DVDVR Message Board

All Purpose Travel Thread

Rev Ray

Malvern, PA. I will hopefully shortly be in you for a week.

Show me your sights.

Ah! Did you go to Malvern yet? I work near there.

It's a suburb of Philly. If you can, go to the city. You can take the regional rail right into downtown Philly. You can also drive if you wish. Without traffic, you can make it to Center City, Philly in 30-35 minutes.

If you don't feel like going all the way into the city, you can drive down Lancaster Ave. into "The Main Line" which are the haughty taughty suburbs. All sorts of nice restaurants and shops and the like. You're right by there.

There's also a "downtown Malvern" that supposedly has some nice shops and places to eat. I haven't been, though.

I've not been there in years, but there used to be a great number of bookshops on Rt 30 when you get off the blye route but before you get to Nova.

I think Mike Clark still has a Showcase Comics branch there and there used to be a great mystery book store a few blocks away.

I'll be on holiday tomorrow and I'd like to make it over to London while I'm there. Where should I be going to get some proper fish and chips or kebabs?

Covent garden - the nags head. Decent pub that did (about a year ago) some killer fish and chips.

You'll find some good but really pricey pubs down that way.

For kebab shops - there are no decent kebab shops...what one person will say is killer, another will say is awful. They're all fronts for drug dealers anyways...

• Like 1

One of these days , I am going to make it out to Chicago, IL to take the Burger Tour.  I want to hit up Kuma's Corner, Kuma's Corner Too, and the Squared Circle.  Any other recommendations

Show me your sights.

It's a suburb of Philly. If you can, go to the city. You can take the regional rail right into downtown Philly. You can also drive if you wish. Without traffic, you can make it to Center City, Philly in 30-35 minutes.

If you don't feel like going all the way into the city, you can drive down Lancaster Ave. into "The Main Line" which are the haughty taughty suburbs. All sorts of nice restaurants and shops and the like. You're right by there.

There's also a "downtown Malvern" that supposedly has some nice shops and places to eat. I haven't been, though.

I've not been there in years, but there used to be a great number of bookshops on Rt 30 when you get off the blye route but before you get to Nova.

I think Mike Clark still has a Showcase Comics branch there and there used to be a great mystery book store a few blocks away.

There's a Showcase on Lancaster Ave. (Rte. 30) in Bryn Mawr, I believe. I drive home that way sometimes. There's also a decent bookstore in downtown Wayne and a new used bookstore on Lancaster a little past Nova. I stopped there a few weeks ago and it was pretty good.

Bryn Mawr Film Institute rules.

Show me your sights.

There's a Showcase on Lancaster Ave. (Rte. 30) in Bryn Mawr, I believe. I drive home that way sometimes. There's also a decent bookstore in downtown Wayne and a new used bookstore on Lancaster a little past Nova. I stopped there a few weeks ago and it was pretty good.

Bryn Mawr Film Institute rules.

I wasnt sure if it was still there. There used to be 3 showcase stores: i think the south street one closed many years ago. I still go to the one in Granite Run Mall, since its an easy trip from Concord Pike.

• 1 month later...

Trip was fun - managed to spend some time in Philly central which was awesome. Up the steps and got to see the liberty bell as well as independence square. thats really pretty.

It was just so hot and humid that i couldnt do the full tour without my travel companion complaining - constantly.

Traffic on the 76 sucks ass though. both coming into and going out of Philly. Get decently maintained roads, 'murica.

But, on the whole, not bad at all. same time next year?

Trip was fun - managed to spend some time in Philly central which was awesome. Up the steps and got to see the liberty bell as well as independence square. thats really pretty.

It was just so hot and humid that i couldnt do the full tour without my travel companion complaining - constantly.

Traffic on the 76 sucks ass though. both coming into and going out of Philly. Get decently maintained roads, 'murica.

