DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JUNE

Dolfan in NYC

Cubs finally broke their 23-game winning streak when Jake Arrieta starts... through no fault of his own, as he hurled 7 scoreless innings for a no-decision. His personal 20-game winning streak remains intact.

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cubs finally broke their 23-game winning streak when Jake Arrieta starts... through no fault of his own, as he hurled 7 scoreless innings for a no-decision. His personal 20-game winning streak remains intact.

Pretty wild that LAD takes the 1 H SO in the series opener, and then turns it right around on CHC in game 2. I expect both teams to absolutely tee off on one another today.

Arrieta was pretty good, as usual. Held LAD to 2 H through his 7 IP. He started missing the zone in his last inning and walked them loaded but struck out Justin Turner looking to end the threat. I can't say enough good stuff about the game Kazmir had, 6 scoreless on 1 H, 1 BB and 7 K. Nice to see him start to find a rhythm. Blanton was excellent as well, 2 perfect innings of relief.  

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

K-Rod has apparently been diagnosed with the Zika virus. 

Onto June!

That explains why Mark Lowe tried to close for Detroit yesterday.

Ron Fowler, executive chairman of the San Diego Padres is not happy. He apparently went on the radio and shredded the team for being "miserable failures".

He mentioned Shields by name and basically said that they don't have the right guys in place to compete. Pretty wild.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/san-diego-padres-exec-calls-team-miserable-failures-060116

5 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Ron Fowler, executive chairman of the San Diego Padres is not happy. He apparently went on the radio and shredded the team for being "miserable failures".

He mentioned Shields by name and basically said that they don't have the right guys in place to compete. Pretty wild.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/san-diego-padres-exec-calls-team-miserable-failures-060116

Shades of Ray Kroc?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

Shades of Ray Kroc?

He even made reference to Kroc getting on the PA and berating the team in his interview. At least he is familiar with the guy that blazed a trail for him to air out his club in public.

"The performance by our team (Tuesday), I can understand how (former owner Ray) Kroc would have grabbed the microphone. It's that frustrating."

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joe Lucia said:

The Padres have never been relevant. I find ownership getting in a huff about them continuing to be irrelevant amazing.

Absolutely true. In existence since 1969, winning records in only 14 of those seasons. A bigger group of sad sacks would be hard to find. Tony Gwynn deserved better than the Padres.

Funny thing is they threw a semi inside pitch over his head right before that.

@ESPNStatsInfo

Mookie Betts is the first player in baseball history to hit a HR in each of the first two innings in consecutive games. (via @EliasSports)

If the Brewers go into the AS break and are near .500 and still trade away all the pieces of remote value on their team, I will be a very sad and semi-angry man. Mostly sad.

And since we were just talking about how awful they are and always have been, the Padres go out and prove it tonight. Up 12-2 on SEA after 5, the M's got 5 in the 6th and 9 in the 7th and end up winning it 16-13. Mariners got SEVEN consecutive 2 out singles in the 7th!!

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

If the Brewers go into the AS break and are near .500 and still trade away all the pieces of remote value on their team, I will be a very sad and semi-angry man. Mostly sad.

You'd be angry about a bad team rebuilding and trading away assets for assets when it might actually matter instead of trying to stay in a wild card race that is clearly out of their reach. Do you really think the Brewers can not only keep pace with at least 3 of the Cards, Pirates, Mets, Nationals, Giants, and Dodgers, let alone actually gain on them? Cause that's the task the Brewers have in front of them. And I'm not even mentioning the Division, which they are 13 games out of already.

• Like 1

AJ Preller, still employed.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but Daniel Murphy being named player of the month for May was a load of bullshit.

Murphy in May: 1.096 OPS, .461 wOBA, 193 wRC+, 1.30 WPA.
Zobrist in May: 1.137 OPS, .477 wOBA, 204 wRC+, 2.11 WPA.

Zobrist has been completely lights out. 

Murphy had a higher average and a higher SLG. At the end of the day, it's a player of the month award and no one gives a shit when all is said and done.

Also, Marcell Ozuna had better stats than both of them, but he's a Marlin, so no one cares.

10 hours ago, El Dragon said:

You'd be angry about a bad team rebuilding and trading away assets for assets when it might actually matter instead of trying to stay in a wild card race that is clearly out of their reach. Do you really think the Brewers can not only keep pace with at least 3 of the Cards, Pirates, Mets, Nationals, Giants, and Dodgers, let alone actually gain on them? Cause that's the task the Brewers have in front of them. And I'm not even mentioning the Division, which they are 13 games out of already.

Semi-angry, I know how the business goes and am resigned to said fate. Hence whyI'd be mostly sad.

Hunter Pence to the DL, gone at least 8 weeks. He tore his hamstring completely off the bone and will likely have surgery to repair it. Even with all my hatred of SFG, there is no denying how much fun Pence makes watching baseball. Big blow for them, for sure. For a guy that was so durable for so long to get clipped by injury in two consecutive years is pretty shitty.

James Shields to the White Sox for minor leaguers Erik Johnson and Fernando Tatis Jr.; Padres eating half of the contract.