DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For JUNE 22, 2016

RIPPA

Per PWI

Week 2

- Ember Moon def. Mandy Rose  (Dark match)

- Onie Lorcan def. Tye Dillinger 

- No Way Jose def. Josh Woods.

Post match: Austin Aries comes out and talks about not being defined by victories, but by losses. He says he learned from No Way Jose how to have fun. The two dance around ringside and onto the announcers table. While on the table, Aries attacks Jose and beats him down all over ringside.

- Bayley def. Deonna Purazzo 

- Nia Jax def. Liv Morgan 

- (Likely Reshoot) Tye comes out says it's unacceptable to lose twice. He calls out Almas. They battle for a while until Tye walks away. Likely a reshoot or adding in extra footage for their earlier match.

- Shinsuke Nakamura def. Buddy Murphy 

Per WON

- Ember Moon (fka Athena) beat Mandy Rose

May not have been taped for TV but the hard cam was on. Solid match with these two being familiar working each other from the recent live events  Top rope stunner by Moon to win it.

- Oney Lorcan (former Biff Busick/Chris Girard) beats Tye Dillinger

Intense match and some hard hitting lariats and kicks. Big win for Oney in his TV debut.

- No Way Jose beat Josh Woods

Fun short match with Jose getting the quick win. Austin Aries came out to interrupt the fiesta. He plays along with Jose and dances, but then turns on him and beats him down.

- Bayley beat Deonna Purrazzo

Belly To Bayley for the win in good short match. She is nl longer selling the injured knee, btw.

- Nia Jax beat Liv Morgan

Powerbomb in a quick match. Dominant win by Jax,

Then, we got a possible retape as Dillinger calls out Almas. They did some work, teased a countout, and yet the bell never rang.

- Shinsuke Nakamura beat Buddy Murphy after the Kinshasa

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Name yourself Oney Lorcan
  2. Try to wrestle as a babyface against Tye Dillinger when no one knows who you are
  3. ???
  4. Push

There were some other good things on this show, though. Austin Aries still rules and he dragged that obvious turn out to perfection. Unexpected step up for Jose. Alexa's promo was probably the best thing she's done in the company. She sounded pretty natural, probably because the material was pretty true outside the storylines. Ouch if you're Blake or Murphy, though. Oh, and Izzy with the "Heeeey we want some Bayley" sign... I thought that chant wasn't kid friendly, lol.

Man, fuck that Oney Lorcan shit, I don't care how good your European uppercuts are. Sign Thatcher and see if he can pick a less stupid name, then give him the push instead if he can manage that. 

Re: The Aries turn, I love that whoever lays out these matches and segments is always looking for ways to trick the crowd, who is very aware of pro wrestling tropes. Like, we all knew the turn was coming, but for a second, I thought that maybe they might draw it out and have Aries turn the next show. The height of this was everyone knowing that Owens and Zayn had lots of history in opposition to one another and waiting for a possible turn, but showing the end-PPV chyron for the Takeover before having Owens do the inevitable. Stuff like that makes these shows really fun. 

Nia Jax should do more powerbombs. I like that finish much more than the leg drop. 

All the squashes were fun and the opening match was a good, competitive little match. I guess that they're going to end up giving Dillinger a little push based on him having this angle where he's slipping - if he's like other plucky babyfaces Zayn and Bayley, he'll figure a way to turn it around and start winning his way up the card. 

Come on Tye! COME ON TYE! That's where I was on this episode. It was all a perfectly acceptable wrestling show but what I took way from this week is FINALLY, DILLINGER WILL GET A PUSH!

47 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Did anybody else noticed the "WHOOSH" sound effects in the opening titles?  Sounded as dumb as Oney Lorcan.

Definitely heard that.  The added parts to the theme are not a welcome addition for me.  It was just fine as it was, no need to add stuff like that.

4 hours ago, The Z said:

I still don't understand how anyone beating Tye Dillinger is supposed to be a huge upset. It's Tye Dillinger.

Right?! When Corey Graves on commentary said "You get one chance to be a 10 and he was and now it's gone" made me think "Uhhh, he loses all the time. Doubt one more will hurt him."

Even better was following that match/comment with Aries saying "Losing one match doesn't define you" during his promo. Anyways, good show as usual. 

I love how the crowd booed down an inappropriate attempt at Nak sing-along in the middle of the match.

That was a viscious powerbomb by Jax. Speaking of which, yeah, probably the best selling of Nak's finisher so far.

Fantastic chemistry between Graves and who-ever that young boy's name is.

And I suddenly love Aries.OAfoNDG.jpg

1 hour ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

I loved Tom's horrified gasp when Graves formally downgraded Dillinger to a 5

Even better was Graves' perfect Heenanism of throwing his pen down on the desk irritably and glowering at the camera as Tom was talking

I'm a big supporter of the idea of Graves being called up for Smackdown.  But the last few weeks really makes me hope they both come up.  Mauro and Young Boy Tom with Graves countering them would make for commentary magic.  Keep Bryon on Raw and I can't see why wouldn't be a possibility.

This show functioned as, and was srtructed like, a classic 'rassling program therefore I really dug it. Lots of background on the workers, promotion for upcoming events, good interplay of commentary & action, not giving away too much and it made everything seem special (past, present and future booking). It reminded me of a Watts UWF or classic ECW weekly show, really well done.

- RAF

• Like 1