It's a shame you missed out on the really nice weather we had in between. And take it from me when I swear to you the weather you witnessed was far from the worst it can get. It's an annual event when we have a few string of days with the temperatures around 100 degrees or so. And then with those heat waves come absolutely insane thunderstorms that can really do a lot of damage.

I had a former co-worker move to New York state from Calgary. He told me the weather here was absolutely insane and he had no idea. It's really true. We have it all. Heat waves that cause evacuations followed by crazy thunderstorms? Hurricanes that merge with blizzards and cause hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage? Constant snowfall and ice storms and temperatures that don't even come close to the freezing mark?

The craziest, though, are the rare thunderstorms IN THE WINTER. I was working from home a few months ago when we had some rain come in. And then I saw this felt this weird pulsation followed by this insanely close flash of lightning. This was then followed by 45 seconds straight of the loudest thunder I've ever heard in my life. The entire city/region shook but the epicenter was my neighborhood, apparently. I live two blocks away from a street where windows were blown out of people's homes because of thunder. Let that sink in. One person in our neighborhood said her stove became dislodged because of the insane thunder.

Yep. We got them all. There's really only probably two-three months of the year where it's actually really nice in the northeastern US.

Next time you come in I'll give you a proper itinerary.

And yes, 76 is the worst. It's called the Schuykill Expressway but has been redubbed The Surekill. It's horrible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So it looks like we're going to Universal Orlando in the first week of December after most of the spinach-chins have gone back to school. She's under the impression that we'll need a good three days to do all of the Harry Potter stuff while I'm thinking we shouldn't need more than a day tops, leaving two days to explore everything else there. Anyone down there care to give some recommendations for timing, must-sees and the like?

It's a shame you missed out on the really nice weather we had in between. And take it from me when I swear to you the weather you witnessed was far from the worst it can get. It's an annual event when we have a few string of days with the temperatures around 100 degrees or so. And then with those heat waves come absolutely insane thunderstorms that can really do a lot of damage.

I had a former co-worker move to New York state from Calgary. He told me the weather here was absolutely insane and he had no idea. It's really true. We have it all. Heat waves that cause evacuations followed by crazy thunderstorms? Hurricanes that merge with blizzards and cause hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage? Constant snowfall and ice storms and temperatures that don't even come close to the freezing mark?

The craziest, though, are the rare thunderstorms IN THE WINTER. I was working from home a few months ago when we had some rain come in. And then I saw this felt this weird pulsation followed by this insanely close flash of lightning. This was then followed by 45 seconds straight of the loudest thunder I've ever heard in my life. The entire city/region shook but the epicenter was my neighborhood, apparently. I live two blocks away from a street where windows were blown out of people's homes because of thunder. Let that sink in. One person in our neighborhood said her stove became dislodged because of the insane thunder.

Yep. We got them all. There's really only probably two-three months of the year where it's actually really nice in the northeastern US.

Next time you come in I'll give you a proper itinerary.

And yes, 76 is the worst. It's called the Schuykill Expressway but has been redubbed The Surekill. It's horrible.

As someone who's lived in NY their whole life, I HATE the climate. I love Manhattan, I really do. When it's September, the first half of October and most of May, it's awesome (unless you're just not a city person in which case you'll never like it). I love living in close proximity to NYC. But man is the weather awful for most of the year. It's really cold in the winter (maybe not Green Bay cold, but we will have plenty of days of single digit weather) and really hot in the summer (maybe not Texas hot, but again we usually have plenty of days of upper 90's and in Manhattan with the building structure, it feels like a thousand degrees... with humidity). I've always said I wouldn't mind the winter if the summer was sunshine and 75 everyday, or I wouldn't mind the summer if the winter was sunshine and 65 everyday. Instead, we get all four seasons with our springs and falls never providing us with nearly enough enjoyable weather.

Fortunately, this weekend isn't too bad.

HA! No joke, I hadn't even considered TNA. We'd be staying on-site so it could be a consideration. :lol:

Actually, who knows if October tapings of TNA will still be airing. Isn't nxt in orlando?

