DVDVR Message Board

The Hardys Not Really Dumpster Fire But Kinda Sad But Kinda Awesome Thread

11 hours ago, caley said:

That Hardy segment is even better when you turn the subtitles on: "You want to fight for the New World back you will give one that's in the fish."

That is absolutely amazing. Lmao.

"You and your sarcastic ass" becomes "You and your sarcastic gasps" but in the Directors Cut, it becomes "You and yours are passing gas!"

Everything that Slammiversary changes in to is great too. Some Bursary.

I love all this Hardys talk.

11 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

Can we agree that this was the moment where Matt killed his chances at ever getting a big WWE main event push?

If he had nailed this, it would've been huge.

Rewatching this, I didn't think it was all that bad, maybe just take out the wish you were killed in a car crash line. I dig the finish "At SummerSlam, it's kill or be killed, and Matt Hardy.. will not die!"

11 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Well, not really.  WWE released Matt after they had to send him home from a European tour and he started making public anti-WWE comments in public.  He basically forced/dared the company to fire him.  That was right around the time he was posting odd Youtube videos and generally acting like he needed a stint in rehab.

The company didn't want Jeff to leave.  According to Metlzer, they tried to re-sign him to a new contract in 2008/09 and he wouldn't sign.  The WWE pushed Jeff pretty hard right up to the time he left and showed interest in him after he went to TNA (according to Meltzer).  Meltzer has mentioned several times over the years that Jeff could have gone back if he wanted to.  I imagine that window might have closed, though, since Jeff is almost 40, works a high-risk style that probably makes him the equivalent of a 63-year-old physically, and comes with a lot of baggage. 

For a while there, Meltzer thought Jeff would probably go back eventually.

At the end of last year, Jeff talked about seeing himself going back before he ends his career, mentioning the two things he never got to do that he wanted to were headline WrestleMania and work a Hell in a Cell match. Each year it kind of seems less likely, but it's always possible. I don't think Matt will ever go back but could see Jeff having that one last run.

The E/C show definitely needs to come back for Season 2 now, so they can do another "Hardy's Home Movies" segment.

At least there will be some good botchamania endings out of the new Hardys vid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

We're sleeping on Big Money Matt

This stuck with me as well.

Because boy it sounds so weird and out of place (which, thematically, jives with everything else, I guess).

Not knowing the details, is this a TNA moniker he uses?  Did Jeff go all SHOOT~ and reveal what Matt likes to be called in his everyday?

• Like 3

What's to nail, though

15 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

Can we agree that this was the moment where Matt killed his chances at ever getting a big WWE main event push?

If he had nailed this, it would've been huge.

I feel this angle was a setup for failure. How was this personal animosity supposed to end well? It was fool-hardy (pun intended) of Vince to even run with this.

Granted, IIRC the matches were good, though.

1 hour ago, Cyanide said:

Because boy it sounds so weird and out of place (which, thematically, jives with everything else, I guess).

Not knowing the details, is this a TNA moniker he uses?  Did Jeff go all SHOOT~ and reveal what Matt likes to be called in his everyday?

AND YOUR SARCASTIC ASS.

10 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Does the condo association know Matt has all of that stuff carved into the lawn next to the 16th hole?

LOL!  I don't think there's any strict enforcement of anything in that part of NC as evidenced by Jeff dirt biking on actual roads.

I don't know what Matt's accent is supposed to be since it goes back and forth between Madonna's fake English accent, something vaguely Jamaican and Dave Chappelle as Prince.

The Hardys are the definition of hillbilly new money.  Awesome, beautiful mansion with a glorified quonset hut out back.  Really nice house with a dirt bike jump built 10 feet away.  Jeff does get points for not having an above-ground pool, though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyanide said:

Yeah. Big Money Matt is the nickname he's been using in TNA for awhile now.  Basically, after feuding with ECIII for awhile, they did a double turn.  Matt turned heel and ECIII turned babyface.  ECIII's lackeys, Spud and Tyrus (Broadus Clay) turned on EC and became Matt's lackeys.  Somewhere in there, he started calling himself Big Money Matt - which is amusingly meta considering Jeff has probably been the bigger draw since 2008 or so.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

he started calling himself Big Money Matt - which is amusingly meta considering Jeff has probably been the bigger draw since 1998 or so.

Fixed, Matt has always been the lesser draw of the two, I think it kills him inside a little to know his little brother was always going to be more over than him, Matt tried to be the better wrestler and that didn't work so now I think he's trying to out weird Jeff which also is just not gonna work.

