DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

7 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Didn't Heenan or someone say that he was a tad bit drunk by that point in the show and that's why he blurted out "who's side is he on". It wasn't so much that was an accident with typical WCW, but Heenan was kinda sloshed.

20 years. I think I was getting ready to waste a summer in summer school for a math class I wasn't gonna pass so this was at least a fun way to start it.

Maybe a better way to go about it would have been for one of the WCW guys to be knocked out backstage pre-match forcing a 2 on 2 (Luger would have been ideal because nobody ever trusted him)... and then you can have Hogan walk out later with the notion he's the replacement and to tip the scales in WCW's favor. 

Talking about Bash at the Beach and the NWO turning 20 started making me think about that time period a little (I've also been re-watching 1997 Nitro).

One thing I hear a lot is that the NWO got real stupid and watered down once it was bloated with a ton of people, but for some reason I always thought it was just a really, really cool visual to have 5 limos pull up with 30 guys getting out, having them all walk down that long ass WCW aisle. I think it also helped Sting look like a major badass taking out that many guys at once-- in retrospect, some of those segments look like they're out of a Batman movie. And I think that's a good comparison to make: every major villain has to have their henchmen right? If the Joker can have nameless, faceless guys in ski masks, what's wrong with Hogan, Savage, and the Outsiders having Vincent, Bagwell, Crush etc?

• Like 1

Regarding Kofi doing Austin's promo, I got a huge kick out of Xavier playing Jake.  The only time he didn't play Jake was to replace the F in WWF to E.  Funny, funny video.  And that DDT video is hilarious.  They're that company that I should check out more and I have no earthly idea why I don't.

23 hours ago, CanadianChris said:

Considering that Heenan apparently didn't know what was coming, and how he talked shit about Hogan for two decades, you're all being a bit harsh with the "why did he spoil it!?!" thing.

I wish WCW would've let Heenan have a paid vacation for the summer and just have Hogan send his nWo goons to rough up Bobby for all the shit he talked for the past twenty years (I know Heenan couldn't take a bump but you can shoot it in ways that hide the fact he never actually bumps) I always thought it was odd Hollywood Hogan was so insecure about what the WCW guys were saying about him and how it had to always be about him but was seemingly okay with the announcers trashing him

If Dory Funk Jr is Hoss Funk, and Rey Mysterio Jr is Rey Mysterio, and Chavo Guerrero Jr is Chavo Guerrero, why is Zack Sabre Jr not Zack Sabre?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

If Dory Funk Jr is Hoss Funk, and Rey Mysterio Jr is Rey Mysterio, and Chavo Guerrero Jr is Chavo Guerrero, why is Zack Sabre Jr not Zack Sabre?

If he sticks he'll just be Sabre when he hits the main roster.

• Like 5

Not sure where to put this....

I'm trying to find a "tape trader" I used to deal with.  His website was called "Wrestling Power" or something like that and the web address was Comcast.something something.  Nothing came up on Google and I don't remember his real name or much else about him.  Bought indy dvds from him a few times.  He tended to have a lot of old indy/territory footage from the mid-atlantic/south - ie, some OMEGA shows, Smoky Mountain, NWA Fusion out of Virginia, etc.  I bought mostly fancam footage from him.  I want to say he taped a lot of those shows himself.  I vaguely recall thinking he taped at least some of the Smoky Mountain footage i got from him personally. I also think he taped a lot of the VA fancam footage himself.  

I'd like to find him again.  He had some good footage of regional wrestlers like Sean Denny and Mark Bravura who don't work for the larger indys that release DVDS regularly.

Literally the only other things i remember about him is that he had some sort of podcast/webshow/public access TV show called "Wrestling Power" and I think he used to post on the DVDVR once in a while.

If this sounds familiar to anyone and someone knows how to track him down, let me know.  Thanks.

How long until WWE tries to sign Sajad Gharibi?

Seriously, google the guy. I don't even want to put a picture of him up, because I'm not sure his body can fit into the photo size restrictions on this board :P

• Like 1