DVDVR Message Board

Overwatch

Gonzo

22 hours ago, Goodear said:

I play games where people are like 'pew pew pew' 7 miles from the point and I'm like 'hey there is an objective that I'm standing on ALONE'.  Today I pushed through solo with a Reinhart who is my most awkward character and I'm just like in a ghost town.  Just me and the point for 10 seconds of matrimonial love.  Where are you fucks?

I'm on PS4 as GoodhartM if you wanna join up.

Preach, brother! I can't stand people who don't stick to the point, and of course, no one does. They run way up to where they're gonna come out. Problem is, some of them slip by, and it's me and my turret (if I'm playing Torbjorn) to defend the point THE ENEMY IS GOING TO COME TO ANYWAY.

We lost a point on AI Easy the other day because no one would defend it and a horde overwhelmed me. First time I've lost anything on AI Easy. We rallied back to win, but I cannot see the wisdom in not defending the thing you're supposed to be defending.

This is all players vs. AI though, and maybe there's some kind of reason why it's not worth bothering in PvP. In player vs. AI, nothing else makes sense. They have limited in-points, so just stay home, guard up and wait to blast them into outer space. Generally, there's two turrets (Torbjorn and Bastion) waiting for them, and a sniper can get in good position. It makes the game a lot easier, too easy on AI Easy, but I'm just playing for funsies.

I played mostly competitive matches yesterday and I keep getting stuck with terrible teams but I still preferred that they doing QUick Play as every time I went into quick play the teams would be 3 Anas and 3 D-Vas

And my team would also have 2 to 3 Anas

I honestly don't think I will play her for like a month since I actually care about team dynamic

Its great because all the people that only played Reaper have to play Ana now so the Support class is getting 2-3 spots a team up.  My competitive team just came back from 2-0 to win a King of the Hill which I take very little credit for.  

FREE PRO TIP:  If you are being healed and a Genji runs past you and you are no longer being healed?  That's YOUR fault.

At the moment I have being affected by Comcast being stupid - so my games are always slightly laggy

I am trying to decide how long it will be before I go down the rabbit hole and start yelling at customer service

Since I lack the balls to be killed repeatedly in competitive, I like playing AI Easy and just dicking around with various characters. D-Va is a new favorite of mine, though her guns are pretty damn weak. I gotta try Ana, but as everyone's said, someone has her every game anyway and I hate doubling up.

Who are you competitive guys' "go tos" when playing? Reaper? One of the snipers?

My go to in competitive is pick my hero last or as the time is running down so I fit the role the team needs.  I'm not so locked into a hero that I need to grab the Junkrat or I'm not having a good time.  After the initial selection, it makes sense to switch characters to counter what is happening to you since most people won't do that and will lock in on being their one guy.  I generally use Free Play as a chance to work with characters I'm not so solid in so I can be more flexible on the larger stage.  I tend to get stuck with Support in Competitive which is worth it for the one time a match I shoot a Reaper in the face as Mercy because they forget I'm packing.  I could do a run down of characters when I get a chance which will be never at this rate.

From my very limited experience with PvP, being a support character is like wearing a bullseye on your back, and the support characters aren't as offensive-minded as the offensive characters.

Plus, my big problem is that in player vs. AI, both easy and medium, have no snipers as AI. So I was used to the fact that I could kinda stay still and everything would be OK. That's death in a match with a sniper. And if I'm busy dying, and respawning, I'm no help to my teammates as a support character.

I prefer something with less pressure, something where I'm not gonna get told that I suck by a 12-year-old. AI Easy is fun for that. You literally can't lose. We lost a point the other day and I was like "what?" We'd spread out and not defended, a horde came charging down my throat and I died and I was the only one defending the objective. Needless to say we came back and won overall, but that was even the first objective I'd seen humans lose when playing AI.

Medium is a slightly harder story. We lose points fairly regularly, but can often mount comebacks. Medium is all about knowing when one character isn't working out for you and when it's time to try something else. I think I tried hard once and knew I wasn't quite ready for that yet.

I'm just not competitive enough for PvP. I used to be really competitively KILL KILL KILL in GTA Online, but I always had crewmates I knew surrounding me and I knew how to fit into their scheme of things. I don't have that in Overwatch. I should've dived right into PvP from the start while I was a Level 1 so it matched me with fellow idiots. Now I've played so much player vs. AI that I'm a Level 21, and I am nowhere near a Level 21 PvP player.

http://kotaku.com/overwatch-gets-rocket-league-like-summer-games-mode-1784717229

This sounds MUCH funner than getting shot 265 times by Hanzo.

