DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] JUNE 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 7:27 PM, Control said:

Watching FINDING NEMO. Forgot that the film starts with Marlon's wife and like 300+ of his children being murdered.

I cannot watch that or Keep On Swimming without feeling pains in my stomach.  Curse you, Pixar.  I didn't eat fish for weeks.

Short thoughts about the end of Friday the 13th V:

1. Somehow cosplaying as Jason gave Roy the power to make doors explode when he approached them, just like the real Jason. 

2. Little Reggie actually saves the teacher's life twice. Cool kid. 

3. The teacher falls down in the rain before the tractor bit and SyFy actually had to blur her breasts. I guess that sleazy fucking director made sure she didn't wear a bra for the shot. 

4. So, they left Tommy the hockey mask AND a butcher knife in his hospital room? Ooooookay...

Also, I seriously hope people don't analyze the Saw films in the future like us dorks do with trash like the Fridays.

For those that care, I dumped a few films into the countdown last night with more to come tonight. I am trying to put off some other things I want to do while home to just finish this thing. 

In other news, see Anaomlisa if you have not already. As with all good Kaufman films, that thing is still forcing itself to be processed with me.

• Like 1

I haven't actually seen any of these, but:

The Purge = 37% on Rotten Tomatoes
Purge: Anarchy = 56%
Purge: Election Year = 69%

Has there ever been any movie where its sequels kept improving, even if for only the first three parts?  I feel like this must be the only one.

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

that "well it gave us what we expected from Another Predictable Sequel" bullshit.

Like maybe the previous movies lowered expectations to where this one is now just meeting them?  That's funny if that's what happened.

Now that I'm looking, even a couple of the positive RT reviews are saying they don't even think Election Year is the best in the franchise.  But it looks like the appeal is "American politics are so outrageous right now that this outrageous movie is a completely appropriate commentary".

• Like 1

I was re-watching that Phil Spector movie.

You know, I still can't decide if Al Pacino is very, very good in this film. Or very, very bad. 

It reminds me a bit of Paz De La Huerta in Boardwalk Empire. A silly, cartoonish borderline-hilarious trainwreck of a performance that no one can possibly take seriously.

But then, looking at the deeply eccentric and warped people they were meant to be playing, maybe that was the idea?

I dunno. 

18 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I haven't actually seen any of these, but:

The Purge = 37% on Rotten Tomatoes
Purge: Anarchy = 56%
Purge: Election Year = 69%

Has there ever been any movie where its sequels kept improving, even if for only the first three parts?  I feel like this must be the only one.

The Purge franchise is sort of the opposite of the Saw series.

Saw started out with a genuinely interesting concept, but simply resorted to gore, blood, lame storytelling and a never-ending body count in the sequels, to the point most film-goers simply stopped caring.

The Purge started out with a genuinely interesting concept...and is expanding on it. It's looking at the human cost. It's looking at how this situation is screwing up everyone.  It goes into the politics. It goes into the anxiousness and terror of a situation like that.

Because, yes, if the government was doing this stuff, several people would absolutely kick up a fuss and try to stop it.     

I thought it worked because by the end of the movie he's less of a spectacle than a human being who is so out of time and place when it comes to relations with other people that he can't get out of his own way. It's almost tragic, except he's most likely a murderer who was justly convicted, and not a victim of circumstance and poor hairpiece choices. 

9 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I thought it worked because by the end of the movie he's less of a spectacle than a human being who is so out of time and place when it comes to relations with other people that he can't get out of his own way. It's almost tragic, except he's most likely a murderer who was justly convicted, and not a victim of circumstance and poor hairpiece choices. 

The main problem I have with the film is Mamet's insistence of "Well, he could be innocent. We just don't know? Maybe people just hate celebrities for being rich and successful and want to punish them!"

Dude, he wandered out of his house and flat-out told the chauffeur: "I just killed someone." The chauffeur, with no reason to lie about anything, testified to this. And, as several ex-wives said in court, he liked threatening women with guns and Russian Roulette games and had being doing so for 4 decades.

Like, you don't exactly have to be Miss Marple to work out what the fuck happened here. 

And it's nothing to do with people hating celebrities.  

I took it more as a parable about the court of public opinion than as a straight read of the facts of the case. The whole movie is really about that one moment where Helen Mirren sees him in that wig and realizes they're fucked. But yeah, a more ambiguous true crime case would've made it work better. 

1 hour ago, Reed said:

It reminds me a bit of Paz De La Huerta in Boardwalk Empire. A silly, cartoonish borderline-hilarious trainwreck of a performance that no one can possibly take seriously.

But then, looking at the deeply eccentric and warped people they were meant to be playing, maybe that was the idea?

I dunno. 

In hindsight, I thought the show sorely missed Lucy Danziger in the following seasons. I felt more invested in her character moreso than the romance between Nucky and Margaret that it took them seasons to arrive at and then subsequently cooled off on.

Even I though I loved Mr. and Mrs. Mueller, Lucy and Van Alden would have been fucking cash money.

I love how The Purge films have evolved from one shot gimmick to genuine dystopian satire. 

3 hours ago, Reed said:

.Because, yes, if the government was doing this stuff, several people would absolutely kick up a fuss and try to stop it.

