DVDVR Message Board

The 2016 NBA Finals: Cleveland vs Golden State

Dolfan in NYC

Probably the worst officiated game I've ever seen (obviously excluding games where gambling referees were involved). Not even necessarily to the disadvantage of one team, but just impossible to get any rhythm or drive and kick with any confidence when you have no idea what's going to happen. 

• Like 2

On 2016/6/10 at 6:50 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Maybe all these games turning into 3-point contests has something to do with it.  

From Nylon Calculus:

Average margin of victory has not really gone up or down in the postseason in the last twenty years. One could speculate whether a higher three-point rate would increase the number of blowouts. If that were the case, margin of victory should have risen up in the last 20 years as three point rates skyrocketed. It has not.

Hitting more threes than the opponent is certainly a recipe for winning games, but it is not necessarily a strong predictor of whether a win is going to be a blowout. Below are all games (by home teams, so as not to count each game twice) in this year’s playoffs:
3PMdiff

The plot shows that in many of the blowouts this year, the winning team has had fewer than 5 threes made than the loser. It certainly helps to hit a lot of threes, but a blowout can be created in a lot of ways. The plot also shows how remarkable Game 6 of the Western Conference Final was. That is the game all the way to the left, where OKC lost by 7, despite hitting 18(!) fewer threes than Golden State.

They go on to say that the majority of the blowouts are being done by the home team to the visitors. So basically, home court advantage in a big way has played a part in this year's playoffs.

Also, the previous worst year for competitiveness was 1959, which kinda hurts a three pointer based argument. I think 2008 was the only other year from this century to make the chart even.

Obviously the key to a Cleveland victory is me watching the game all the way though.  Whenever I go to bed at halftime when Cleveland is leading, the Dubs come back and win the game.

Hey Cleveland: Your title drought is over as the Lake Erie Lock Monsters just swept the Hershey Bears in front of a sold out Q to win the AHL Calder Cup!!! No more pressure on LeBron to bring his home a title.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

Hey Cleveland: Your title drought is over as the Lake Erie Lock Monsters just swept the Hershey Bears in front of a sold out Q to win the AHL Calder Cup!!! No more pressure on LeBron to bring his home a title.

Incorrect. That goes to the Valley View Fire Department's own Stipe Miocic!

stipe.png

Knocked a man out in front of 45,000 of his countrymen and still didn't take a day off work. Even cranked out a giant home run at the Cleveland Indians batting practice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Incorrect. That goes to the Valley View Fire Department's own Stipe Miocic!

stipe.png

Knocked a man out in front of 45,000 of his countrymen and still didn't take a day off work. Even cranked out a giant home run at the Cleveland Indians batting practice. 

Was talking team sports but fair point.

17 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

Can someone explain to me why if the logic for switching from 2-3-2 to 2-2-1-1-1 was that travel is so much easier now a days to the old days. Then why do they need two days off between travel days?

2-3-2 hurt the team with the better record.  

If the teams split the first two games the team with the worse record had a significant advantage.  Sweep and you win the championship.  Win 2 and you force the team with the better record to win the final two games at home.  

If the home court team wins the first two and lose the next three they are forced to win the last two.  

The team with the better regular season record should have an advantage in this situation, not the other way around.

7 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Surprise, Draymond suspended for game 5!  Kicks to the balls are ok, but shoulderblocks to the balls are over the line.

17 minutes ago, muhammedboehm said:

Can someone explain to me why if the logic for switching from 2-3-2 to 2-2-1-1-1 was that travel is so much easier now a days to the old days. Then why do they need two days off between travel days?

7 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Surprise, Draymond suspended for game 5!  Kicks to the balls are ok, but shoulderblocks to the balls are over the line.

Well you know LeBron was not going to get touched for what he did.

44 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

fctMXHo.gif

If someone put that on PPV it would get a million buys (of course it would have to be held in a place with no athletic commission). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

When Draymond committed what has since been called a Flagrant 1, the Cavs were down 74-71, and would have had 2 shots, and the ball. 

Incorrect. It was 96-86, with 2:50 to play. 

LeBron should have gotten more than just a tech for his slew foot on Green that started the whole thing. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tabe said:

Incorrect. It was 96-86, with 2:50 to play. 

LeBron should have gotten more than just a tech for his slew foot on Green that started the whole thing. 

But, but he's being picked on by the refs and not getting any calls, according to Ty Lue. . .

• Like 1

Apologies for posting incorrect information. That's what I get for trusting my memory. 

I will say in response to Kuetsar that Lebron is taking close to a career high percentage of shots at the rim in these playoffs, and has a historically low foul percentage for him. It's down from around .4 in the regular season to .2 in the playoffs. I think it's fair to say that teams have gotten away with a good amount of contact against him. Basketball is a hard sport to officiate, to be sure, but Lebron, like Shaq before him, often gets the short end of the stick because he is stronger than the people guarding him.

26 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

Basketball is a hard sport to officiate, to be sure, but Lebron, like Shaq before him, often gets the short end of the stick because he is stronger than the people guarding him.

He also travels - a lot - without it ever being called and commits plenty of uncalled fouls himself. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

Apologies for posting incorrect information. That's what I get for trusting my memory. 

I will say in response to Kuetsar that Lebron is taking close to a career high percentage of shots at the rim in these playoffs, and has a historically low foul percentage for him. It's down from around .4 in the regular season to .2 in the playoffs. I think it's fair to say that teams have gotten away with a good amount of contact against him. Basketball is a hard sport to officiate, to be sure, but Lebron, like Shaq before him, often gets the short end of the stick because he is stronger than the people guarding him.

If he only let Frye, the guy they acquired at the trade deadline for his outside shot, play maybe LeBron does not take all of those shots at the rim.

LeBron is a great player but his coaching and GM skills should be questioned.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

He also travels - a lot - without it ever being called and commits plenty of uncalled fouls himself. 

I remember something that was said regarding Shaq years ago:  you could easily call something on him more often, but you could also easily call others on repeatedly beating up the guy every time he goes into the paint.

The rules simply couldn't take into account guys like Shaq and LeBron ever existing, that big and strong and capable of doing pretty much whatever they want on the court to where if they were played straight up, 99% of the league didn't/don't stand a chance.  In a world of near metahumans, those two eclipse everyone from their generation with their sheer physical talent.

I've said it before, but LeBron is the guy you created on NBA Live '97 come to life. "He'll handle like Magic but he as athletic as MJ! And, oh hell, let's give him Karl Malone's body."

Not to mention Charles Barkley's pure down-court speed.

Somewhere, Grant Hill has to laugh at how fickle the world can be.  He possessed many of the components to have a career similar to LeBron, but his body wouldn't hold up.  The basketball gods took notice, and re-calibrated accordingly.