DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

27 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I don't see Big E in the mix for a WHC run... but he's absolutely a US level guy.

You disgust me

• Like 14

BTW - the WWE is denying that the Rumble will be in LA

It appears they just didn't want the info out yet but the reports are coming from fans who attended house shows and said the announcement was made in the arenas and they were giving info on how to buy tickets

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Someone may be able to pull an example out of their hat but I don't think Vince has ever had a wrestler with a comedic gimmick have a big title run,

Kurt Angle?

But yeah, Big E's not a world-title guy.

I am struggling with this logic that Dean Ambrose - who is playing a crazy hobo currently - is "fit" to be a world title guy but Big E isn't

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am struggling with this logic that Dean Ambrose - who is playing a crazy hobo currently - is "fit" to be a world title guy but Big E isn't

You'll have to take that up with WWE ;) But we both know that I am right, deep down in your heart. I think Big E is great, his current gimmick just isn't World Title material in WWE. He can still be fun and show personality, it just has to be toned down a bit, that's all.

I could totally see them resetting Big E as a serious business world beater if they wanted to push him to the top...except when they got him there he'd be doing the same Cena "humor" that they try to push on all of their top faces. So, it would be a mistake. That they might actually make. Because they're knobs. 

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh, one could debate if Hobo Boy is actually fit.  It comes down to whether you like his special pruno recipe. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am pretty sure that the 'E has assigned an employee to follow Ambrose around and buy the WWE title belt back from every pawn shop that Dean visits.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I'd argue that Dean Ambrose is the weakest babyface to hold the WWE title.  On the bright side, he won't hold it past SummerSlam and he'll be a forgotten former champion like Dolph Ziggler is

2 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I'd argue that Dean Ambrose is the weakest babyface to hold the WWE title.  On the bright side, he won't hold it past SummerSlam and he'll be a forgotten former champion like Dolph Ziggler is

I think he is too popular to be Zigglered, even if some online don't like him he is one of the most over full-time babyfaces in the company at this second. Although I do agree he won't hold it past Summerslam, I don't think he is leaving the upper mid-card anytime soon and will get other title shots.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

He, nor any of the Shield guys, will get Zigglered.  That's the great thing about being part of the hottest faction to come around in years. Ambrose is the conduit needed to balance Rollins and Reigns.  They all play that role for each other, and I think WWE recognizes that and, if they actually bother to book them well as individuals, could make a lot of coin by keeping all of them near the top of the card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Quit chanting for Phil the Waffle House Cook and you might have a chance. :) 

I didn't make it to the last Payback or Raw that was in Chicago. Hell, I don't even remember the matches at Payback and it wasn't even that long ago. I'm not even sure if they're still chanting for Punk.

I will admit to chanting for Punk at the last Payback I went to, which was the Shield vs Evolution PPV. Although, the crowd was especially amped up that night. Game 7 between the Hawks and Kings was going on as well. Whenever the Hawks scored we'd break out humming Chelsea Dagger.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Big E would never get a push in WWE for a big singles championship with his current gimmick, it just isn't how WWE has ever run and I don't see it suddenly changing. They don't mind the goofiness in the midcard and clearly they like the New Day based on their title reign/TV time but if Big E wants to make a run at anything above the US title, he'd have to at least tone down the gimmick some and probably split away altogether. Someone may be able to pull an example out of their hat but I don't think Vince has ever had a wrestler with a comedic gimmick have a big title run, even in the goofy mid-90s days the goofier wrestlers tended to be midcard entertainment. Gordy may be one example of when the team stayed together but there are probably 50 examples of a tag team or group having to split up before the shining star of the group really got a chance to reach near the top of a promotion.

I like the New Day but I just don't see it as a long-term team in their current form, their shtick is funny and sells merchandise but I think they have topped out. If they are all happy (wrestlers and promotion) with them being a top tag team that sells lots of horns then everyone wins, but if any of them have aspirations of more it has to end or change before that will likely happen.

What I never understood about the New Day is why they are presented as a tag team instead of a faction. To get an act that over and never have them further up the card than the tag team division is a sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

What I never understood about the New Day is why they are presented as a tag team instead of a faction. To get an act that over and never have them further up the card than the tag team division is a sad.

I've always associated them as a faction. There's no reason why they couldn't even indoctrinate a Jimmy Garvin type as a close ally.