Edit: It's cute. If you get competitive about this, you should be banned from gaming. Just got beat 3-0 and every goal the opposition scored defined "fluky" for our time. You can't take it seriously at all. If you even begin to like this, you should get Rocket League, stat. This is like Rocket League played on an Atari or something. I would hope the Rocket League guys are at least getting paid or benefiting from all the free publicity.

To be a 47-year-old man, I was oddly excited to open my Summer Games loot box. It was just the same ol' stuff. Oh well.

I will have to try and sneak in a game before Smackdown

Oh and Blizzard did a wave of banning cheaters so of course I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY BANNED ME FOR CHEATING!!!! THIS IS SO UNFAIR!!!

God bless stupid people

Played one game of Lucio ball before the servers cramped out.

Lost with 3 seconds left so boo....

Happy with my loot box - funnily 3 of my 4  things were for Hanzo

It's hard to keep games going late because of the favorite sport of the Internet Gaming Chicken, quitting when you're losing. I know it's tough when it's 4-2 and there's 30 seconds left, but c'mon, be a good sport and play out the 30 seconds.

Funny thing was I tried to get a game of player vs. AI going and couldn't find anyone to participate - everyone was playing Lucio ball or something. Maybe there's server problems I don't notice because I'm not as used to identifying them as I am with GTA's server problems.

Well I was mid match and got booted all the way back to the main page and then couldn't get back in - just kept getting error message. So that's how I knew it was FUBARed

I was a DDoS attack and folks have said that it was launched by said banned players

Competitive Season 1 will end August 17 (8 PM EST/ 5 PM PT)

Season 2 will start Sept 6

I can not wait for Season 2 as I am tired of the overtime bullshit and the wacky do experience

Oh and I need to get back over 40 (after a shit run of teammates today I am at 39)

And they are rewarding CP based on levels - and the first tier break is between 39 and 40

On 7/31/2016 at 1:39 AM, jstout said:

From my very limited experience with PvP, being a support character is like wearing a bullseye on your back, and the support characters aren't as offensive-minded as the offensive characters.

Plus, my big problem is that in player vs. AI, both easy and medium, have no snipers as AI. So I was used to the fact that I could kinda stay still and everything would be OK. That's death in a match with a sniper. And if I'm busy dying, and respawning, I'm no help to my teammates as a support character.

I'm just not competitive enough for PvP. I used to be really competitively KILL KILL KILL in GTA Online, but I always had crewmates I knew surrounding me and I knew how to fit into their scheme of things. I don't have that in Overwatch. I should've dived right into PvP from the start while I was a Level 1 so it matched me with fellow idiots. Now I've played so much player vs. AI that I'm a Level 21, and I am nowhere near a Level 21 PvP player.

Being Mercy or Lucio means good players will hunt you down because that's the smart play but you also benefit from a lot of mobility and self healing.  People forget Mercy's ability to zoom to other teammates which should be used frequently to get out of jams.  If the rest of the team is dead, there is very little point to avoid death anyway since you are going to be most effective in a crowd.  With Lucio its easy to turn on heals and forget to switch back and forth to speed boost.  The speed buff should be your default unless you are surrounded by teammates who are taking damage.  One thing you can do is Amp it Up to top off your crew's health and switch back to speed when  The other support guys tend to get targeted because they are squishy targets and people love getting kills and they also don't have any movement ability.   You can make people pay in the long range with Zenyata and short with Symetra.

• 3 weeks later...

I never do the "free play weekend" nonsense that online games do, but I may do that with this game. I'd love a full weekend of it to see if I actually want to drop some cash on just owning the thing. Although, I'm sure I'll be god awful at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Stay away from Competitive for the moment

Pick two or three people to play and get used to/good with. You can start to expand from there

When looking at the heroes info - you should see stars (1 to 3) that indicate how "easy" it is to learn the character. So you might want to start with folks who are 1 star. Also - playing as people who can heal themselves helps too as you are learning

Play a couple of games against the AI (don't stay there like stout does). You get more experience in Quick Play and achievements/trophies only unlock in competitive and quick play

Don't quit mid-match. Even if it is horrific - you get your xp at the end and you get based on match time/completion etc. Plus they track if you quit too often

Obviously play with friends if you any who are playing the game

Watch this

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still in but my Romani foster kid has taken over the PS4 TV to watch Bollywood movies at all times.  I spent my cash to get the Zenyata skin for the Halloween.  Horde mode is fun.