The real story is what happened to society that helped bring about acceptance of that sort of government and who exactly is getting "purged."  

Do you really want to stop the Purge if the end result is that the people you ideologically think of as undesirable are getting the axe? 

Makes you think twice about xenophobic rants concerning immigration reform, doesn't it?  Suddenly that big wall that Mexico is supposed to pay for is there to keep illegals from escaping instead of preventing them from sneaking into the country

I'm not sure whether to be completely shocked that the Trump campaign hasn't complained about the marketing slogan for the movie (KEEP AMERICA GREAT~!) or if I should be absolutely terrified that they aren't complaining..

It's like when you tell that really offensive joke and see contemplation where you expected uneasy laughter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In hindsight, I thought the show sorely missed Lucy Danziger in the following seasons. I felt more invested in her character moreso than the romance between Nucky and Margaret that it took them seasons to arrive at and then subsequently cooled off on.

Even I though I loved Mr. and Mrs. Mueller, Lucy and Van Alden would have been fucking cash money.

Paz De La Huerta's main talent as an actress:

In real life, she's a crazy woman. 

But she has, perhaps, at least sufficient acting skills to portray an insane woman on-screen, too.  

23 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Realized that if you don't stick strictly to RT scores, you could make a solid argument for the LOTR trilogy.  RT has it going 91% -> 96% -> 95%.

Lionsgate has acquired Starz for 4.4 Billion (with a B)

The two companies combined will now encompass: a 16,000-title film and television library; the largest independent television business in the world, including 87 original series on 42 U.S. networks; a feature film business that has generated over $7 billion at the global box office over the past four years; operation of or investment in 30 channel platforms around the world, including the flagship STARZ platform reaching 24 million U.S. subscribers, the STARZ ENCORE network with over 32 million subscribers and five OTT services; and a growing presence in location-based entertainment and video games driven by the company’s deep portfolio of brands and franchises.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/699529-lionsgate-to-acquire-starz-for-4-4-billion

Went to see The Neon Demon on Wednesday. Fantastic, absolutely fantastic. Gorgeous and grotesque and Nicolas Winding Refn completely fully formed, for better and worse. As an unabashed fan, it was totally the movie I've wanted him to make. So glad I saw it in the theatre, rather than waiting for a video release. A little overlong, but he is so clearly in love with his shots that he holds them all for long beats. There isn't a moment during the film that you couldn't pause and be lost in the visuals. A film meant for a large screen.

The story isn't anything news, the young ingenue (Elle Fanning) arrives in Los Angeles to make it as a model and is immediately beset by vipers on all sides. And yet it unfolds exactly as you would expect and yet not at all. Honestly if Elle Fanning had ripped off her skin at the end and revealed herself to be a lizard skinned alien from another world, I would have been totally non-plussed ("Yep, that seems about right."). Spoiler, that isn't what happens.

Nobody with a weak constitution or delicate sensibilities should see this movie, hilariously Refn is definitely the kind of guy who would imagine himself to be some sort of enfant terrible provocateur and that is in full effect for this movie. While there is nothing as graphic as the head stomping scene from Drive, he spends the whole movie trying to unsettle you.

It basically plays as Black Swan by way of Beyond the Black Rainbow, definite horror vibe. Nothing really overtly terrible happens over the first hour, yet the mood set makes the fashion industry seem like the worst place in the world to be and, I imagine, quite truthful as well.

It's might be Cliff Martinez' best work as a scorer as well, though I might prefer his minimalist weirdness in The Knick more, I don't know that he's done better film work.

A definite must see for anyone who is a fan of Refn, especially those who like the direction he was going with Only God Forgives. For absolutely no one else though.

• Like 1

As said, it does drag a bit, but mostly because the story takes a back seat to visuals (holy fuck the visuals) and mood.

Best part of the screening were the two girls in the front row who kept up a chatter between themselves. They obviously knew nothing about the film going in beyond "fashion industry!" They were in turns bewildered and horrified, but got super wrapped up into the whole thing. I hope they went home, googled Refn, saw that he did movies with Gosling and became the weirdos of their social circle.

Saw Swiss Army Man on Thursday night.  Liked it, but I think some people are going to love it.  It's very Spike Jonzey.  Seemed like the kind of movie where the trailer gives everything away, but I wasn't expecting the dynamic between Dano and Radcliffe to work the way it does.

There was a Q&A with the directors after the screening and I learned that Daniel Radcliffe can just naturally make this face.  I would've thought they taped one of his eyes wide open or something.

2mx52dg.jpg

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Saw Swiss Army Man on Thursday night.  Liked it, but I think some people are going to love it.  It's very Spike Jonzey.  Seemed like the kind of movie where the trailer gives everything away, but I wasn't expecting the dynamic between Dano and Radcliffe to work the way it does.

There was a Q&A with the directors after the screening and I learned that Daniel Radcliffe can just naturally make this face.  I would've thought they taped one of his eyes wide open or something.

2mx52dg.jpg

He just looks like someone trying to do the Rock eyebrow but they kind of can't but they really want to.

• Rev Ray unpinned and locked this topic