DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

20 Years Ago Today:

I am extremely old. 

Classic promo. Just think In quick succession, there was this promo and Hulk Hogan's heel promo with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall from Bash at the Beach 1996:

Wow.

• Like 2

Wow, 20 years. It's so weird thinking back - Superstars was pretty much the only wrestling you could get in the UK at one point, though we started to get RAW on a Friday tea time later on. As a result, I distinctly remember during squash matches when they started the switch over from Ringmaster to Stone Cold, the commentators would constantly go on about how cold and methodical and vicious Steve Austin had gotten since the Dibiase split and his promos were this really measured and monotonous tone not the antagonistic and in your face Stone Cold who lit the business on fire.

Similarly I remember when Kama Mustafa begin to morph into The Godfather, he'd just come to the ring to second D'Lo or The Rock and would be wearing a fedora and smoking a cigar despite being in his NOD singlet and the commentators would constantly mention how much he looked like a gangster out of the Godfather. Fuck knows why all this has stuck in my head 20 years on when I can't remember my 9 times tables or my best friends birthday.

EDIT - oh and I totally remember the Rock started referring to himself as the People's Champ and all that after Princess Diana died and the media were calling her the People's Princess all the time

• Like 3

Oh and me and my missus were planning summer holiday excursions last night and she mentioned she'd really like to visit Jane Austen's home-museum. I tell you boys, I'll be pissed if they don't sell an Austen 3:16 t-shirt in the gift shop

• Like 14

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Classic promo. Just think In quick succession, there was this promo and Hulk Hogan's heel promo with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall from Bash at the Beach 1996:

Wow.

I love Heenan, but goddamn it, his "Who's side is he on!?" line still pisses me off.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I love Heenan, but goddamn it, his "Who's side is he on!?" line still pisses me off.

It used to bother me too, but then I got to thinking: I didn't even notice it as a kid watching the original broadcast. I think it's because I had been listening to Heenan trash talk Hogan on old WWF tapes for a while by then, and it really wasn't out of the norm for him to say something like that regardless of what was about to happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Oh and me and my missus were planning summer holiday excursions last night and she mentioned she'd really like to visit Jane Austen's home-museum. I tell you boys, I'll be pissed if they don't sell an Austen 3:16 t-shirt in the gift shop

Austen 3:16 says, "There is no charm equal to tenderness of the heart."

Aw hell yeahhhh.

• Like 12

45 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Oh yeah, at the time (on scrambled ppv), I didn't think anything of it. Just classic Heenan. Looking back though, it minutely soiled what was to be, one of the biggest moments in wrestling. 

I feel you. I didn't watch the clip that was posted because I'm on mobile at work, but I'm surprised WWE left it in. I've seen it edited out in certain DVDs and things. Likewise with Nash's "Look at the adjective" line from Nitro a few weeks before this

At the time it would have been far more suspicious if Heenan said "Hooray, Hogan will save the day!" since he trashed Hogan on a semi-regular basis. Watching it live at the time I thought nothing of it so I don't think it spoiled anything.

• Like 8

I didn't mind the line at all, and that match/show is easily the best commentary those three ever did together, and up there on my list for favorite single-match announcing performance (JR during the Taker/Foley HIAC is still probably number one, though). All three guys sounded legit amped up and on edge the whole night, and Tony sounded like he was about to cry by the end. 

48 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I didn't mind the line at all, and that match/show is easily the best commentary those three ever did together, and up there on my list for favorite single-match announcing performance (JR during the Taker/Foley HIAC is still probably number one, though). All three guys sounded legit amped up and on edge the whole night, and Tony sounded like he was about to cry by the end. 

Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell. Straight to hell.

• Like 3