DVDVR Message Board

NXT TakeOver: The End

The Natural

49 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

Glad people are finally seeing this. Finn has nothing but stomps, dropkicks and twitter skills.

Finn will be loved by this board when he changes his finisher to a frowney-face emoji.

• Like 1

Great show.

Andrade was an okay debut. I am not quite sure about his finisher though. Tye Dillenger should be used for so much more than breaking new guys in and jobbing. The guy is genuinely really good and should not be getting this treatment.

The Tag Team match, as I expected, was a show stealer. I absolutely love tag matches on NXT because there is so much action in them and AA and Revival epitomize that for me. The Revival, who I said were terribly under-appreciated, were the MVPs in this match. They were the blue collar bruiser ring generals that they always were billed as and I love their heel antics because it shows that they require thought and it keeps you engaged. American Alp[ha is a culmination of the Steiners and Kurt Angle and I love the energy they bring in their matches like Jason Jordan is the most explosive hot tag in history and it feels like an actual weapon that opponents have to keep track of. Gable was awesome too but story-wise, it made sense that he felt a little thrown off by the Revival's punch you in face rather than wrestle you down tactic which made the match work. Commentator's play up differences in styles a lot and a lot of times it falls flat, but this is one of the few times were it was displayed in the ring. I know some people are shitting on the clear bouts of choregraphy, but I don't care. I loved Low Ki and Amazing Red matches when they did it and I kind of liked the Motor City Machine Guns as well so it did not bother me as much.

Nak and Aries was just as expected although I admit that I was wrong about Aries. He is not a second rate AJ Styles and his best attribute in his wrestling is how he conveys physical exhaustion(something Styles while great at, is nowhere near as badass looking as Aries is). Like he is the guy that you beat down within an inch of his life, but smirks like a cocky little shit and it is not him not selling the move or anything. He still sells the move you may have done on him, but he looks good after getting the shit kicked out of him. Aries is the Vegeta of wrestling. That was his best match since the iconic match with Joe in ROH and it kind of got me liking Aries now if he continues to deliver that quality of matches. I think it is impossible for Nakamura to have a bad match...well except Goto, but Goto sucks. 

Asuka vs Jax was another pleasant surprise because Jax fucking brought her workrate boots. Classic story of unstoppable force meets immovable object. Jax looked really good in this match and it made up for her limited offense. She actually looked intimidating which was something she had a problem with before. Asuka was Asuka. I loved how she has this excellent facial expressions that help her matches. In the beginning, she was mocking Jax with her signature crazed Japanese woman smile, but as soon as Jax cornered her, the smile disappeared. The whole face of uncertainty took over and with a thousand yard stare and I loved it.

The Cage match. Okay, Finn Balor has made some strides into carrying the demon persona characteristics in his wrestling, but sometimes it's like...you watch his entrance and you see this excellent physical acting. Like he looked like a true wild man crawling on the cage like he did with his back hunched over. But once that bell rings, it is just overly aggressive Finn while it is improvement compared to what he was before, it is still somewhat I let down because his entrance conveys so much more than him just being less pretty and slightly more aggressive. He should be a completely different character and have a completely different moveset to make the Demon persona work or else it just Finn walking around body paint and that is less exciting than it should be. The match itself kind of met my low expectations not because of the two wrestling, but it being a cage match, limitations were met. It's just that Cage matches are terrible matches for story telling mainly because of that stupid fucking door that wrestlers can simply ask for the ref outside to open. As soon Joe went for it, I could not suspend my disbelief because I kept asking myself "why doesn't he go for the door?" It is a annoying plot device because cage matches are supposed to be intense scrambles, but it hurts when the wrestlers in question are not trying to escape the cage with the easiest way. If anything, Joe and Finn should have been trying to escape through the door every chance they got like after every move when the attacker is still standing. That would make more sense.

Good show overall. Not sure what happens to NXT now, but I hope it means just the end of takeovers because I can't watch the main roster's stupidity.

• Like 2

Nakamura-Aries was every bit as good as Nakamura-Zayn. 

Loved seeing Paul Ellering back in the spotlight. I'm thinking this makes him the oldest, currently active WWE performer, not counting Lawler since he's just on commentary. 

Well it depends on how you label Vince himself

Oh and if Teddy Long is actually back - he is older than Ellering (since Ellering is as much a "performer" as Lawler and Long)

15 hours ago, (BP) said:

Digital media killed print journalism, even for Precious Paul. 

I said this on Twitter, but he should clock people with Solomon Crowe's old tablets.

• Like 2

Not much more I can say other than Full Sail is going to explode when Tye Dillinger wins the NXT title in a random taping main event.

Not sure on Almas. He came out and my wife's first reaction was "Well that entrance was boring." As a casual she was much more invested in Tye.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

I feel like Almas did enough cocky stuff that he can be turned pretty quickly. My only hope is that once he's a heel, it turns out he's been winning with his finish by using a loaded cup. 

Yeah, his finisher is a wee bit too close to the Bronco Buster. They could easily make it better by tweaking it just a little; do it with one knee, like a tiger knee into the corner.

10 hours ago, Greggulator said:

The Revival/AA match was my platonic ideal of wrestling. The Revival make me realize that I have one dream in life, and that is to be 1/2 of a heel tag team. Or the manager of a heel tag team. I think going custom jacket shopping with your tag partner must be the most fun way to spend an afternoon.

You must be my soul mate. 

