DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] JUNE 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I watched Love and Mercy, the Brian Wilson biopic. John Cusack was very good as 80s Wilson and Paul Dano was fantastic as 60s Wilson, but the two timelines feel more like seperate movies happening at once than one piece. Elizabeth Banks has the toughest role as Wilson's future wife because she has to make the audience believe she could fall in love with someone as troubled as Wilson was at the time, and she's quite convincing. Paul Giametti is dependably skeevy as Wilson's abusive psychiatrist. It kind of peters out in the third act, mostly because it tries to wrap up years of legal wrangling over Wilson's relationship with the Doctor in short order. 

Also watched Zoolander 2. I laughed consistently during the entire thing and then turned to my wife afterwards and said, "That...wasn't a movie."  It's just moment to moment gags with nothing that came before or after mattering at all. It has no point of view, except for maybe five minutes of material about how the world of fashion and couture has become even more impenetrably weird since the first film. And there are dozens of celebrity cameos at a point when the joke is dead and Anchorman 2 pissed on its grave. That said, if you want to veg out and watch something dumb that will make you laugh without requiring any concentration at all this is it. 

Is there any consensus on what the worst Scorsese movie is? Because I'm watching the Last Temptation of Christ, and it's really not very good at all. There's all these cheesy zooms, and Harvey Keitel has ginger hair for some reason.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Is there any consensus on what the worst Scorsese movie is? Because I'm watching the Last Temptation of Christ, and it's really not very good at all. There's all these cheesy zooms, and Harvey Keitel has ginger hair for some reason.

If you cut Whos That Knocking some slack as being really a student film ..

bringing out the dead or new york, new york would be my choices.

id also grade Boxcar Bertha on a curve, but good for a low budget Roger Corman exploitation film. 

Boxcar Bertha was great.  Corman gives him half a million dollars and three weeks to make a sleazy gun moll movie and he made something engaging and funny and with some great touches here and there to keep it visually interesting.  You can really see him sink his teeth in.

On 17-6-2016 at 8:02 PM, Tabe said:

Soooooo.....  Warcraft - yay or nay?  Caveat: love the RTS games, haven't played WoW.

It's not as bad as people made it out to be. The question you need to ask is: would you enjoy watching a montage of all cut scenes from the games?

• Like 1

It's a remake that's not as good as the original? Jack going super-ham for no apparent reason?

It's better than Last Temptation though. Departed is disappointing slightly. Last Temptation is just not good at all.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What's wrong with The Departed? 

It does not share the moral ambiguity that make Infernal Affairs a great motion picture. 

In defense of Martin Scorsese, the script had to be rewritten as Martin correctly deduced that Disneyfied audiences in the west raised on happy endings and poetic justice would not accept a final act where the bad guy "won." 

Martin took a page out of Mr. Sardonicus and prepped his ending by making Damon's character so reprehensible and unlikeable that he was beyond sympathy, meanwhile IA's story allows audiences to appreciate Lau's character's predicament of owing a debt of honor to someone who has none.

The moral dilemma is accentuated by the fact that Eric Tsang's crime boss character is 90000% more terrifying than Nicholson's character despite Tsang's limited screen time.

• Like 1

Watched The Conjuring 2 yesterday and I'd say as far as having jump scares it surpassed the first one and it built some good tension for the ending but it kind of wrapped up too neatly and did not leave me with lasting feel of creepiness afterwards like the first one did, still a good sequel and way way better than Annabel was.

48 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I will check it out one day.  It just bugs me that watching this movie will somehow put money in the Warren's bank account.

Me too. I've been so conflicted over that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

It does not share the moral ambiguity that make Infernal Affairs a great motion picture. 

In defense of Martin Scorsese, the script had to be rewritten as Martin correctly deduced that Disneyfied audiences in the west raised on happy endings and poetic justice would not accept a final act where the bad guy "won." 

Martin took a page out of Mr. Sardonicus and prepped his ending by making Damon's character so reprehensible and unlikeable that he was beyond sympathy, meanwhile IA's story allows audiences to appreciate Lau's character's predicament of owing a debt of honor to someone who has none.

The moral dilemma is accentuated by the fact that Eric Tsang's crime boss character is 90000% more terrifying than Nicholson's character despite Tsang's limited screen time.

Despite it being on satellite I've only seen maybe five minutes of Internal Affairs so I'm in the dark there. And I'm kicking myself for not just digging into it even if I came in halfway through. 

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I will check it out one day.  It just bugs me that watching this movie will somehow put money in the Warren's bank account.

Why? Keep in mind I know nothing of the Warrens.

They're "exorcists" con artists (or, well, were. Ed is deceased and Lorraine is retired AFAIK)

Most notably, Amytiville and their oft debunked account of what happened there.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:25 PM, John Austin said:

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, saw that Undefeatable is on YouTube so I decided to give it a watch. Oh my. I had way more fun watching this. Laughed so hard, especially at the end.

Godfrey Ho is such a shit director.  At least this move doesn't splice white guys in ninja suits into it.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:02 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Despite it being on satellite I've only seen maybe five minutes of Internal Affairs so I'm in the dark there. And I'm kicking myself for not just digging into it even if I came in halfway through. 

IIRC it's on Netflix.  Otherwise you can find the DVD for sale cheap.  I saw a box set of all 3 movies at FYE for $10.