DVDVR Message Board

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping II (6/4/2016) - Inglewood, CA (The Forum)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC 199 this weekend. The main event sees Michael Bisping replacing Chris Weidman on short notice fighting Luke Rockhold for the UFC Middleweight Championship. In his last fight, Michael Bisping became only the second fighter to beat Anderson Silva in the UFC.

The fight I’m most interested in is the co-man event as Dominick Cruz defends the UFC Bantamweight Championship against Urijah Faber with the score at 1-1. The third fight of the trilogy was supposed to take place at UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II way back in 2012 but Dominick Cruz tore his ACL so the fight didn't happen. I looked forward to it then and its happening!

I’m predicting Rockhold by KO in three (wouldn’t be surprised if Luke wins by submission) and Cruz by decision.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how mobile he is. He only did one week of kicks, which was the last week of training. 

I know it seems dirty, but I would oblique kick the shit out of his knee if I am Bisping. Legal techniques are legal techniques.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Unless Meltzer is being fed erroneous information that Rockhold is trying exploit to mind screw Bisping with.

He is too close with AKA for someone to just make stuff up. That would be weird. 

Plus, the commission looked into it like they would have to do anytime someone makes an admission like that. So apparently it's true, but Andy Foster said the fight is 100% going to happen.

47 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If he just tore is Mcl shouldn't be be pulled from the fight?

If the doctors clear him, it's up to the fighter. The UFC isn't going to pull him unless it's a really aggravating injury.

Obviously, he has been cleared and chooses to fight so the fight is going forward

It looks like a lot of people have taken advantage of the new CSAC weigh in rules as according to reports, about half the fighters have weighed in the four hour window that is 2 hours before the actual weigh in. So this might be a pretty short weigh in. 

The face offs will still happen, but for those fighters, Rogan or whoever the MC is will just read the weights.

Even at 145, Guida probably hardly cuts any weight.  

That press conference was hilarious.  I love Bisping, but if he could fight half as good as he can talk, he'd be almost as big of a star as Conor McGregor.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Even at 145, Guida probably hardly cuts any weight.  

That press conference was hilarious.  I love Bisping, but if he could fight half as good as he can talk, he'd be almost as big of a star as Conor McGregor.

Bisping just absolutely knows how to get under people's skin.

I think that presser illuminated what it takes to be a good talker in MMA, and why it's extremely important for longevity. It gave an honest assessment of how all four fighters are. 

I think Rockhold is a decent talker, but his problems is kinda two fold. Despite being always supremely confident, his presence doesn't dominate the room. Very hard to be the alpha male in the room when you have other people who can do that. I think that is what makes him loathe Bisping moreso than what Michael said in the lead up the first fight and the rematch. Bisping can do what Rockhold wants to do. Rockhold very much wants to be the face of the middleweight division. Everything he says now is implicitly trying to make himself the best fighter ever in middleweight history. It's very crafted. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone has to believe what he says. Moreover, it leads to the second problem: Luke has a bad pokerface.

If you've been following the sport only recently, you would think there is no reason for Rockhold to get verbally annihilated by the man who only made a round and a half with him. The thing is....Bisping has been doing this a decade. It's hard to change your stripes at the drop of a hat. I don't think Rockhold is trying to make a radical change to his persona like Faber has been doing, but it's hard to manifest anything nature when your speech is so crafted to fit a narrative you've designed. I think Rockhold and Chael Sonnen are two different personalities (w/ some subtle similarities), but I think it's an apt comparison. Even though Chael said some really ridiculous shit, you can still tell he wanted to be that guy who everyone recognizes as the best. Despite Rockhold being infinitely more talented inside the cage, he is running into a situation Chael was fortunate to never run into. He's up against someone who can easily pick out a tiny flaw that he doesn't want anyone to know about. When Rockhold is talking about being the best this and that, Bisping brought up Jacare and instantly brought that facade down. It was incredible. Rockhold was bringing up how he dominated the first fight, Bisping's eye, and a whole host of stuff. It didn't really phase Bisping at all. Bisping was more realistic and even stating that he knows the odds are stacked against him. Once Bisping brought up Luke turning down the Jacare fight, that tapped into something that Rockhold didn't want out while he is crafting the narrative that he rules the throne at middleweight. Rockhold's voice got a little shaky, he stammered at certain points, and his confidence wavered a bit for the first time. I've rarely seen someone be that bewildered by something that can easily be proven or disproven. You can practice being a good talker, but in most cases, you either have it or you don't.

Faber and Cruz is a bit more easily defined. Faber is trying so hard to be on that McGregor talk train. Faber is doing the inverse of what Bisping is doing. Again, you can't just change stripes like that. You don't have a cool laid back demeanor for 10+ years, and then all of sudden start cutting promos on people. I'll give Rockhold credit in so much that what he is trying craft is simple, direct, and has a clearer purpose. I like the fact Luke is trying to step up in a situation where many people don't even try to make an effort. Faber is trying to be something he clearly isn't and very all over the place. He wants to be like McGregor and set up feuds with 3 or 4 different people, but his speech is nonsensical and can be easily challenged. For someone like Dominick Cruz, who is a verbal sniper, Faber might as well tattoo a bullseye on his head. Faber showing visible frustration and panic gives Cruz even more leverage. Cruz is chaining shit together while Faber trying to fish for something in his vernacular that isn't a curse word. It is amazing to watch unbridled efficiency and futility share the same space.

• Like 1

Bisping is a fantastic talker, but I think it says something that this is first title opportunity.  Basically for the last several years, he's basically been a perennial top 10 guy.  And that's good.  He's had a good career.  But he's never had the skill set to really take him to where the Weidmans and Rockholds of the world were able to guy.  He's well rounded and has decent MMA wrestling, but he does have pillows for fists. 

So yeah it's helped him have longevity, but again if he was just a little better, he could've been an even bigger star.

On 03/06/2016 at 4:14 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

It will be interesting to see how mobile he is. He only did one week of kicks, which was the last week of training. 

I know it seems dirty, but I would oblique kick the shit out of his knee if I am Bisping. Legal techniques are legal techniques.

That they are. Those oblique kicks to the knee make me cringe.