DVDVR Message Board

Overwatch

Gonzo

For those still following along

Season 2 will end Nov 24 (which is Thanksgiving Day in the US) and Season 3 will start Dec 1

There are some changes to placement games with basically factoring in your previous ranks to help determine your rank

• 2 weeks later...

They are introducing an Arcade mode - that will feature some new game modes and where all the original brawls will go. It will also be where Quick Play as you know it now.

They are making Quick Play with a single hero limit (thank God)

http://kotaku.com/overwatchs-arcade-mode-will-balance-quick-plays-new-sin-1788598478

I got an hour's worth of games in and here's a quick summary re: what I feel about them.

1) I am going to wait for the Sombra-Off to slow down before getting back into it
2) 3v3 is Trials of Osiris. I don't post in the destiny thread a lot so let me make it clear: I do not like Trials of Osiris.
3) The new map is weird and sparse and dark, and I really like it as a contrast to everything else.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, J.T. said:

Jesus, you are still playing Overwatch..

I play maybe a hour a day - basically enough to get my next loot box since there are still like 9000 things I haven't unlocked.

They also literally just added (as in yesterday with this Winter patch) - the ability for randos to stay together as a group. So that does make it easier for solo queuers like myself to stick with people who don't play with their heads up their asses

But Skyrim basically sliced my Overwatch time by 90%

• 5 months later...
10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I like the game - I just need to play other ones.

Skyrim is going back in sooner rather than later too

Before Andromeda, I would've never believed that but after spending HOURS combing Eos for one fucking random quest trigger, I 100% see where you're coming from.

I will be scouting for a copy of Watch Dogs 2 on the cheap to kill time before Destiny 2 so yeah, I am Jack's gluttony for punishment.

• 5 weeks later...

I am officially worthless at Overwatch.  May never get beyond playing against bots.

Hope everyone with Amazon Prime claimed their free Gold Loot Box (available to anyone who links a Twitch account to an Amazon account with Prime, which has the added bonus of nuking ads and other things I don't use Twitch enough to understand)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up for anyone that wants to use Doomfist, to give you a one up on the competition

Doomfist kind of works like a League of Legends assassin-type character, where his abilities are to be used in one sequence as a combo. Everyone is going to get this combo wrong at first and it's going to be hillarious.

The wrong combo: Rocket Punch -> Uppercut -> Leap. See, after you uppercut, it's going to draw a target for where your splash will come down. this will be tempting, but it doesn't do enough damage to justify ever using it.

So here's the right order of the combo:

Seismic Slam -> Rising Uppercut -> Either Rocket Punch or Unloading your fully loaded gun.
(henceforth I'm going to be using Leap, Uppercut, and Punch 

You want to start with the Leap because, as this unembedable gif demonstrates, the shockwave pulls enemies towards you. This pulls targets into range for the uppercut without you having to do any additional maneuvering. So you use the leap to bypass shields and get to the back line, where you're either trying to headhunt a support or sniper, and distract the front line for the rest of your team.

Now, the end of this combo depends on two things. First, location. You are not going to have time to charge the punch to full in mid air. So, ONLY use the Punch if there is a wall very close to you. The wall splat from the punch is where the damage comes from. The punch by itself is maybe 100 damage at full charge, the wall splat more than doubles it. Either way, it will break up a tightly woven group. If you're not in range for a wall, then just shoot them four times with the shotgun while there's no other targets around, and that oughta take care of it.

Second- and this is an edge case- If you can only launch the Tank, then you want to use the punch to knock them away from the rest of the team. This is more to apply to someone like Reinhardt or Roadhog, who have no manuverability options and can't eat the knockback. A smart Zarya will eat the uppercut to fuck you over on the punch, and then just stand there shooting that laser while you're helpless.

So yeah. Doomfist tech. I oughta charge a fee.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:57 AM, JLSigman said:

So they've added Doomfist.

And killed off Tracer? Or am I misunderstanding the intro video?

You are misunderstanding.  That was the fight where Winston beat Doomfist and sent him to prison.  Hence the CG announcement short where Talon is trying to steal his gauntlet after he was beaten and incarcerated.

So he spends some years in prison, breaks out, steals back his gauntlet from the Numbani airport map and destroys all the OR robots.  Than that kid scientist Eli creates Orisa from the wreckage.  So now Doomfist is free and has his gauntlet back and is back with Talon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

You are misunderstanding.  That was the fight where Winston beat Doomfist and sent him to prison.  Hence the CG announcement short where Talon is trying to steal his gauntlet after he was beaten and incarcerated.

So he spends some years in prison, breaks out, steals back his gauntlet from the Numbani airport map and destroys all the OR robots.  Than that kid scientist Eli creates Orisa from the wreckage.  So now Doomfist is free and has his gauntlet back and is back with Talon.

Sounds like a Chikara storyline.

• Like 1