DVDVR Message Board

ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL - Summer 2016

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

2002 called, it wants it's "MLS is a retirement home for washed up players" joke back.

1996 called, it wants it's "Years are sentient things that can make phone calls" joke back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

1996 called, it wants it's "Years are sentient things that can make phone calls" joke back.

Still not as big a hack job as your take on MLS.

To put things in perspective: the game I was at last night only saw one washed up European on either roster (SWP) and he was signed as a favor to his younger brother. The perception of MLS as a retirement league at this point couldn't be more wrong.

Super Mario was at RBA on Wednesday. He is young and crazy so I wouldn't mind bringing him in. Crazy is a very underrated intangible IMO. 

On 14/07/2016 at 4:14 PM, sabremike said:

Still not as big a hack job as your take on MLS.

Jozy Altidore.

Anyway, 20 years ago, £15 million got you Alan Shearer, leading scorer in Euro '96, and that was considered a stupid price to pay because the previous transfer record was £8.5 million (Stan Collymore). Today, £15 million gets you Jordan Ibe. Whose best career moments have been on loan in the Championship, and has barely played in the Prem. Money's out of control in this sport. Remember when Robinho's fee was considered excessive? He was cheaper than Andy Carroll (to Liverpool).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_British_football_transfer_fee_record

Why did Man U pay so much for Veron? Why did Denis Law and Allan Clark both do record transfers in back to back seasons in the 60s? Also, only one non-British player was a record transfer (into or out of) the British leagues before Bergkamp in '95.

If I ran a team I'd run half my scouts in South America and pick up like 10 good young players for 50 million total while Some Other Team blows 50 million on probably An Old Person who already plays in Europe.

I'll take that gamble. Basically I'd be Olympique Lyonnais or Sporting Lisbon, I guess.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 1:47 AM, Death From Above said:

If I ran a team I'd run half my scouts in South America and pick up like 10 good young players for 50 million total while Some Other Team blows 50 million on probably An Old Person who already plays in Europe.

I'll take that gamble. Basically I'd be Olympique Lyonnais or Sporting Lisbon, I guess.

This is what about half the ESC has been wanting us to do. And then we do that with Veron and everything goes to crap :shrug emoji:

There's this info screen at work, that occasionally shows news headlines, in between the adverts and traffic reports. I caught a bit of a headline this afternoon that just said New England Manager something something something. And I thought bloody hell, whatever Belichick's done now, it must be really serious if the British press is paying attention to it. And then I realised they meant the New Manager of England, not the Manager of New England.

• Like 3

The best thing about Super Sam Bionic Man* as England manager, is the Premier League season is 38 games, plus there's the cup competitions. Whereas England only play 12 times a year. So if you hate the style he makes his teams play, rejoice! You'll be seeing a lot less of it.

* Yes, Bolton fans actually called him that, in his playing days. When he looked like this:

bolton-wanderers-sam-allardyce-bolton-19

Harry Styles with a moustache.

• Like 2

To the brilliant boy city fan who took a picture of himself with a broken seat at RBA and bragged about it: we see your tweet and now everyone on Facebook does as well. Enjoy your league wide stadium ban! Oh and the clown identifies himself as the founder of the Bronx chapter of the American Outlaws. This is a perfect examply why I associate myself with Monty and the Sammers and not AO.