DVDVR Message Board

So...just how old are the DVDR posters?

MADCAP

Don't know when I started (things were black and yellow before they were green and yellow, right?), but it was mostly about how much I hated the Lakers and how they were not going to make the playoffs (I'm pretty sure that was the Shaq and Kobe days).

Kurtie?

Every villian is given three 'come back from the dead' cards to play.

Bullshit, Lacelle's well over half a dozen already. Coey stayed away eventually though, I think he was three tries.

I measure my age in Cusacks.

I've always been two or three years younger than whatever age John Cusack is playing at any given moment. (He always plays a few years younger than he is, since he's actually 40 fucking 7 now!).  Which worked out, because I would then see his movies on video a year or so after they came out and we would match up prefectly and he could be my template for what the next part of my life was supposed to represent.  It worked out marvelously.

So, when he was playing a nerdy freshman in SIXTEEN CANDLES, I was in Jr. High.  When he was playing a directionless 20-year-old in SAY ANYTHING, I was a senior in High School.

When he was getting ready to deal with his 10 year high school reunion in GROSSE POINTE BLANK I was just a couple of years shy of my 10 year reunion, too.

By the time I saw HIGH FIDELITY, I, too, was in my early surly thirties.

And when he looked back at it all with regret as a 40 year old in HOT TUB TIME MACHINE, I was 39. (and by the time I saw that on cable I was there).

The one that hurts is GROSSE POINTE BLANK.  I saw it in like 1999 when I was right there...one year to my 10 year reunion.  I seriously related to that movie...it really hit...then the next time I saw it was in, like 2008 and I wasn't sure how I was supposed to react to it.  Martin Blank was still 28.  He was still headed to his ten year reunion.  And here I was coming up on my 20th and pushing 40.  I wanted to relate to the movie the same way I had...and I could remember those feelings.  But that moment, and all it represents was gone.  That whole thing about clearing out the mess of your twenties and starting over as an actual adult...I'd been through it and past it.

I so wanted to be Martin Blank again...not whatever the guy's name was in HOT TUB TIME MACHINE.  Close enough to 20 to still be able to horse around in your old girlfriend's parent's house one last time and be quoting The Specials and expect the people around you to remember something about their life when they hear it.  But close enough to 30 that you don't feel threatened by anything back there in that past and are, in the end, heading off in a completely new direction that will end up defining your life more than any of that previous decade will.

But, shit, now I've crossed two years into the 40s and Cusack is a fucking mess now and I don't know who I'm supposed to check in with on Starz anymore.  I feel more Paul Giamatti than John Cusack right now and that's not the place to be.

Fucking Giamatti.

• Like 6

24.  Few places I hang out on the internet make me feel young anymore, thanks guys!  Started using the internet regularly back in 99, which I guess was a good bit before most people my age, and started frequenting this niche of wrestling fandom around earlier 2005.  I remember going to the main DVDVR site a couple times maybe around the 2001 time frame but don't think I ever ventured to the boards.

This thread and people talking about which NFL guys they went to High School with prompted me to downloard a copy of my senior yearbook.  I don't have one because I didn't actually buy one.

It was really weird.  I remember almost no one...like maybe five guys.  I appear in the book once.  Under my picture where they put little blurbs about each person it says "Attended for four years."

In the back of the book it talks about Tiananmen Square and New Kids on the Block.

The pictures look ancient.  Like, if you told me this was my dad's yearbook from 1960 I would belive you.  Here is a picture of one of our computer classes:

Posted Image

That's an Aplle IIe.

I'd also forgotten how religious the place was.  I guess I just tuned that all out.  This is the very first page:

Posted Image

Like how many priests were shuffling around that place?

And then there was this dude. I can't take credit for being him or remembering who he was.  But he has a floppy disc in his hand and those huge Kent Tekulve glasses...and I'd like to think a poster of "The Killing Joke" in his locker:

Posted Image

• Like 2

I bet the dude in the last pic is an internet millionaire now and ended up marrying a Norwegian lingerie model.

The most possible outcomes for that guy are really starkly on different sides of the equation.  He's either that thing you said...or he's a mod on a Brony board who writes threatening letters to the actors on LAZYTOWN.

*Note: I only know what LAZYTOWN is because the last two minutes of it are at the beginning of every EPL game I DVR n NBC.

I measure my age in Cusacks.

I've always been two or three years younger than whatever age John Cusack is playing at any given moment. (He always plays a few years younger than he is, since he's actually 40 fucking 7 now!).  Which worked out, because I would then see his movies on video a year or so after they came out and we would match up prefectly and he could be my template for what the next part of my life was supposed to represent.  It worked out marvelously.

So, when he was playing a nerdy freshman in SIXTEEN CANDLES, I was in Jr. High.  When he was playing a directionless 20-year-old in SAY ANYTHING, I was a senior in High School.

When he was getting ready to deal with his 10 year high school reunion in GROSSE POINTE BLANK I was just a couple of years shy of my 10 year reunion, too.

By the time I saw HIGH FIDELITY, I, too, was in my early surly thirties.

And when he looked back at it all with regret as a 40 year old in HOT TUB TIME MACHINE, I was 39. (and by the time I saw that on cable I was there).

The one that hurts is GROSSE POINTE BLANK.  I saw it in like 1999 when I was right there...one year to my 10 year reunion.  I seriously related to that movie...it really hit...then the next time I saw it was in, like 2008 and I wasn't sure how I was supposed to react to it.  Martin Blank was still 28.  He was still headed to his ten year reunion.  And here I was coming up on my 20th and pushing 40.  I wanted to relate to the movie the same way I had...and I could remember those feelings.  But that moment, and all it represents was gone.  That whole thing about clearing out the mess of your twenties and starting over as an actual adult...I'd been through it and past it.

I so wanted to be Martin Blank again...not whatever the guy's name was in HOT TUB TIME MACHINE.  Close enough to 20 to still be able to horse around in your old girlfriend's parent's house one last time and be quoting The Specials and expect the people around you to remember something about their life when they hear it.  But close enough to 30 that you don't feel threatened by anything back there in that past and are, in the end, heading off in a completely new direction that will end up defining your life more than any of that previous decade will.

But, shit, now I've crossed two years into the 40s and Cusack is a fucking mess now and I don't know who I'm supposed to check in with on Starz anymore.  I feel more Paul Giamatti than John Cusack right now and that's not the place to be.

Fucking Giamatti.

Congrats on your more swear-y Greggulator post.