DVDVR Message Board

The 2016 NBA Finals: Cleveland vs Golden State

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Series over. No need for extended analysis of how Cleveland can get back in this or what approach they can use. They aren't winning 4 out of 5 games against GSW.

Cavs just have to win their home games.  Anything can happen in a game 7.

2 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

Please stop rooting for my team. Everything you touch dies. 

If the shit-tastic Rockets can take a game from Golden State, so can the Cavs.  By your logic, I should start cheering for the Dubs. The only way to beat the Warriors is to cheer for them?  I'll take that bullet. 

Steph Curry is better than Jordan!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

If the shit-tastic Rockets can take a game from Golden State, so can the Cavs.  By your logic, I should start cheering for the Dubs. The only way to beat the Warriors is to cheer for them?  I'll take that bullet. 

You are not watching the games, are you?

• Like 1

I don't think it's fair for anyone to rag too much on the Cavs. They seem to start out the games with the best of intentions. They want to play hard. They want to be competitive. They're just not as good and it doesn't appear to even be close.

Clevalanders better hope this series turns around in a hurry.  If the Cavs continue to play like they did last night, there's a good chance the offseason drama revolves around whether they blow up the team and say good bye to Irving and Love in an attempt to appease LeBron, or whether they wave sadly at LeBron as he opts out and goes to LA.

Honestly, I'm for blowing up the team if this is the best they can do.  I have no idea whether the "LeBron doesn't like Irving or Love" stuff is true, but there are a lot of guys you could slot in their place to win the East and get waxed by whoever wins the West.  Right now, it looks like the Cavs are going to have made a better run last year when it was basically James as a one-mand band.

After the debacle last night, I'm really curious how a finals series vs. the Spurs or Thunder would shake out. 

Somewhere, David Blatt is still laughing too hard to get out of bed and start the day.

Frye is relegated to the bench.  

It does not matter who you get to fill the roles for Love and Irving, without a massive upgrade to the bench the result will be the same.  Golden State can go 9 deep on the bench mixing and matching rotations.

Cleveland is 3 deep with 9 tertiary talents.

If LeBron goes to LA does that mean Cleveland gets the top pick for the next five years again?

I don't really understand why losing two games on the road to the literal winningest team ever has caused people to clutch their pearls so hard. The Cavs should lose. They are a very good team that would have beaten a lot of teams in the finals. They won't beat GS. That's fine. No else has either. They've won 140 games in two years. The Love trade was a still a good trade. Kyrie is still a good basketball player. Two games doesn't change those facts, just like the Raptors losing the first two games in the last round didn't magically make Derozan and Lowry scrubs. I'm sad that the Cavs seem destined to be the bridesmaid, but I think focusing on Lebron in this situation really sells short how great the Warriors are, and frankly, how great and how fun this Cavs run was until the finals. 

All that being said, with the cap set to rise, Love and Kyrie on old maxes with a lot of team friendly years left are better trade chips than people realize. The Cavs don't have a ton of draft capital, but they aren't completely devoid of options. Griffin has proven to be a pretty creative GM thus far. I don't think or want them to blow it up, but I do think if they go that route, they won't be stuck getting pennies on the dollar. 

58 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

I don't really understand why losing two games on the road to the literal winningest team ever has caused people to clutch their pearls so hard. The Cavs should lose.

Yep, the Cavs should lose a competitive series.  They look like they could roll over and get embarrassed by a Warriors Team that looked vulnerable against OKC.  People inside the organization and the fanbase are going to look at this result and wonder if the team should have fared better.  And, if not, what has to happen to get the Cavs closer to the title.  Neither line of thought is encouraging.

I agree with the idea that the bench needs upgraded.  But.... sports isn't like running a normal business.  Sometimes you have to do something drastic to show the fanbase you're doing something.  We have season tickets for the pro football team in our area and a package for the pro baseball team (we go to 40-50 games a year).  After a bad year, I want to see them upgrade the critical positions - everyday players, pitchers, etc.  I don't want a letter that says "good news.  We went out and got a better utility player for pinch hitting duties.  By the way, deposits on season ticket packages are due by...." 

If they flop in 4 or 5, I think the Cavs are going to scapegoat either Irving or Love - or both - and bring in someone new,  There will be too much chatter in the media and among ticket holders.  Getting a better seventh man isn't going to do it for the fanbase, 

True.

I doubt LeBron goes to LA.  Why?  In the East he is a big fish in a small pond.  In the West he will have to play against better talent on a nightly basis.  Image wise I doubt he wants to play OKC, Golden State, and San Antonio that many times a year.  

44 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

True.

I doubt LeBron goes to LA.  Why?  In the East he is a big fish in a small pond.  In the West he will have to play against better talent on a nightly basis.  Image wise I doubt he wants to play OKC, Golden State, and San Antonio that many times a year.  

Also, I don't think LeBron wants to live with failing to bring a title back to Cleveland multiple times in two tenures. He possibly thought when he came back to Cleveland that with the Lakers no longer being a power team and the incompetence of the Buss kids, the Clippers never making it deep in the playoffs and seemingly finding ways to choke, the Spurs aging rapidly, and the possibility that OKC might break up sooner rather than later that the West wasn't going to be tough as it has been traditionally in the past compared to the East. Therefore, it would allow the Cavs a chance to find their identity and find their ways to winning a championship finally. I don't think a player of LeBron's caliber could ever foresee someone like Steph Curry playing almost Christ-like on most nights and having the pieces around him to basically secure one sided wins over the best teams on any night. You just don't predict a team is going to hit 73 wins during the regular season. No one would.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

I don't see LeBron leaving without first getting rid of Kyrie and giving it a go.

One thing is clear to me: If the rest of the series (which is looking like just two games tops) plays out like GMs 1 & 2, LeBron has to make his move now as basically the unofficial Cavs GM. We can't forget that this man is already THIRTEEN seasons in right now. George W. Bush was still in his first term when he got drafted. If GSW stays relatively healthy and keeps most of their core, we are talking dynasty. Now, we're getting into a matter of time. Can LeBron build a team before his numbers start to wane and then wane dramatically to the point where he can no longer save games and becomes a gigantic liability himself? What we're seeing in spurts w/ LeBron (the turnovers, bad passes, the ugly shots, the terrible decisionmaking instead of driving to the lane) this Finals is something that could be the norm in say Year 17 and 18. That's only four years away. It may come sooner because being a physical freak of nature with an insane work ethic takes a lot out of you.

What good is LeBron James: very argumentative and distant from his teammates but extremely well compensated role player?

• Like 1

Richard Jefferson is starting for the concussed Kevin Love. 13 years between starts in the Finals has to NBA record. I'll be interested to see if any other player has that long a gap between starts in Championship series/Game

On 6/6/2016 at 8:30 AM, Lawful Metal said:

It's working. Give more compliments.

11 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Y'all don't understand the greatness of Steph Curry. He's just lulling LeBron into a false state of confidence before crushing him with his brilliance.

better than Jordan!

Well you should be happy since they called everything short of jaywalking and littering on the Warriors in the first quarter of that game.

I think that even DRAYMOND LOOKED AT ME FUNNY would've warranted a Technical.