DVDVR Message Board

Overwatch

Gonzo

I'm on level 41 at the time being and I play pretty casually on PS4.  Most of the fun of it comes from figuring out the roles you are supposed to be playing with a character and adjusting on the fly to what the other team is doing.  Being stubborn and running strait in with a Soldier 76 is just going to get you chewed up.  Winston is not made to stand in the middle of a firefight.  There are certainly easier characters to use to get used to the idea (playing as Lucio especially will teach you to fire on the move) and you can still feel like a contributor without knowing how to shoot a gnat off a rodent's tail.  I felt much better with this than Call of Duty where I felt like such an anchor to my team.

I really am kinda of proud of myself for how much I kinda don't suck at this game but I also know that I RARELY going against good players.

(Mainly since the hardcores are all playing via the PC)

I went on a roll the other night where I think I had 4 straight matches where I had the Play of the Game (again flawed system but it at least means I did something right)

God and the Overtime system really is some bullshit

Torbjorn is getting nerfed (at least on the consoles)

“In an upcoming patch, we will reduce the damage done by Torbjörn’s turret by 30% on Xbox One and PS4. PC will remain unchanged,” wrote Kaplan, chiming in on a lengthy Reddit thread complaining about the character. “ETA - Mid to late July depending on 1st party certification times.”

I think there was a smarter way to go about that by reducing the turrets arc of fire from 360 "Can't sneak up on me" to something more like 90-180 degrees so they could be vulnerable to flankers like Tracer or Reaper.  Right now there are some characters that cannot deal with turrets in any way and that's not so much fun.  A damage reduction doesn't seem as interesting.  Torb has reached the Bastion level of 'no votes for eliminations' for me.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:26 AM, RIPPA said:

Last night - every single match I was in - whoever was the defending side had at least three Torbjorn's on it

It was ridiculous

You need to start haunting the message boards for Overwatch.  Bungie Boards may be totally toxic, but they always gave you a heads up about what the new hot builds were and whatever the latest glitch was that exploiters were using. 

There are probably threads and threads at the Overwatch boards detailing the crap you are talking about here.

I'm really interested in how the competitive mode will work. There must be a reason they haven't released it until now.

I love the gameflow but I have a hard time to keep going for over a few games by myself. I like to feel like i'm making progress and Overwatch doesn't quite do that. 

Competitive play has shown up early on the console

Just downloaded the update and now it is staring me in the face

I guess I will do the placement matches when I get back from NY on Monday. That should be comical 

Oh and forgot to say that the other night was the first night I ran into problems with other players

One match had a guy who purposely was trolling his own teammates as he kept setting up his portal so folks would spawn off a cliff. And again - he was doing that to his own teammates.

Another dude would hide in the spawn area until his ultimate charged then he would come out, use it stupidly and then head on back.

I really need to get better at reporting people quickly

Being away from the game for 4 days right at the tme Competitve play was released made me start thinking that I am almost wondering if the release of Competitive play will be the thing that makes me not play anymore.

I know I always have Quick Play but part of me has the feeling that there really will be no incentive to play that mode and I really don't have the desire to be in Competitive mode with professionals and in area (by earlier accounts) is completely opposite of what makes/made the base game so appealing.

We shall see.

I will play my 10 matches, get placed and then get yelled at by children

Took about a couple weeks off of Overwatch to play a shit load of Dota and it was like riding a bike. First match I'm in I pick Mei and we're assigned to stopping the payload. I put up ice walls all over the place and kept turning into a block of ice whenever someone would ult or start firing on me. I love Mei's survivability.

The other team was seconds away from winning. A timely ice wall and ult allowed us to start pushing the payload back. We kept this up for 2 or 3 minutes, but with 2 minutes left, we couldn't hold on anymore.

It was nice to take all of that time off, come back, still have a feel for playing, and receive the most commends post-match even though our team lost all because I kept putting up walls at the right time and in the right spots.

Time off + boredom with every game I own = me spending money I don't have on this. I'm gonna infuriate every teammate I have for months as I try to pick this up.

Have they nerfed Groundskeeper Willie yet? What about ol' Birdbot? I gotta find a niche or two in this game super-quick. Hopefully it'll keep me with fellow idiots until I figure it out.

Edit: Tried going healer-heavy with Mercy and it's amazing how easy it is to just hang back, healing people. Out of all the games I played (against AI), no one died. Ever. I'm not gonna win Play of the Game, and I dunno how I'll fare against humans, or hell, on a regular AI level and not easy, but it's kinda fun to be the enabler for everyone else's running and gunning.

Double edit: This is only applicable to AI on easy. Medium? Too tough. Against other players? Get killed a lot.

Starting as a healer isn't a bad idea either because it means most folks will play as someone else and not begrudingly be the healer.

