki Kato ain't the business.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There are notable ex UFC fighters are on the Pancrase card on late Saturday night/early Sunday morning including Okami, Rin Nakai, and Jonathan Brookins. Also includes Masakatsu Ueda and Shintaro ishiwatari:

CnrCgzhWIAAr7Up.jpg