DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JUNE

Dolfan in NYC

This Reds series has been interesting...

Bryant with an historic game last night, 5-5 with 3 HR and 2 doubles, the only time that line has been recorded in MLB history.

Followed up tonight with a 15th inning game that featured the Cubs trotting out pitchers to play in LF because they were out of position players.

1 hour ago, FireThunder said:

This Reds series has been interesting...

Bryant with an historic game last night, 5-5 with 3 HR and 2 doubles, the only time that line has been recorded in MLB history.

True but Joe Adcock did hit 4 HRs with a double. 

So did Josh Hamilton. And Shawn Green (who also added a single, giving him arguably the greatest offensive game ever).

hmmmmm....that's a fun question. What's the greatest offensive game ever? My vote is either Green, or Mark Whiten's two grand slam game.

15 hours ago, Joe Lucia said:

So did Josh Hamilton. And Shawn Green (who also added a single, giving him arguably the greatest offensive game ever).

hmmmmm....that's a fun question. What's the greatest offensive game ever? My vote is either Green, or Mark Whiten's two grand slam game.

Mike Cameron was a foot away from topping all of them. 

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Mike Cameron was a foot away from topping all of them. 

The greatest thing to me about Cameron's game is that he and Boone went back to back twice in the same inning. What a ridiculous thing. 

I get that he's got some pop, but he's not any great shakes at the plate beyond that. He's hitting like .175 and has 17 K in 40 AB. Seems about right for a pitcher. Letting him hit seems silly. But, Posey will be behind the plate for him, so it's not as if they could use Buster in the DH spot.

I'm always salty about anything that has to do with SFG, but I would think this was dumb even if it was a Dodger pitcher. Unless it was Drysdale. Big D was the man.

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I remember in the mid 80s or so, the Yankees used Rick Rhoden as DH one day. 

Even funnier was the day is happened - Billy Martin batted him 7th

Bud Norris to LAD for two pitching prospects. One of them was at A, the other at AA. Norris would be on regular rest to go tomorrow to replace Kershaw, who hit the DL after taking the needle for his back.

Edited by grilledcheese

Yes, if the DH moves to a field position, the team no longer has a DH for the remainder of the game. Doesn't happen often, but sometimes due to an injury, the DH needs to replace a field player.

12 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

The greatest thing to me about Cameron's game is that he and Boone went back to back twice in the same inning. What a ridiculous thing. 

I had forgotten that part.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Yes, if the DH moves to a field position, the team no longer has a DH for the remainder of the game. Doesn't happen often, but sometimes due to an injury, the DH needs to replace a field player.

Sparky Anderson years ago did it and ended up having to let Willie Hernandez hit.  Think about that - a closer hitting.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

In his entire career - Mariano Rivera had three official ABs (4 total plate appearances)

And he was a starter to begin his career too, yet his ABs were way later. I imagine they were in blown saves where they just kept him in and such.