DVDVR Message Board

The 2016 NBA Finals: Cleveland vs Golden State

Dolfan in NYC

39 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Livingston is still somehow underrated but congrats to him.  Warriors bench has been tremendous

Right there is the key.  The Warriors are 9 deep where the Cavs are 5 or 6.  Most teams are 5 or 6 deep but anyway.  

The Warriors can mix and match many different combinations to rotate shots over to guys who get hot.

The Cavs offense will always run around LeBron, Love, and Irving.  Everyone else is tertiary.  

I like the defense the Cavs had on Steph for some of the game even if it was overaggressive, which freed up others cutting to the basket.  Lebron matchup a few times even on Steph at points.  Klay ran into the same problem from last finals with the fouls.

If Lue doesn't figure out when to play Kyrie this series is going to be over quick. They attacked him non-stop.

If it was me I would match Kyrie to Curry's minutes and hope he can use his agility to chase Curry around screens.

There is no point to play Delly or Kyrie against Livingston.  Of course they are going to come right at them when Livingston and Klay are the smallest guys on the court for GS.

The lineup that broke game 1 open for GS would get destroyed by a Bron/Smith/Shump/Love/Thompson unit.  Why give GS 10-15 minutes of a size mismatch when you have the strongest PG of all time? 

Terrible gameplan by Cleveland all around last night. There are plenty of adjustments that could work though so I'm willing to wait and see what Lue has up his sleeve. 

But will they give up their shots.  The entire Cleeland offense is based around three guys. 

Look at the shot attempts.  Golden State was balanced across the board.  The Splash Brothers gave up a lot of shots.  I doubt Cleveland ever does that or has the talent to do that.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bright side for Cleveland: Livingston, Iggy and Barbuda probably won't all play that well again.

Down side: Curry and Thompson probably won't shoot 8-27 again.

Does Cleveland want to tempt fate again? I dunno about giving up 10-0 runs to the bench during Operation Splash Shutdown. Eliminating a three point threat like J.R. doesn't help either.

Also, as you said, you have to give credit to Waiters. Livingston went from taking pitiful, low pct. jumpers in the WCF to looking like a damn Finals MVP candidate in GM 1. He doesn't have to do that every night. If Klay and Steph even get semi hot, he can still contribute sufficiently and Golden State can win.

1 hour ago, Jrag said:

Cleveland has actually spread the ball around pretty well this year. JR and co will get more next game. Love and Kyrie will take a few less. 

They will get a game or two but that is it.  The depth is not there to do what Golden State can do.  Golden State can go nine deep on their roster.  The Cavs are a three man team limited with respect to roster combinations.

1 hour ago, Josh Mann said:

Kyrie Irving STILL hasn't played an NBA Finals game

That's unfair. Game one last year was one of the best performances of his career before the injury.

This year... yeesh