I wanna know why they ran Hardy V Hardy in WWE but put the kibbosh on it pretty quick. I heard at the time it was because they didn't want to work a programme together but ^that^ stands as contradictory.

And count me in as thinking Hardy coming back was gonna launch him into the main event too. He was fired, crowd chanted for him everytime Edge and Lita were onscreen, reappeared out of nowhere as surprise attacking Edge, cut that lacklustre promo and the wind deflated out of me, then him and Edge had what should have been a hate filled brutal and bloody match at Summerslam which was, again, lacklustre with zero venom or malice and Edge was allowed to go over. After that I gave up on Matt.

For the record, Cruiserweight Matt Hardy V1.0 was out of this world though - from the skits on making weight to the MattFacts

Just now, Technico Support said:

Can we sticky an all purpose "Hardy Boyz Dumpster Fire Thread" on the main page and move all posts to there? 

I was thinking about it since it exploded over 3-4 threads.

I just need the time.

• Like 1

I don't think the idea of Matt Hardy becoming a main eventer is completely ludicrous.  That ship has long since sailed (and drunkenly rammed into an iceberg), but for a while during his second WWE run, Matt was a really great wrestler.  His US title and ECW title runs were damn good.

• Like 1

Matt is the more technically sound of the two Hardy Boyz,  He works with economy of movement and his match pacing is really good especially when he works heel.... which seems to be a lot.

Jeff used to have a really good grasp on ring psychology, but the chronic got him and now he either has to be reeled in when he goes total spot monkey or inspired to move his ass when he drags the pacing.

• Like 1

I saw Matt live at a show a couple of years ago and he was a great heel. When the fans chanted, "Use a treadmill," he dragged his opponent to a bottom turnbuckle and jogged on him. It was superb. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I don't think the idea of Matt Hardy becoming a main eventer is completely ludicrous.  That ship has long since sailed (and drunkenly rammed into an iceberg), but for a while during his second WWE run, Matt was a really great wrestler.  His US title and ECW title runs were damn good.

This.  I think Jeff has indisputably been the bigger draw and more pushed of the two since at least his feud with Triple H.  Before that, it's debatable.  It's a little hard to remember now, but Matt looked like he had a high ceiling when he was US champ and feuding with MVP.  At the time, he was way over, was working good-great matches, and seemed likely to be pushed higher up the card.  It unraveled fairly quickly for him.  There was a window where he could have gotten a run as a main-eventer.

I haven't really been a fan since the MVP feud, but I've seen him in the indys a few times and he's done well.  He does a lot of the little stuff well.

I thought putting a major (lol) title on him in 2016 was a bad idea, but he wasn't bad as Big Money Matt, and his campy stuff since the I Quit match where he was stretchered out has been campy and ridiculous but very entertaining. 

BTW, did they explain the accent and I missed it.  The angle is that being unable to defeat Jeff in the I Quit match broke him.  I get that.  I even get the hair and coat.  I don't get the ridiculous speech pattern and the accent.  Is he playing a bad guy in Buckaroo Banzai 3 or something?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Fans fat shaming Matt Hardy is lolsome when, sight unseen, I can guarantee he was in better shape than most of the crowd.

Fans equate musculature with health thanks to the WWE and fitness magazines in general and that doesn't always factor in things like cardio.

It is always the Greek Adonis looking wrestlers like Lex Luger that gas out first while the pot bellied Dick Murdoch worker can go for an hour.

I was really liking the heel run Matt was doing lately until the LMS match.  He had his entourage that I found to be entertaining.  I wouldn't even have minded if he did the fake Willow deal and didn't say a word, just a one time thing.  But this is just super ridiculous.  I like Matt and was happy to see him overcome the issues he had in the past.  I even talked to him two years ago and he seemed to be A-OK  (this was soon after he finished ROH)  I don't think this angle is a descent into drug-filled madness as he is likely still of sound mind and body.  It's just that this was a horrible idea no matter who came up with it and if their PPV match ends all this nonsense then that's fine with me.

To be fair to Jeff, his match psychology was also on point when he worked heel.  There are a couple of matches in OMEGA where Jeff worked as Willow The Wisp and led Shannon Moore by the nose to the Promised Land.

I suppose Jeff is a product of Southern booking when he works face and his mind just defauts to void and follows the heel's lead since the heel usually calls the match and sets the pace.

The thing about Jeff though is he always had some sort of charisma that I'm not sure can be explained, but the dude was way over and sold a ton of merch. Hence the rumors of WWE wanting him back even though he was on like strike 5 or something.