Plus you can hang back and yell at people to heal you

I play the fuck out of Symmetra whenever I am put on the Defense side as I just through up those little sentry turrets everywhere and give people shields

It's amazing that on easy, for the most part, the AI opponents leave me alone when I'm playing Mercy. I can just sorta drift from person to person virtually unattacked. If there's nothing else to do, I can use that pea shooter to have to take out enemies at close range while waiting for the next player to refuel.

Game I just got done had me playing as Mercy and another person playing as Mercy. I'd much rather be someone else, but I'm trying to be a team player. I don't think it matters what you do on AI easy. I have to spread my wings and try different people. Soldier 76 seems to be another good starter character. I just hope new players come along constantly to play AI easy, 'cause I'm not going anywhere for a long time.

For all the nerfing, 99 percent of the plays of the game at my level are still Bastion. I get such a weird kick out of his "charge!" sound, it always makes me laugh.

I'm not getting a play of the game as Mercy, come on.

I gotta try Roadhog, plus I do wanna play more with Torbjorn and Bastion. I like the cowboy guy (gotta learn more names).

What I don't understand is that if you're defending a spot, why does everyone go away from the spot? Stay in one place, let them come to you, and give me a little cover and a chance to do some healing when you need it and we're golden. When people split up and I can't get to you, that's when you're more likely to die. Especially since it takes forever for me to earn my special. I like hallways where I can duck in and out, preferably with a health pack nearby so I can use that on myself, if needed.

EDIT: PLAY OF THE GAME WAS MINE, DAMMIT! DAMN YOU, TORBJORN!

Also, Lucio is neat-o. More offensively minded while still healing. A good mix between helping out and being in the action. This is a fun, fun, fun game provided I can still  keep playing co-op and everyone doesn't migrate to competitive. I think that probably won't be the case anytime soon, especially with Christmas coming up and new players jumping on then. Competitive is a bit too, well, competitive for me at this juncture of me playing this game. I wanna screw around with new characters without dying 500 times.

DOUBLE EDIT: I GOT PLAY OF THE GAME, I AM AWESOME! NEVER MIND IT WAS AGAINST AI ON EASY, WHO CARES?

Reaper is pretty badass as a runner and gunner, and I never used his teleport function. His special is hot, fiery death if there are a bunch of enemies around.

My favorite is still Lucio - no one wants to play a healer, but the team needs one. Lucio manages to hang right in there as a fighter while healing folks (though not to the level of Mercy). He's a good balance between team orientation and doing some fighting. His special is useless because no one groups together enough to really make use of his shield.

The amazing part of this game, for me, is that this is a highly team-tactics-oriented game and NO ONE talks on the game chat. One guy talked for a second, then quit the game, then another guy made a coughing noise and that's all I've heard. 

I saw you on, and thought "hey, wonder if I could play a game with Phil?" then noticed you were, like, level 252, and said "no, me stay in loser's corner." I think I'm a Level 11 at this point.

This morning was "little kid on mic" morning and "obnoxious asshole thinking he's running the show 'cause he's the only one on mic" morning.

I wanted to smack that one dude with a bat - he got kinda pissy 'cause I wasn't healing him to his liking, even though he was always 200 miles away from me. So he died and came back as a healer, so we had two healers on a six-person team playing AI Easy, where you don't really NEED healers anyway. So he tells everybody to group up around him and everyone does, making it much easier for him to heal them. I would've done a fine job healing everyone had they, you know, ACTUALLY STUCK TO DEFENDING THE CHECKPOINT as opposed to flailing around all over the map trying to be Billy Bob Badass taking on opposing dudes 4 on 1 and staying out of position for me to heal them when they inevitably got low on health.

This was after some little kid told me I was fucking up because I got play of the game and led the team offensively as a healer (Lucio). I can't help it if you guys suck, calm down.

People: Is there anything they can't ruin?

See this is why I dont turn on the chat (and the irony of you like 3 posts earlier complaining that no one talks)

Now I do know when I do my competitive placement matches - I will turn it on and then want to carpet bomb the world

The chat was coming through the TV. I think I've got it off now. I was shocked there weren't more kids chatting, that's what kids do. But I wanted more time to grab my headset and have a chat with the asshole who gave us two healers.

I don't mind chatting with people in teamwork-based games if everyone's making sense. But it's frustrating as hell to have a point that you're supposed to be defending choked off with very few entrances and no one's bothering to defend it because they're too busy playing disorganized and away from everyone else. It's hardly an issue in AI easy - I've never lost a match in AI easy. Never won one in AI medium.

I think on Easy, the AI attacks the character who's the greatest threat. People will pass me by as Lucio because I'm not exactly packing super heat. But I sure know how to shoot them in the back.

Big fan of Reaper (sorry, Rippa) when playing offense, but I wanna play some Bastion - there are times in defense missions where he's incredibly handy.

Competitive play? You have fun. I can't see me ever doing that unless I improve greatly.

EDIT: I'm hanging on AI Medium. Really upping my Lucio game. Kinda like the old thing about being a better musician by playing with better musicians.