DVDVR Message Board

Muhammad Ali Passes Away at Age 74 (January 17, 1942 - June 3, 2016)

RandomAct

I was shocked that he was only 74. Of course, knowing his "timeline" in regards of becoming the champ etc I should have known, but the disease made him seem much older. Inspirational boxer and champion at a time where it meant a boatload more than today.

On 6/4/2016 at 2:39 AM, The Natural said:

Beat me to it. Maybe the best post-fight promo in boxing history.

In a previous lifetime, I was in a relationship with a woman (Kris) who had a 6-year-old son (Nick) with autism and brain damage... he could barely speak. One day I was reading Dave Kindred's Sound and Fury, about the Ali/Howard Cosell relationship. Nick wandered over to me, saw the book and said one word, clear as day: "Ali."

Kris and I just stared at each other. Did that happen???

RIP champ. Rumble, young man, rumble.

• Like 3

I cry today like I've never cried for someone I didn't know. Yet I did know him because the man I saw on TV came across as genuine. His charisma not manufactured. It was him and he connected with me. I cry to day because growing up as a kid, it was Muhammad Ali who stood as my example of that fighting for what you believe is the only thing that matters. He taught me you can be a contradiction, a boxer who was a pacifist at heart, yet still be sincere.

He wasn't a perfect man, none are. Ask Joe Frazier. Ask his ex-wives. But those imperfections are dwarfed by the spirit of Muhammad Ali. His spirit was an example of contradiction if you think about it. A spirit that blotted out the sun yet still gave so much light to the world. That spirit captured my imagination as a child, helped shape some of my beliefs as a young man and made me pray for him in my now middle years.

This man. This Great Man, with unconquerable spirit is gone now. This has hit me very hard for Muhammad Ali touched my soul throughout my life. So few are warrior, poet and philosopher all at once, at least in terms of my life goes. Ali was all these and now he is at rest, we all should feel blessed for having known him, even if it as in a marginal way. I know I do.

• Like 6

Never mind that he is easily a top 3 fighter of all time,  what he did for a generation of Americans in the 60's is something today's sport athletes will have no clue about.  His defience to fighting in Vietnam when he was at his complete best as a fighter and willing to go to jail for it is incredible.   I mean can you think of ANY person in sports at the top of his game willing to do that for his beliefs.   

I remember a great story about when Don King introduced Mike Tyson to Ali early in Tyson's career. Ali and Tyson and Ali shook hands and embraced and during the embrace Ali whispered into Tyson's ear "You know he's stealing your money don't you?"

James

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Goddam, if we could get a webcam in heaven right now to see Dusty and Muhammed together shooting the breeze.

"So did you thee the Matt Hawdy thing?"

"I was under the weather and you still look like you made of leather."

"Oh, we rhymin' are we?"

"For the son of a plumber.  You got up here and just got dumber."

"Thith is gon' be hard times for both of us."

• Like 4