DVDVR Message Board

UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping II (6/4/2016) - Inglewood, CA (The Forum)

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Whether you like him or not, it is impressive to see someone grinding away for so many years and then taking the opportunity that was given to him.

My thoughts exactly. Never a huge Bisping fan but for a guy who was so close to getting a shot so many times and then finally get one on short notice AND THEN pull off the underdog KO = a thing of beauty. I know I was standing and shouting in my living room at 11 am in the morning in probably the most visceral reaction I've had to a fight since shouting at my TV for Nog to tap out. I didn't even expect to react like that cause like I said, never a big Bisping fan....crazy stuff, happy for the man. 

• Like 1

I never liked Bisping before this fight but Rockhold rubbed me the wrong way. Elsalva pointed it out in another thread. Rockhold is a fugazi who wanted to be the best except he had barely been champ and ducked Jacare. Loved Bisping chugging beers and rubbing it in.

• Like 1

In the co-main event, Dominick Cruz predictably retained his UFC Bantamweight Championship against Urijah Faber by decision winning the trilogy 2-1. Dan Henderson KTFO Hector Lombard viciously in the second round with a standing elbow and two on the ground. Second one wasn’t necessary. Be good if Hendo goes out on this win with the recent defeats.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:49 AM, TheVileOne said:

For people who thought Bisping was insufferable and annoying before, holy shit they must be seething.

This fits me to a tee, but he went out there and won his title by knocking a mother fucker out so I have nothing but respect for the guy.

War Bisping and grats on finally getting that strap.

I think I find Cruz more insufferable than Bisping, so I am praying that Dillishaw will put it to that ass in a rematch.

You're pretty much one of the few people who doesn't like Cruz. He is pretty much one of the most liked personalities in MMA, given that he pretty much can out talk all of his opponents (especially Dillashaw who is not a good talker). Plus, the Jason Jackson thing from a year ago on TUF Talk. That was brilliant.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Dominick Cruz strikes me as a condescending prick.  If there is anything to admire, it is his cerebral trash talk.

Oh yeah, he is a prick but for reasons that are really valid. He's far from a bully. Even within his own team, he is very to himself outside anything that isn't actual training or teaching technique. So they like him, but he isn't friends with a bunch of people there.

• Like 3

Rare I disagree with my friend, JT but will have to on Dominick Cruz. Started liking Cruz from the WEC fights I've seen of his, his unique style, beating Urijah Faber and Demetrious Johnson in the UFC in 2011. There's THAT move he put on Team Faber when both coached on The Ultimate Fighter too.

Dominick Cruz tears his ACL, the replacement didn’t take so he had to have it done again. Cruz in his fight since 2011 TKO's Takeya Mizugaki in just over a minute.  The Dominator goes and tears the ACL in his other knee.

This year, Dominick Cruz fought TJ Dillashaw for the UFC Bantamweight Championship at UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz. Dominick won a split decision to regain the UFC Bantamweight Championship he never lost in a fight people scored either for Cruz or Dillashaw. I gave it to Cruz. In his first defense, Cruz  retained against his rival, Urijah Faber from UFC 199: Rockhold vs.Bisping 2 by decision winning the trilogy 2-1. The greatest MMA comeback story ever. Dominick Cruz is so mentally tough. Best talker and analyst in MMA as well.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Oh yeah, he is a prick but for reasons that are really valid. He's far from a bully. Even within his own team, he is very to himself outside anything that isn't actual training or teaching technique. So they like him, but he isn't friends with a bunch of people there.

I don't mind him being true to himself and his training, but you can be confident in your ability without being a douchebag about it. 

That being said, the man came back from injury and won a title, so I respect the guy, his mental toughness, and his work ethic I  definitely concur with his comments about the illusion of ring rust.  It is the built in excuse for a loss.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2016 at 11:58 AM, J.T. said:

I don't mind him being true to himself and his training, but you can be confident in your ability without being a douchebag about it. 

That being said, the man came back from injury and won a title, so I respect the guy, his mental toughness, and his work ethic I  definitely concur with his comments about the illusion of ring rust.  It is the built in excuse for a loss.

I don't think he is really being a douchebag or anything like that. Some people just come off that way because they're standoffish. He never really goes after random people like a Chael Sonnen or a Ben Askren unless they come at him. That and if they say something really stupid.  What does he say that comes off as douchey and can't be proven? Maybe he slides in a tiny half truth but that is everyone in the fight game.

Well, when someone like McGregor or Bisping talks shit and acts like a dick, there's humour, and a charisma and a warmth to it. Like on some level they're just having a laugh, and maybe the audience isn't in on it, but they can tell it's just for fun. Whereas Cruz comes off as all serious and cold (like he's the Lance Storm of MMA or something), so when he's a bit dickish, he seems like he's an actual dick, and not just dicking around.

There's every chance he's actually a much nicer person in real life than most of those other guys though. But who you are in real life and who you appear to be on camera can be two very different things sometimes. Mighty Mouse Johnson probably isn't considered to be really tediously boring by his mates, like.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Well, when someone like McGregor or Bisping talks shit and acts like a dick, there's humour, and a charisma and a warmth to it. Like on some level they're just having a laugh, and maybe the audience isn't in on it, but they can tell it's just for fun. Whereas Cruz comes off as all serious and cold (like he's the Lance Storm of MMA or something), so when he's a bit dickish, he seems like he's an actual dick, and not just dicking around.

There's every chance he's actually a much nicer person in real life than most of those other guys though. But who you are in real life and who you appear to be on camera can be two very different things sometimes. Mighty Mouse Johnson probably isn't considered to be really tediously boring by his mates, like.

A lot of the stuff guys like McGregor and Bisping say doesn't really have warmth to it. When Conor is making up stuff about Rafael dos Anjos' kids having American names, it's only hilarious because it is absolutely ridiculous and clearly untrue if you watch any type of Embedded or Countdown show. However, saying someone isn't their nationality they absolutely represent is seriously pretty out there in terms of being a dick far more than what Cruz usually says. Also, going after a person's children even in a joking manner is extremely personal and enough to warrant catching a fade on the streets.

Cruz is more far competitive with his stuff whereas McGregor has on the spot bits (that may or may not show his competitive side) and Bisping takes what you give him. Either way, each personality has their place in MMA.

I think Lance Storm is a bad example because it implies that it is just one note and monotone when clearly his personality as a analyst and fighter are clearly different. When he is breaking down fights, he is breaking down fights and towing the company line without being extremely fake with it. When he is confronting someone one on one, he goes for blood and the gloves are off. Some people don't have to raise their voice and do the pro wrestling schtick to make their point. That is absolutely refreshing especially when you have someone like Faber do that and fail miserably at it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

disappointed that we likely won't see Cruz vs Barao, and although i really like Barao, i really don't see a way he could win that fight. but i'd like to watch it anyway.

Prior to the weight cutting issues, it would have been an interesting fight. However, if Barao had to make 135 now, Cruz would basically be fighting a zombie. A very vunerable zombie that even Cruz could finish off.

• Like 1