DVDVR Message Board

[TV] JUNE 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Binge watched Colony over the last 2 nights, started slow and remembered how much I hated "Lori" from Walking Dead.  Started pretty slow and I nearly tapped after 3 eps, but it found its stride towards the end.  Looking forward to S2.

If that was going to be the last season for New Girl, I would have thrown a brick through my TV. Fox needs to hold onto that show for as long as possible, everyone on there is hilarious. I could watch a Cece & Schmidt spin-off, too. What they DO need to get rid of is... Last Man on Earth. So boring.

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 2:13 PM, RIPPA said:

Orphan Black's 5th season will be its last

I'm really surprised they're wrapping up already, but, yeah, the story seems like it should reach a natural conclusion soon.  Extending it more than another season probably would entail lots of twists for twists sake.  And they'd probably either need to bring in some new clones to liven things up.  I quite like Sarah (aside from the bits than involve Felix), but a lot of the other clones need something to freshen up their stories.  Like a said a page or two back, Alison's wacky antics aren't interesting to me anymore and Cosima's character arc the past couple seasons can more or less be summed up as "sick". 

Telling Beth's story via flashbacks worked out quite well this season.

Following is The CW’s fall premiere schedule:

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4
8:00-9:00pm THE FLASH (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00pm NO TOMORROW (Series Premiere)

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5
8:00-9:00pm ARROW (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00pm FREQUENCY (Series Premiere)

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 6
8:00-10:00pm IHEARTRADIO MUSIC FESTIVAL NIGHT ONE

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7
8:00-10:00pm IHEARTRADIO MUSIC FESTIVAL NIGHT TWO

MONDAY, OCTOBER 10
8:00-9:00pm SUPERGIRL (The CW Premiere) 
9:00-10:00pm NO TOMORROW (Premiere Episode Encore)

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13
8:00-9:00pm DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (Season Premiere) 
9:00-10:00pm SUPERNATURAL (Season Premiere)

MONDAY, OCTOBER 17
8:00-9:00pm SUPERGIRL (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00pm JANE THE VIRGIN (Season Premiere)

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21
8:00-9:00pm THE VAMPIRE DIARIES (Season Premiere) 
9:00-10:00pm CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND (Season Premiere)

Re: The Fox lineup...how the everloving fuck is Hell's Kitchen still on the air?  Every season is exactly the same.  Where do they keep finding "professional cooks" dumb enough to ruin risotto and scallops every single time?  Surely the well should have run dry by now.

I only spent 3 months as a prep cook 20+ years ago and I make perfect scallops every single time.

Odds and ends: I just binge watched all of Silicon Valley and it's an awesome, awesome show.   Ray Donovan starts Sunday and I'm psyched.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Randy said:

Yeah after the episode last night, it said "THE END".  So it was pretty apparent.

I caught the series finale this morning.  It was a very strong episode and a satisfying conclusion.

I missed bits and pieces of Season 2 so I may binge watch this weekend.

On June 19, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Jamal said:

Just finished season 4 of Orange is the New Black. I thought it was better than season 3 but really emotionally draining. I know they're criminals but can't they catch a break sometime? lol 

Half way through the season. Chapman is such a piece of shit.

• Like 1

Thursday, Sept. 15

7:30 PM, ET THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL PRE-GAME SHOW

8:25 PM, ET THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (NY Jets @ Buffalo Bills)

Sunday, Sept. 18

8:30-10:30 PM CASE CLOSED (LIMITED SERIES, PART 1)

Monday, Sept. 19

8:00-8:30 PM THE BIG BANG THEORY (10th Season Premiere)

8:30-9:00 PM KEVIN CAN WAIT (SERIES DEBUT)

9:00-11:00 PM CASE CLOSED (Part 2)

Tuesday, Sept. 20

8:00-9:00 PM NCIS (14th Season Premiere)

9:00-10:00 PM BULL (SERIES DEBUT)

10:00-11:00 PM NCIS: NEW ORLEANS (3rd Season Premiere)

Wednesday, Sept. 21

8:00-9:30 PM SURVIVOR (90-Minute 33rd Season Premiere)

9:30-11:00 PM BIG BROTHER (90-Minute Season Finale)

Friday, Sept. 23

8:00-9:00 PM MACGYVER (SERIES DEBUT)

9:00-10:00 PM HAWAII FIVE-0 (7th Season Premiere)

10:00-11:00 PM BLUE BLOODS (7th Season Premiere)

Saturday, Sept. 24

10:00-11:00 PM 48 HOURS (29th Season Premiere)

Sunday, Sept. 25

7:30-8:30 PM 60 MINUTES (49th Season Premiere)

8:30-10:30 PM CASE CLOSED (Part 3)

Monday, Sept. 26

8:00-8:30 PM THE BIG BANG THEORY

8:30-9:00 PM KEVIN CAN WAIT

9:00-11:00 PM Presidential Debate

Wednesday, Sept. 28

8:00-9:00 PM SURVIVOR (Regular Time Period)

