DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 ANIMATED GIF THREAD

I think he was definitely looking pretty husky around the mid-00s, which was always kind of the knock on his WWE prospects, and those tight muscle-tee style tops didn't do him many favors, but I thought he really got himself in pretty good shape and had a strong look as Kassius Ohno (though apparently still not up to the standards of The Powers That Be).

And the last few years post-NXT... well, at least he's comfortable in his own skin.

I'm ok with fat guys elbowing the shit out of people. As a matter of fact, I encourage it...in a wrestling context of course. We can't just have pudgy bastards laying in elbows on the pizza delivery guy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ramsey said:

I'm ok with fat guys elbowing the shit out of people. As a matter of fact, I encourage it...in a wrestling context of course. We can't just have pudgy bastards laying in elbows on the pizza delivery guy.

Man you and the cops always judging me...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

To quote the late Art Donovan, how much does this guy weigh?  That's some scary weight gain in a relatively short time.  I'm concerned for his well-being at this point - is he unable to train?  Thyroid issues?

When he first turned up looking definitely bigger than he had in NXT, I'd heard he'd had some sort of injury (back, maybe?) that kept him from training.  But that was a while back, so no idea what the story is now.  Maybe it's just a matter of just being a dude of size who's not getting any younger.  

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

To quote the late Art Donovan, how much does this guy weigh?  That's some scary weight gain in a relatively short time.  I'm concerned for his well-being at this point - is he unable to train?  Thyroid issues?

It is indeed thyroid issues.

• Like 1

Not to further derail the gif thread into CHRIS HERO HEALTH WATCH~ but the thyroid stuff was news to me and got me a-Googling and apparently he addressed the concerns in a nice little response to a Reddit AMA last year.  Neat snippet into Performance Center life vs the road, too (and it's crazy to imagine he was clocking in under 200 even during his Ohno run):

Link

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/378z3a/wreddit_favorite_chris_hero_here_w_an_ama_to/crkqxpk

Full text

Spoiler

In developmental you're weighed every Monday. You're told it's not so much about a "number" than it is a certain look. At my fittest in WWE I weighed in at 197 (I was typically in the 220 range and had just finished a juice fast). This was a month before I was terminated which makes it ABSURD that some cling on to the rumor that I was let go because I was LAZY and SKIPPING WORKOUTS. Yes, there was a time in early 2013 where I was sat for a number of months to motivate me to get into better shape. I did. Those who are unaware can watch my last few NXT matches: Harper x2, Breeze, Rusev.

It was actually hard to gain any weight there because of how much we worked out, how much we trained & how often we had shows. Ask some of the guys about the training schedule at the PC in Summer 2013.

I've definitely put on weight. My weight was on a slow incline for the first 9-10 months I was back. I threw my back out last summer (brutal back spasms.. muscular, nothing spinal or disc related). This took a long while to rehabilitate from. I only took one booking off and maintained a full schedule of 10ish shows a month. Should I have taken a few extra bookings off? Debatable.

I was tipping the scales at 260 at one point. I'm now fluctuating from 235-245 w/ a small goal of losing another 20ish. I actually had some blood work done 2 weeks back. I was aware of a mild thyroid issue from late 2011 but my TSH came back this time at 9.23. My Dr. wrote "Wow" on my charts, heh. I'm starting prescriptions this week & eager to see how this improves my overall condition.

What you look like is calories in v. calories out right? Sometimes the chemistry decides to throw some salt in your gas tank.

Re: the fat shaming.. With wrestling I also quote Jimmy Jacobs: "If it's good, it's good." Same goes for humor w/ me. If it's funny, it's funny. I don't mind being the butt of jokes. I'm often laughing at myself. I'm clearly okay being in the public eye. I don't feel the need for exterior validation. It's nice to have but, at the end of the day, I have to be happy with myself.

It's difficult to train & eat right on the road but it CAN be done. It's about establishing habits and patterns. If you want it enough (regardless of what 'it' is) you'll find a way to make it happen.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cyanide said:

Not to further derail the gif thread into CHRIS HERO HEALTH WATCH~ but the thyroid stuff was news to me and got me a-Googling and apparently he addressed the concerns in a nice little response to a Reddit AMA last year.  Neat snippet into Performance Center life vs the road, too (and it's crazy to imagine he was clocking in under 200 even during his Ohno run):

Link

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/378z3a/wreddit_favorite_chris_hero_here_w_an_ama_to/crkqxpk

Full text

Reveal hidden contents

In developmental you're weighed every Monday. You're told it's not so much about a "number" than it is a certain look. At my fittest in WWE I weighed in at 197 (I was typically in the 220 range and had just finished a juice fast). This was a month before I was terminated which makes it ABSURD that some cling on to the rumor that I was let go because I was LAZY and SKIPPING WORKOUTS. Yes, there was a time in early 2013 where I was sat for a number of months to motivate me to get into better shape. I did. Those who are unaware can watch my last few NXT matches: Harper x2, Breeze, Rusev.

It was actually hard to gain any weight there because of how much we worked out, how much we trained & how often we had shows. Ask some of the guys about the training schedule at the PC in Summer 2013.

I've definitely put on weight. My weight was on a slow incline for the first 9-10 months I was back. I threw my back out last summer (brutal back spasms.. muscular, nothing spinal or disc related). This took a long while to rehabilitate from. I only took one booking off and maintained a full schedule of 10ish shows a month. Should I have taken a few extra bookings off? Debatable.

I was tipping the scales at 260 at one point. I'm now fluctuating from 235-245 w/ a small goal of losing another 20ish. I actually had some blood work done 2 weeks back. I was aware of a mild thyroid issue from late 2011 but my TSH came back this time at 9.23. My Dr. wrote "Wow" on my charts, heh. I'm starting prescriptions this week & eager to see how this improves my overall condition.

What you look like is calories in v. calories out right? Sometimes the chemistry decides to throw some salt in your gas tank.

Re: the fat shaming.. With wrestling I also quote Jimmy Jacobs: "If it's good, it's good." Same goes for humor w/ me. If it's funny, it's funny. I don't mind being the butt of jokes. I'm often laughing at myself. I'm clearly okay being in the public eye. I don't feel the need for exterior validation. It's nice to have but, at the end of the day, I have to be happy with myself.

It's difficult to train & eat right on the road but it CAN be done. It's about establishing habits and patterns. If you want it enough (regardless of what 'it' is) you'll find a way to make it happen.

Thanks for the link.  Holy shit, he was 197lbs in NXT at one point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Is this from that weird PPV that had a wrestling match, a boxing match, an mma match, etc?

No, it's Angle vs not a Wrestler. Or most likely they pulled a switcheroo.

Hero was approaching 300 in his earlier indy days. I'd imagine he's had thyroid issues the whole time on top of varying levels of not giving a shit about it. He could still go at his largest size either way. A 6'3"ish 280+ lb guy with the stamina and agility he still had at that size is probably not someone you'd want to piss off. Seeing him in his final NXT match that made air, muscles were actually showing, which shows just how lean he had to get without drugs to have any type of physique. Claudio went in the other direction of course, starting out as a beanpole and slowly putting on more muscle over the years and leaning out over time. He was bulkier at one point, but still big. I have no clue what his real weight and whatever he maxed out are, but I'd bet he was like 170 or so when he started wrestling.

• Like 1

The biggest problem is that he isn't fat enough.  He looks like a dude who would be in good shape if he just cut back on the ice cream.  If he was fat like Big Damo or even Bull Dempsey I think he'd be perceived differently. 

• Like 3