I would drive out of my way to avoid the Schuykill if i could. I wish i could say the same with the Blue Route, as long as its not 5:00 on a weekday, its horrible but not insane.

Really, any part of the Megaopolis is horrible driving: anywhere downtown Boston, Manhattan, Philly and the DC Beltway. baltimore is prob the best of the bunch, probably because of the smaller population.

Even the country isnt exempt. I probably see 5-10 traffic accidents reported on 95 in either Harford or Cecil County in rural Md.

• 7 months later...

My wife and I are traveling to LA the last weekend in March to have her acoustic neuroma (brain tumor) removed by a top doctor in that field at USC. We are arriving on the Saturday before Wrestlemania with her surgery the following Tuesday and will be there for two weeks. We are staying around USC the first week while she is in the hospital, then moving to a beach house in Marina Del Rey (close to Santa Monica) for week two. We do plan on doing some touristy things like the Santa Monica pier, Hollywood sign and In and Out Burger. Some recommendations I am looking for are:

1) Best place to watch Wrestlemania so I am not stuck watching the PPV on my iPad in a hotel room.

2) We love all types of food and are looking to try the best the city has to offer especially if we do not have to pay a premium price for it.

3) Looking for a good wrestling show to attend live.

4) A good rock/metal club to check out. Too bad Steel Panther is in Europe during our trip.

5) Any other touristy things to check out before her surgery on Tuesday.

Anything else you guys might come up with is very much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I just took a great road trip. My parents live in upstate NY. I never took the side/back roads to get up there, usually because of a tight-ish schedule and a dog. But this time I was free from both and made the most of it.

On the way up, I drove on the east side of the Hudson River, starting at the Bear Mountain Bridge. I had a fantastic lunch at the Culinary Institute of America. I sadly was late to the FDR Museum and Vanderbilt mansion. I did walk around the towns of Beacon and Rhinebeck, which has one of the best bookstores I've ever been to. However, all these towns were trumped by the really awesome Hudson, NY. This is a fantastic little city and very quirky. They have a place that is 1/2 bookstore and 1/2 bar and great and fantastic. Everyone was super friendly and awesome.

I also hung out a bunch in Saratoga Springs. Saratoga's a really wealthy town/city but has a lot of fun things to do/places to eat/etc. Saratoga Springs is known for its spring water. I met up with some friends and went on a drinking water tour. This was really fun. I also hit up a spring water mineral bath at the spa they have in the nearby state park, as lame as that sounds. I heard the phrase, "Your bath attendants will be with you shortly." Anyways, this was just like taking a hot tub but with some sort of mineral-laced water. I didn't like it nearly as much as I did the sensory deprivation tank but it was relaxing.

On the way back, I drove down the west side of the Hudson. I didn't stop at as many places because I wanted to get home. But I did end up at the Walkway Across The Hudson, which is a former rail bridge turned into a pedestrian walkway across the Hudson River. This was a really great and beautiful experience.

Great trip until I messed up my arm avoiding a Delaware minivan driver.

• 3 months later...

I am in Portland, Maine right now. This is one of the best cities in the country. I came up here 12 years ago or so and liked it a lot then. It was a pretty sleepy seaside town with some unique charm. It is now one of the best restaurant cities anywhere. It's ridiculous how much good food there is in this city. It's also super independently owned -- I've seen one Starbucks and I think that's it for chain crap.

The Dolfan Express hits San Diego in October.   Any suggestions for a good meal?     I'm assuming Uber is prevalent enough.  Also, how difficult is it to get to and from Tijuana? 

The Dolfan Express hits San Diego in October.   Any suggestions for a good meal?     I'm assuming Uber is prevalent enough.  Also, how difficult is it to get to and from Tijuana? 

Lucha Libre Taco Shop! Also, Richard Walker's Pancake House (downtown) makes a fabulous breakfast.

Tijuana (I believe) is right off the light rail stop there.