DVDVR Message Board

The 2016 NBA Finals: Cleveland vs Golden State

Dolfan in NYC

I was amused that Kerr's assessment of Curry's foul situation basically was "He's the MVP and you call six fouls on him."  Yeah, calling fouls on the Curry, Kobe, LeBron's of the world is a novel thing, but that doesn't automatically make it wrong.

Kerr complaining about flopping when that's pretty much all Curry does if he can't jump a passing lane was pretty damn funny. Oh, and when he tried to pull the Reggie Miller Special™ and didn't get the call had me in tears.

I have no real issue with Ayesha Curry, but man, when you tweet something so bad that even that gasbag Brian Windhorst can body you, it's time to put the account on ice for a minute.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

LeBron's woman also needs to get that internet model in check that LeBron is messaging through Instagram.

Instagram chicks--don't trust them!  Though Savannah Brinson James knows how to stay quiet and likely give her man grief in private.  Ayesha Curry will learn, I'm sure.

EDIT:  Apparently, Stephen A. Smith mentioned Ayesha on First Take, and she actually tweeted him during the show!  SAS responded, not sure what was said on either side.

I've been of the mind that Curry's average play was purely down to injuries but there are too many mental mistakes for that to explain away all of the bad plays. Cleveland's caught him being too casual way too frequently. Of his 6 fouls, the clean strip on Kyrie was the only one that was questionable but he was all over him prior to the steal. Really bad decision making on his part. Still the only other time I can remember him missing so many open shots was back when he was hurt and missed games in the regular season. 

Hopefully GSW's doc is shooting up Iguodala's back with all of the drugs. I don't like Barnes on LeBron. And you can see how effective an interior defender Bogut is by looking at how easy it is for James to get to the rim last night and game 5.

Impressive play from Cleveland either way. I didn't think they had it in them. Thompson has been huge. What's Love's contract situation? Sunday has to be his last game as a Cav, right? He needs a set up that will allow him more touches in the paint and allow him to rebound rather than focusing on being a stretch 4. The fact that Richard Jefferson has been more effective is hilarious. 

Win or lose game 7 Lebron has reclaimed his throne.

This Ayesha Curry stuff is greatness. Stephen A hitting her with the "it's not me, its you" after reading her tweet was gold.

Dude is a fool sometimes, but he ain't wrong.  Ayesha doesn't seem to understand that EVERYONE is going to be talking about her today because it's their job to do so. She just made it SOOO much easier to fill that 24 hour coverage.  I don't think she fully grasps why they are talking about her, which makes it even better.

You can't say the damn NBA is rigged when you are married to the poster boy.  You can't say that game was rigged when Lebron so thoroughly outplayed the Warriors.

Might have been a few bad calls in there, but when you are legit reaching/gambling for a steal every play it sort of forces the refs hand.  I've never seen someone reach that much with 5 fouls.  He pretty much dared them to foul him out in the 4th.

• Like 2

It's hard to say a game was rigged when you were never within 8. 

I don't think Lue is a great coach by any means, but it's been nice to see the bench and energy guys respond to him. Last year, the Cavs couldn't trust anyone off the bench and you could tell it wore them down mentally and physically. This year, Dahntay Jones came in and scored 5 to answer a Warriors run late in a game. 

I watched the game out last night. I didn't even realize LeBron went for 41. That's part of me being an idiot but a part of it is that it came so easily and in the flow of the game. It was just arguably the most gifted player who ever lived doing everything imaginable.

Steph hasn't been as efficient as his typical this series but the dude has made six bombs a game the past three and is averaging 31 a game. A few of those calls were "eh" last night but they were nothing egregious. They just didn't go his way. Every star in the league would have the same reaction to those calls.

Cleveland's defense on Steph has also been unreal. They are doing absolutely everything they can to never let him have a one-on-one chance. And they're also jumping back on defense really fast as soon as he gives up the ball. And, as Kerr pointed out, they're playing rough when Steph and Klay try and get through the lane on cuts. Playoff basketball.

Also, Kyrie is from my hometown. There was a big post about him on my old town's Facebook page.

By all accounts, he is a GREAT guy. This story was relayed to me.

Kyrie was obviously the best kid in the youth leagues growing up, but the distance when he was real young to the rest of the kids wasn't that glaring. He went to this one private school to start high school purely for the academics and a bunch of his close friends from the rec league were headed there. This school stinks at basketball (very much a preppy lacrosse kid school) and they play a bunch of like-minded prep schools and small suburban North Jersey high schools. He obviously lit up on this level to an unreal degree. He then transferred to St. Patrick's, who were competing with St. Anthony's to be the best team in the state (and maybe the country). But Kyrie was still really close friends with a lot of the players on his original high school/grade school. He went to a lot of their games when he had free time and even their senior night, despite being such a huge recruit.*

He's still really close with those guys, too. His dad was also the youth rec league coach and is apparently just the absolute best case scenario for a youth basketball coach.

Also, one of my best friends teaches at a middle school in town. Kyrie went to the school one day and did an informal meet-and-greet in the gym. Nothing too planned or anything. My friend knows nothing about basketball and had no idea why the kids were freaking out.

Kyrie also spends a lot of his off-season back in North Jersey and works out at the local Jewish Community Center. He's super approachable and has no airs about talking with people.

* I may have posted this before. I was told this following tale is about 90% true.

Like I said before, Kyrie tore up this rinky dink high school league before transferring to St. Patrick's, which was filled with Top 100 recruits. Michael Kidd-Gilchrest also went there, but I forget if he and Kyrie overlapped. The myth is that Kyrie's dad knew how good is son was and transferred him there sight unseen. He met with the coach who said he could make no promises and Kyrie would have to try out as a walk-on like every other scrub who thought they had a shot. Kyrie went to the tryout and after about three minutes, the coach pulled him aside and had him sit and told him he wasn't just on the team, but was clearly the best player he was ever going to coach.

The only thing a little off with that is that Kyrie tore up in AAU before he transferred, so the coach knew who he was but was still a little dubious about his talent. But still, what a great friggin' player who sorta came out of nowhere.

• Like 1

Feet planted, but he was leaning and to the side. No call was probably the way to go.

The all ball steal you could make a case for, but his other armed was wrapped around Kyrie a second earlier:

I felt like the whistle was consistent for the most part, but Curry did get hit with some fouls that are probably no calls on most nights. I feel like the refs thought with Draymond coming back, they wanted to nip things in the bud early by showing they weren't going to let anything get out of hand. 

For what it's worth, I thought the blocking foul was pretty clearly a block. Lebron beat him to the spot and didn't extend his arm at all. I thought the steal on Kyrie was clean, and the one he fouled out on wouldn't have been called if it had happened earlier in the game, but was an idiotic play by Curry. 

LeBron should get Finals MVP regardless which team wins. Not sure which Warrior would deserve it. I guess Klay.

Curry has been at best the fifth best player in this series (behind LeBron, Kyrie, Klay and Dray).

Draymond got suspended for a game, so he can't.

Lost in all the hoopla is that JR Smith's daughter may be the smartest kid in the world.  When asked what it was liked to watch her dad play in the Finals:

I'm glad he made it to the championship and he didn't get thrown off the team.

That girl is wise beyond her years.

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

The worst call all night.

I thought it was a good call. Love stepped to the side as if to get out of the way but very subtly put his forearm out and created contact.