DVDVR Message Board

ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL - Summer 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Is it just me or are teams wearing their 2nd kits when it isn't necessary that they do so?

Today, Man City was wearing black when they could have easily worn blue at Stoke.  And now, Arsenal is in yellow at Leicester.

Tons of Scousers at today's NYC/LA match for Stevie G. Also these two guys. 

CqVHO6MWcAAhirt.jpg

No word yet if the Galaxy are in fact SAWFT. 

EDIT: NYC 1-0 LA. SAWFTness confirmed.

• Like 2

Champions League draw:

Pot 1: Real Madrid (holders), Barcelona, Leicester City, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Benfica, PSG, CSKA Moscow

Pot 2: Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Manchester City, Sevilla, Porto, Napoli, Bayer Leverkusen

Pot 3: FC Basel, Tottenham Hotspur, Dynamo Kiev, Lyon, PSV Eindhoven, Sporting CP, Club Brugge, Borussia Mönchengladbach

Pot 4: Celtic, AS Monaco, Besiktas, Legia Warsaw, Dinamo Zagreb, Ludogorets Razgrad, FC Copenhagen, Rostov

• Like 1

Group A: Paris, Arsenal,  Basel, Ludogorets

Group B: Benfica, Napoli, Dynamo Kyiv., Beşiktaş

Group C: Barcelona, Manchester City, Mönchengladbach, Celtic

Group D: Bayern, Atletico, PSV, Rostov

Group E: CSKA Moskva, Leverkusen, Tottenham, Monaco

Group F: Real Madrid, Dortmund, Sporting CP, Legia

Group G: Leicester, Porto, Club Brugge, København

Group H: Juventus, Sevilla, Lyon, Dinamo Zagreb

• Like 1

Honestly, it's not that bad for Leicester (who shockingly have a draw I can imagine them advancing from if they play well) or Tottenham, and Arsenal should easily be second in their group (assuming Paris is first). Man City should also get through though Monchengladbach is no joke team.

lol poor, poor Celtic. What a group.

2 minutes ago, Dewar said:

The Europa League will not feature HAMMER TIME this year, as West Ham just lost at home to some Romanian team to get knocked out of the competition.

I believe for the second straight year. 

Yup, same team two years in a row.

Brendan Rogers' losing streak in European away fixtures now stands at eight. Anyone see Celtic squeaking a draw to stop it in the group stages? Or winning a home game, for that matter?

Barcelona won't lose because the media will be all over HEY REMEMBER THAT GAME. Man City won't either unless they totally go into a coma. Gladbach are the best chance but even then, that team is no joke either. I honestly don't see them winning a game and that central defense is going to look mighty thin against the kind of firepower they are facing.

Thierry Henry is assistant coach for Belgium. I don't know how good he is as a coach, but it's certainly a Big Name coming in -- and quite handy given that he's young enough that the current players will know him and that he speaks French. Either way, he can't be worse than Vital 'The Depressed Dishrag' Borkelmans.

The Bundesliga starts tonight. I have a pretty good idea who's going to win that one... It's quite sad that I've long ago stopped hoping that Schalke will ever be champion again; I'm rooting for them to 'win it all' by ending second. Strange, that. It's also going to be interesting to see how Leipzig will fare.

48 minutes ago, Roman said:

Thierry Henry is assistant coach for Belgium. I don't know how good he is as a coach, but it's certainly a Big Name coming in -- and quite handy given that he's young enough that the current players will know him and that he speaks French. Either way, he can't be worse than Vital 'The Depressed Dishrag' Borkelmans.

The Bundesliga starts tonight. I have a pretty good idea who's going to win that one... It's quite sad that I've long ago stopped hoping that Schalke will ever be champion again; I'm rooting for them to 'win it all' by ending second. Strange, that. It's also going to be interesting to see how Leipzig will fare.

FWIW, Honigstein thinks Dortmund will win the league over Bayern, so at least one person thinks its not a total slam dunk. 

48 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

And the top 4 leagues get automatic CL spots starting in 2018, aka the Arsene Wenger rule.

What bullshit. The only teams who should not have to play qualifying rounds are the champions of the top leagues because it's called the CHAMPIONS League.

• Like 2

Final hours of the transfer period. Things always get a little crazy. I'm curious to see what fucked-up moves we're still going to get. I don't think anything can top Jasper Cillessen going to Barcelona. A horrible keeper with a horrible personality. Surely ter Stegen will keep him benched, but still.

David Luiz returning to Chelsea is a pretty shocking move too, though.