DVDVR Message Board

All Purpose Travel Thread

Rev Ray

The Dolfan Express hits San Diego in October.   Any suggestions for a good meal?     I'm assuming Uber is prevalent enough.  Also, how difficult is it to get to and from Tijuana?

It's also now safe to go see lucha in TJ.

If you go back and listen to our pod with DR Lucha, we talk about going to the Auditorio and how easy it is.

• Like 1

The Lucha Libre Taco Shop is a tourist trap. The real shit is at Ranchos Cocina, on 30th and University. It's got full vegan options if someone in your set rolls that way, and the best service I've ever had. I tend to tip 100% there. There's a barcade right next to it that I cant really vouch for- I did see them install a series of Mario Kart cabinets so maybe it's cool- but a block west on University is a cafe and record store (Claire De Lune and Off The Record) I totally can. Another block that way'll put you in front of the Observatory, which is a bigger mainstream concert venue. Owl City plays there when he comes here, for an example. There used to be an awesome clothing store right next to Ranchos but it's closed and that's the worst.

As far as downtown advice goes, I've had nothing but shitty times in the Gaslamp ever since UFC got big. Lots of pushy, "fight me" dudes in affliction shirts. I wouldn't, but your crew can make that call better than I can if they frequent there.

And yeah we're ubered to fucking death once you get south of Mission Valley. And really, don't go north of mission valley. Diminishing returns. I live north of Mission Valley.

Also further east than San Diego State and you could be in for some raw shit. One time I was at the trolley station waiting for an eastbound trolley and a dude walked up to me with all sorts of nazi tattoos and "WHITE POWER" on his throat. He asked me if this is the train to Santee (or Klantee, colloquially) and I said yeah, to which he said "Good, cuz that's where I need to be, man." My best friend out east responded to Ferguson by applying for the Sheriff's department in his township. That kind of shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing the drive from New Jersey to Disney World in one shot, both ways, with a toddler, is something I plan on never doing again.  I actually plan on never doing it in one shot ever again.

• 3 months later...

So I'm going to be tagging along with the lady to Atlanta for a work conference in February, which means 4 days with nothing to do but explore around the city.

Last year when she was there, she basically just ate at the hotel and went to the botanical gardens one day and we'd like to do much more this time.  I know a bunch of y'all of familiar with the area, what's the stuff I absolutely need to do?  

So I'm going to be tagging along with the lady to Atlanta for a work conference in February, which means 4 days with nothing to do but explore around the city.

Last year when she was there, she basically just ate at the hotel and went to the botanical gardens one day and we'd like to do much more this time.  I know a bunch of y'all of familiar with the area, what's the stuff I absolutely need to do?  

The College Football Hall of Fame is very cool, very interactive.  I would schedule at least two hours there.  I was in Atlanta for a conference and we went there between sessions, and felt rushed spending 90 minutes checking out the exhibits.  

Abdullah the Butcher's House of Ribs & Chinese Food. There's nothing quite like fried chicken gizzards and a side of pork chow yuk.

The College Football Hall of Fame is very cool, very interactive.  I would schedule at least two hours there.  I was in Atlanta for a conference and we went there between sessions, and felt rushed spending 90 minutes checking out the exhibits.  

This is definitely high on my list.  There's one day that I have completely on my own that I'm thinking of basically turning into a sports day.  Checking out the HOF and then either doing a Georgia Dome or Turner field tour.  Maybe Abby's, too because I doubt anyone else would be brave enough to try it with me.

• 3 years later...

Might be in Boston for a day or two in October. Any recommendations for things to see/places to eat? I was there once before and walked the freedom trail and saw the aquarium, I think.