DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

12 hours ago, nate said:

I was just remembering that period of time where Dusty was using the Weaverlock, and part of the kayfabe behind the hold was how, after he used it to put a guy out, he then had to slap the opponent on the back to "wake them up" or else they'd face irreparable damage.  And that time he caught Tully, maybe Arn, in it and he was refusing to do the wake-up slap.  Refs, officials, announcers all going fucking crazy (as opposed to just doing the slap themselves).  My dad and I refer to it as "that time that Dusty Rhodes almost killed a Horseman".

My friend and I loved that angle. "Yeth, the Weevah Lock izzz a choke hold!!"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So Ziggler/Corbin is the preshow match for MITB

I guess they needed a new Kickoff feud since they couldn't run Kalisto/Ryback anymore

I'd feel like an asshole just replying hahahaha what but hahahaha what

The only acceptable "payoff" to this feud at this point would be the Lone Wolf End of Days-ing Ziggler into a wood chipper (and I don't even hate Ziggler!)

Corbin is dece but I have this weird feeling like he's in the Husky Harris stage of his career, and he'll eventually excel with a different character. That's the tough thing about NXT being a "third brand," it's not like you can send him down there to try out different gimmicks or throw him under a hood or whatever.

• Like 1

Man, has anyone watched TNA lately?!

My parents have a free preview of The Fight Network so I was using it as an opportunity to watch Impact! today and presentation-wise/lighting-wise/commentary-wise/wrestling-wise/theme-wise it's like watching your local indie try to fill up a 2 hour wrestling show.  

It's also aggressively irritating.  The first match of the night features a woman (Allie, per wikipedia) who screams incessantly (Think Daffney in WCW) but also tries to talk while she screams in a really annoying way.  So you think you'd give the crowd a break from annoyance, but then the second match of the night features Al Snow as a coach blowing a whistle NON-STOP for the entire length of the match.

They also somehow now have less "known" wrestlers than ROH. There are so many guys here that I have just never heard of.  Then the guys/gals who are known have such awful/looks entrances that it feels like you're watching a local indie.  I mean, how did Mike Bennett look like MORE of a star in ROH than he does in TNA?!

The Matt Hardy stuff is incredible, though.  His stupid voice, his weird stilted promos, his goofy hair.  It's just amazing. though, to be fair, I haven't seen him wrestle yet.

Lastly, on what planet is Ethan Carter 230 lbs?  Unless he's like 5'2?! 

5 minutes ago, caley said:

It's also aggressively irritating.  The first match of the night features a woman (Allie, per wikipedia) who screams incessantly (Think Daffney in WCW) but also tries to talk while she screams in a really annoying way.  So you think you'd give the crowd a break from annoyance, but then the second match of the night features Al Snow as a coach blowing a whistle NON-STOP for the entire length of the match.

Oh god, Allie is now wrestling in the third match.  So we have the first match with her screaming, then the 2nd match with the whistle, now the third match is her screeching again.  It's like they're TRYING to get people to turn the channel!

On 09/06/2016 at 2:20 PM, RIPPA said:

Stealing this from Sweetser's Facebook page but a good article for those who are interested in the technical side of WWE's production

http://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/06/07/wwe-embraces-ip-expands-footprint-with-new-trio-of-nep-trucks/

Interesting to note that they have gone completely tapeless now.

Poor Sean Mooney. Vintage tape!

The best part of the Corbin/Ziggler feud is that Ziggler is being booked like he's a guy in his late 50's. On commentary on Smackdown he was all "those darn Millennials" in reference to Corbin.

Ziggler is 35 like me. We just barely missed the cut off point for that. Anyway, Dolph as a crusty old vet is quite hilarious. If he's dumb enough to stick around another ten years maybe he can go full Shawn Michaels and get some bad hair plugs that weren't meant for sports and start coming out with sweat.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, caley said:

They also somehow now have less "known" wrestlers than ROH. There are so many guys here that I have just never heard of.  Then the guys/gals who are known have such awful/looks entrances that it feels like you're watching a local indie.  I mean, how did Mike Bennett look like MORE of a star in ROH than he does in TNA?!

It's a miracle!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Bennett was leeching all of ADAM COLE BAYBAY's star power.

At least he can still leech his wife's.

Bennett & Taven worked really well together as a team. I miss The Kingdom. They were one of the few things the current ROH regime got right. 

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

At least he can still leech his wife's.

Bennett & Taven worked really well together as a team. I miss The Kingdom. They were one of the few things the current ROH regime got right. 

I liked Bennett & Taven too. Not as much as I liked Taven with the Hoopla Hotties, but I digress...

• Like 3