9:00-10:00 PM CRIMINAL MINDS (12th Season Premiere)

10:00-11:00 PM CODE BLACK (2nd Season Premiere)

Sunday, Oct. 2

8:00-9:00 PM NCIS: LOS ANGELES (8th Season Premiere)

9:00-10:00 PM MADAM SECRETARY (3rd Season Premiere)

10:00-11:00 PM ELEMENTARY (5th Season Premiere)

Monday, Oct. 3

9:00-11:00 PM SCORPION (2-Hour 3rd Season Premiere)

Monday, Oct. 10

9:00-10:00 PM 2 BROKE GIRLS (1-Hour 6th Season Premiere)

10:00-11:00 PM SCORPION (regular time period)

Monday, Oct. 17

9:00-9:30 PM 2 BROKE GIRLS (regular time period)

9:30-10:00 PM THE ODD COUPLE (3rd Season Premiere)

10:00-11:00 PM SCORPION

Monday, Oct. 24

8:00-8:30 PM KEVIN CAN WAIT (New Time Period)

8:30-9:00 PM MAN WITH A PLAN (SERIES DEBUT)

9:00-9:30 PM 2 BROKE GIRLS

9:30-10:00 PM THE ODD COUPLE

10:00-11:00 PM SCORPION

Thursday, Oct. 27

8:00-8:30 PM THE BIG BANG THEORY (Regular Time Period)

8:30-9:00 PM THE GREAT INDOORS (SERIES DEBUT)

9:00-9:30 PM MOM (4th Season Premiere)

9:30 -10:00 PM LIFE IN PIECES (2nd Season Premiere)

10:00-11:00 PM PURE GENIUS (SERIES DEBUT)

CBS Premiere Schedule

15 hours ago, Control said:

Half way through the season. Chapman is such a piece of shit.

12 hours ago, Randy said:

I'm through episode 5.  Every time they cut to whatever Piper is doing, I am so bored.  I just want them to get back to any other character, who are more interesting.

I wish they would release her or kill her. Even Alex is better when she's not in her orbit. 

7 minutes ago, Jamal said:

I wish they would release her or kill her. Even Alex is better when she's not in her orbit. 

I remember halfway through the second season thinking, "why is Piper still the focus of this show?"  I don't think they need to get rid of her, but she is not even in the top 10 most interesting characters on the show.  Everyone else on the show, no matter how heinous their crimes, have something about them that makes us want to root for them.  They all tend to be there based on being flawed people in bad circumstances.  Piper is essentially a criminal just because she is a terrible fucking person. There was no real reason for her to turn to a life of crime other than the fact that she really wanted to be a criminal.

11 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I think Person of Interest was supposed to end on a hopeful note, but I mostly found the last few episodes bleak and depressing.

The series finale left open the hugest of windows for a spin-off, so it wasn't that depressing.   The work will continue when someone sorts out the new pilot.

Spoiler

I was sad yet thankful that Reese got to go out in a manner fitting his badassery.

11 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I think Person of Interest was supposed to end on a hopeful note, but I mostly found the last few episodes bleak and depressing.

True, though I still thought it was one of the better done season finales I've seen.  The show in general has had more than its share of downers and Pyrrhic victories so the ending was actually a lot more upbeat than I thought it would be.

Spoiler

I'm really surprised Harold lived as I'd been expecting him to die before the show wrapped for some time.  Wonder if the ending of him reuniting with his wife was real or not?

18 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Hide contents

I'm really surprised Harold lived as I'd been expecting him to die before the show wrapped for some time.  Wonder if the ending of him reuniting with his wife was real or not?

Spoiler

Given the way Harold just disappeared from the shot when his wife looked at him, I assumed that part wasn't real.  Though if it wasn't real, I dunno what it was supposed to be.  Harold having a waking dream about reuniting with his wife?  His ghost saying good bye?  The Machine dredging up a pleasant memory?

If there's a spinoff, I kinda hope they do a semi- or complete reboot and not base the show around Shaw (as suggested by the ending).  I don't dislike the character or the actress, but I don't really buy Sarah Shahi in the tough gal roles she often takes.  I feel like her best shot at carrying a show is going to be something like the USA series she starred in (Fairly Legal) - a fairly light drama.  She was immensely appealing in that show (the show around her needed a lot of work, though).

I'm kinda sad CBS passed on the Nancy Drew pilot she starred in.  That seems more like something I'd want to watch her in.

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

After renewing it in February - HBO has decided to cancel Vinyl

Wonder why they renewed it in the first place?  Ratings for the premiere - which is generally the highest rated ep of the season for a new show - were fairly bad.  About half the viewership of, say, the Leftovers, first season.  And Leftovers S1 got fairly bad ratings compared to other HBO shows.  Maybe they thought it'd be a critical hit. 

I'd be curious to know how often shows get canceled for creative reasons (ie, network doesn't think the show is very good or will get better next season).  I know it happens, but my sense is that it's more often a ratings/cost decision.

I won't miss Vinyl.  It had potential, but I thought it was mostly average and there really weren't sympathetic characters.