DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

7 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Big E has the talent to be WHC.  Several accounts suggest Vince was high on him during his developmental days.  But I agree that he would have to go through some character changes as not appear to be too much of a jokester.

Even past those reports, it'd make more sense if Big E IS being given the "comedy" aspect to help it.

It was said at the beginning of the Reigns push that Reigns was Triple H's choice for next "face of the company", while Big E was Vince's choice to be next face of the company. Triple H has won out.

However, since then- Reigns has been pushed as face of the company (which made him a top face right now, but unpopular)- while Big E formed the New Day, and the whole group was given a lot of personal freedom with their promos no one else gets (and that freedom usually leads to better promos, and eventually bigger stars.)

Put those in, and I'd be more likely to believe "not only is Big E a future WHC, but The New Day push has been specifically to make Big E a top star the way it always happened instead of giving Big E the stench of 'manufactured star' so that Vince will eventually get his way."

• Like 1

I thought the story went that Big E. was Vince's first choice, but in typical Vince fashion, he lost interest quickly and moved onto Reigns. I don't remember hearing the part about Triple H picking Reigns to be the next "guy".

18 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Someone may be able to pull an example out of their hat but I don't think Vince has ever had a wrestler with a comedic gimmick have a big title run,

Hulk-Hogan13.jpg

RockyMaivia_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I've always associated them as a faction. There's no reason why they couldn't even indoctrinate a Jimmy Garvin type as a close ally.

I was big on having Tyler Breeze be the unofficial fourth New Day member considering how close he is to Xavier Woods and how much chemistry they have on UUDD and Game Night, but now dude is stuck in a lower-card tag team with Fandango, IOW about twelve months away from being future-endeavored. 

11 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Big E has the talent to be WHC.  Several accounts suggest Vince was high on him during his developmental days.  But I agree that he would have to go through some character changes as not appear to be too much of a jokester.

Run the old ECW gimmick when Stevie Richards was in BWO and got his Heavyweight Title shot.  Scrappy underdog who never took anything seriously now has to step up and get serious.  His future is staring him in the face.  Once in a lifetime opportunity.  Boy becomes a man.

• Like 7

The idea that a guy can't be funny and goofy as a main event/ champ  level guy is fucking stupid and limited thinking. 

I argue about this with a pal of mine who's always going on about how "If Big E is going to ever be a singles star he needs to drop the comedy and be a serious ass kicker." I respond that they already tried him as all serious and it stunk. He's a naturally funny dude, where is it written that a giant muscle bound asskicker can't be goofy and funny?

• Like 8

To me, funny doesn't equal money means that a comedy feud isn't going to fill up arenas. It doesn't mean that a guy can't crack some jokes as long as he's actually funny. I trust Big E could probably take some of those lame jokes they made Roman tell and make them funny.

Bryan was still doing the odd couple/anger management/ I am not the weak link comedy stuff right up to the point where he got slotted into the Cena title match at Summerslam '13, and had already inflicted the Shield's first defeat in a 6 man match by that point,  a relatively big deal at the time

They toned it down once he won the title because they went with the depressing authority screwjob storyline but him being goofy as hell certainly didn't stop him becoming a credible main event challenger

12 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I was big on having Tyler Breeze be the unofficial fourth New Day member considering how close he is to Xavier Woods and how much chemistry they have on UUDD and Game Night, but now dude is stuck in a lower-card tag team with Fandango, IOW about twelve months away from being future-endeavored. 

Plus, now he's got melanoma. #mitb

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

There's always been a belief that funny doesn't equal money. I can appreciate that line of thought in the territory days but in 2016 with everyone so self aware? Gimme a break

Don't tell Colt Cabana; funny mah not make money, but funny works for him.

I can't find the exact story now but Freddie Prinze Jr was on Sam Roberts' podcast and told some stories about working for Vince.

And one of them was basically that Vince watches wrestling 24/7 and expects people to do the same.

So like one time they were on a plane and Vince asked Freddie what he was watching and Freddie was watching a Richard Pryor comedy special. And Vince couldn't understand why he wasn't watching like Mania and Freddie was like "Vince - I just want to watch comedy." And Vince - God Bless him - goes "Then watch Santino!"

God I need to find the full blurb

EDIT - AH-HA!

It is very rare to come across information on how WWE Chairman Vince McMahon really operates behind the scenes but recently Freddie Prinze Jr, a former WWE writer spoke to the Sam Roberts Wrestling Podcast and shared some very interesting tit bits about Mr. McMahon. For instance, the WWE Chairman has very little interest in anything other than the world of wrestling and is apparently unaware of much of the pop culture of the time.

Prinze Jr. said, "I used to call him Robo-Vince and he goes, 'what does that mean?' because he [has] never seen anything but wrestling. I'm like, 'you've never seen RoboCop? Of course not! You didn't see Scarface or you would have known Razor Ramon is plagiarism!'" Prinze recalled, "I was watching a Richard Pryor set on the sweet WWE jet one time just to kind of unwind and relax. And we're flying back to White Plains [New York] and he literally is like, 'why don't you have on WrestleMania?' I'm like, 'Vince, I just want to laugh' [and McMahon replied] 'well, we have Santino'. I'm like, 'great, I love Santino [but] that's not Richard Pryor!"

The key to any comedy wrestler teking the step to go beyond that level usually requires a major catalyst/foe. Thin kabout Foley during his "Have A Nice Day" Mankind period. H was goody as hell but finally was provoked far enough to laythe comedy aside and let Cactus Jack comeback. Mind you not everyone has Foley's comic timing. Rock was really good at improving when things went wonky 9like the dead mic interview where he tossed the mic aside, grabbed Coach's and mic tested it by slapping it a few times and then continuing the promo from where he left off).

I might be the only guy I know who prefers early ce=omedy Kurt Angle to super serious wrestler Kurt Angle. He was so brilliant at playing a dimwit.

James