I'm still a fan of the satin look. Got to give the babyfaces some ammunition - so I vote for yellow.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There is 0% chance Peyton Royce will be getting a women's title shot at Brooklyn

I prefer the LeBron way.  There is a 1000% chance of Peyton Royce having a 0% chance of getting a title shot in Brooklyn.

And Kyuubi brings up and interesting point which finally identifies the quality that bothers me about Finn's Demon gimmick. 

The only time that Finn really gets into the persona is when he comes to the ring and when the bell sounds, he still delivers his standard spots with maybe a bit more ouch and zip in his step and he sells a bit less, but that's understandable since he's playing the role...

Finn's worked face and heel before so you'd think he'd vary his offense when wearing the paint with a couple of eye pokes or back rakes or one or two tweener-ish spots to sell that the he's in Evil Mode and he's not really giving a fuck right now.

I've always been an Ellering mark so I am stoked by him leading another monster tag-team.  The Authors Of Pain must have just gotten onto the scene.  Most of the vids I've seen of Gzim Selmani are from his MMA days, and most Sunny Dinsha stuff on YouTube and Vimeo are about trying to qualify for the Olympics in GR wrestling. 

It's nice to know that both guys have some sort of a solid background in combat sports so they should adopt well to wrasslin'.  They just have to learn not to potato the shit out of the guys they are working with.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, J.T. said:

And Kyuubi brings up and interesting point which finally identifies the quality that bothers me about Finn's Demon gimmick. 

The only time that Finn really gets into the persona is when he comes to the ring and when the bell sounds, he still delivers his standard spots with maybe a bit more ouch and zip in his step and he sells a bit less, but that's understandable since he's playing the role...

Finn's worked face and heel before so you'd think he'd vary his offense when wearing the paint with a couple of eye pokes or back rakes or one or two tweener-ish spots to sell that the he's in Evil Mode and he's not really giving a fuck right now.

It really would be good to use it as a full Muta transition when he dons the Demon paint.  He could even stay as a straight-up face who basically disassociates when he goes to that place and taps into a more aggressive and ruthless side (shit, he's already got the John Woo - just let him go full SUWA whenever he's Demoned up).  Would probably make for some fun angles/internal and external identity struggles down the road as well.

I'll mirror a lot of what was said here.

Match one: Tye is more over than the dude he put over. It's time for him to get a push and see what happens.

Match two: These two teams seem to be incapable of having a bad match together. Great, great, great match.

Match three: We knew this one would good and it didn't disappoint at all. Nak is the most over act in NXT and will be HUGE on the main roster if booked right (50/50 chance.) This was Austin Aries best match since his ROH days.

Match four: I really liked this match. Asuka actually looked like she was fighting a monster. Her selling and facials were perfect. This is also the best Nia has looked so far. She's starting to get it.

Match five: Eh....it was...eh. I love Joe but I've never been the biggest Finn guy. The paint doesn't alter his character. He just looks cool. Plus, as fun as it was to see a cage in NXT, it just didn't add as much as it could have. This was my least favorite of the matches we've seen between the two. I don't mind if it's time for Finn to move up. He's taking up space at this point IMO.

I don't want people sitting on their hands or the full sail crowd to imitate a Japanese crowd but I swear if I was at this show at some point during the Nakamura match I would have stood up and asked everyone to shut the fuck up and watch the match. No one would hear me though because they'd all be still singing Nakamura's theme song while scratching their neck beards. 

I guess I'm in the minority that wasn't annoyed by them singing it.  I wouldn't encourage it, but watching it on TV I just kind of tuned them out to a degree and still enjoyed the match.  If anything, I wouldn't have minded if they sustained the "Shinsuke, bomaye!" chant they had there for about 10 seconds.  It would have been a chant for him and since Ali meant so much to him I'm sure he would have liked that.  Then again, while I'm not a neckbeard (figuratively and as of this morning literally) I tend to be more forgiving of their chants than I probably should be.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zartan said:

No one would hear me though because they'd all be still singing Nakamura's theme song while scratching their neck beards. 

And tweeting each other.  Don't forget that.

Check out Twitter the night of any show, and it's full of people at the show tweeting and RT'ing other people at the show's tweets.

30 minutes ago, Zartan said:

I don't want people sitting on their hands or the full sail crowd to imitate a Japanese crowd but I swear if I was at this show at some point during the Nakamura match I would have stood up and asked everyone to shut the fuck up and watch the match. No one would hear me though because they'd all be still singing Nakamura's theme song while scratching their neck beards. 

In their defense, you try having a neckbeard. It scratches like crazy.

The crowd is too much at times, but what are ya gonna do? The good outweighs the bad. A loud excited crowd adds so much to the match. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

And tweeting each other.  Don't forget that.

Check out Twitter the night of any show, and it's full of people at the show tweeting and RT'ing other people at the show's tweets.

Why on earth would anybody waste precious seconds of their life looking at that shyit?

I have no idea why people hate the Full Sail crowd. They provide energy up and down the card, stick pretty close to face/heel lines, and are usually pretty patient with the green wrestlers (Eva Marie being the notable exception). Most of the high end matches in Full Sail are made better by the crowd. I assume anyone who watched the Alpha/Revival match and still has a negative word to say about them just hates fun.  

I look at the Full Sail Crowd as having a sense of entitlement to the point that they act too smart for their own good. 

You can't fault then for that as they're seeing the same people grow and work through their mistakes so they take a different stance to some wrestlers... much like the old ECW crowd.

• Like 1