DVDVR Message Board

Muhammad Ali Passes Away at Age 74 (January 17, 1942 - June 3, 2016)

RandomAct

43 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Sounds like Muhammad Ali is in extremely poor shape, and some are saying it could be a "matter of hours".  I'm not ready for this.

Pugmire tweeted that.

• Like 1

Matter of hours?  Holy shit.  I don't know how he's been in recent years, but it seemed like despite Parkinsons he was doing relatively fine.  I'm not a boxing fan, but I am an Ali fan.  Just thinking about the impact he had not only in boxing but how he redefined it.  Seeing that it's very grave brings a lot of sadness.  I'm expecting to wake up to news of his death tomorrow and it's going to be super rough.

I keep watching Twitter hoping to see "Ali is improving", but I feel like it's not coming.  The man is one of the few heroes I've ever really had.  I don't want to think about the worst here.

It always gives me pause when PR reps do the full court press for when their clients make a trip to the hospital or wherever else. Most recently, it happened with Prince when he was being treated for a "flu" after his plane made an unplanned stop in Illinois. Of course, it's different for someone like Prince (who by most accounts was the picture of health) and someone like Ali who has been dealing with a degenerative disease for decades. However, in the case of Ali, that is what makes it imperative to be truthful. "Just a precaution" to "maybe a matter of hours" is quite the escalation.

Damn.

He was the Muhammad Ali of boxing. It's trite to even praise him; such was his greatness. But truly he was the intersection of so many things - the theatrical, the political and yes the boxing - and so so so great and so important and this is sad as fuck. Yep. Sad as fuck. People like Ali shouldn't die. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Vincey Greene said:

It's trite to even praise him; such was his greatness. 

All that needs to be said right there.

Well, aside from that 2016 is one enormous funeral so pour a glass and celebrate while you can.

Ali broke my laptop, incidentally. At least I'm blaming him. Dammit, champ!

Please forgive me, but I'm just at a loss right now.  So, so sad.  Was expecting to wake up to this, yet am at home and it happened just now.  I don't know/think just how much he meant to me, but this hurts a ton.  RIP, Muhammed.

Shit news to wake up to. Muhammad Ali. The fights, those memorable quotes (I've had two of them on my Facebook for years) and having to deal with Parkinson's disease. Thoughts with Ali's family and friends. R.I.P.

I'm going to take a different approach, because while I am sad that he has passed, come on now, the real Ali left us decades ago.  If there is an afterlife, and you are rewarded for what you did here, he's losing his shit and partying like a motherfucker right now.  

• Like 2