DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Speaking of PTP, does anyone know what the payoff for this Darren Young/Bob Backlund angle is supposed to be? 

I kinda think it ends with Backlund coaching Young to be straight - but that would be insanely tone deaf and offensive even by WWE standards.  I think that would have been the payoff during the Attitude Era, though.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it ends up with Darren Young coming back, winning his first two matches thanks to Coach Backlund, then it's 50/50 booking and trading wins with Bo Dallas before getting taken off of TV for another 6 months. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I kinda think it ends with Backlund coaching Young to be straight - but that would be insanely tone deaf and offensive even by WWE standards.  I think that would have been the payoff during the Attitude Era, though.

I had a very similar theory actually. Maybe I'm cynical (and I'd like to think we're beyond this in 2016, but hey, it IS WWE) but I honestly wonder if they thought it might generate some kind of media buzz if they associated Trump's campaign slogan with a guy who happens to be both black and gay. 

21 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I'm gonna go with the safe pick of "one week the videos just stop playing and the whole thing is forgotten."

Followed up in December by a WhatCulture "TOP 10 THINGS THE WWE WANTS YOU TO FORGET!!!!" Youtube video.

• Like 3

So anyway, I'm on gardening leave from work before starting a new job and I decided to kill time by trying the network for free. What are the MUST SEE NXT events I should check out in between watching the Edge and Christian show and early 90s WCW? 

8 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Oh what was that NXT woman's match everyone was raving about last year too?

There are more than one but what you are probably talking about are the Bayley/Sasha Banks matches

1 - NXT Brooklyn

2 - NXT Respect

I cam back for a minute to say that WCPW, WhatCulture, as the troglodyte's that frequent r/squaredcircle and actually accept this schlock are a fucking embarrassment and a joke. I certainly do hope that if you found that waste of time and talent enjoyable that you do something more productive. Like perhaps catching AIDS, or whatever it takes for you to jump off this mortal coil. Back with your dumb memes, your stupid chants and your jokes that haven't been funny since 2010 (Rellik is killer spelled backwards) People like you make people like me vote Trump and hope for the bombs to drop. There's no hope for humanity. I no longer fear hell. For I have seen WCPW.

Em nab is Ban me spelled backwards.

Re: Young and Backlund, more than anything I'm curious as to why they do vignettes but never actually seem to be in the same room with each other. It's just awkward and weird. Makes me wonder if Backlund is ever actually going to appear at ringside with him. If it doesn't just get dropped altogether. 

He should Skype-manage him via iPad. It's a dumb idea, yeah, but so is this storyline. Might as well go all out. 

You just have to hope Sunny doesn't come back to Skype-manage. That'll replace the whale in your nightmares. 

7 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Hopefully it's bringing back the crossface chicken wing.

Having the chicken wing replace that "fireman's carry gutbuster with an extraneous back bump" bullshit as Young's finisher would make the angle worth it...

1 hour ago, CrazyMax46 said:

I cam back for a minute to say that WCPW, WhatCulture, as the troglodyte's that frequent r/squaredcircle and actually accept this schlock are a fucking embarrassment and a joke. I certainly do hope that if you found that waste of time and talent enjoyable that you do something more productive. Like perhaps catching AIDS, or whatever it takes for you to jump off this mortal coil. Back with your dumb memes, your stupid chants and your jokes that haven't been funny since 2010 (Rellik is killer spelled backwards) People like you make people like me vote Trump and hope for the bombs to drop. There's no hope for humanity. I no longer fear hell. For I have seen WCPW.

Em nab is Ban me spelled backwards.

Ummmm...can someone please explain what the hell he's talking about? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CrazyMax46 said:

Back with your dumb memes, your stupid chants and your jokes that haven't been funny since 2010 (Rellik is killer spelled backwards)

You hate dumb memes, clap clap, clap clap clap!

You hate dumb memes, clap clap, clap clap clap!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Smart thing, have Young go on a winning streak with Backlund in his corner then beat Miz for the IC title at SummerSlam and go a singles run before reforming the PTP

That crossed my mind too, with Titus winning the US from Rusev around the same time if they went that route.