DVDVR Message Board

Overwatch

Gonzo

So yeah, I wound up picking this up. . .with the just-announced No Man's Sky delay, it might not be such a bad thing after all.

I'm generally not terribly good at these sorts of games, but with all the reviews raving about it, I figured why not.

Anyone else in on this one?

I was in on the open beta for PC and PS4 and wound up buying it for the PC. My main reason for picking PC is that I could see the console versions not getting the same support as the PC version.

I've been playing the full game since Monday and I really like it. The biggest problem I have at the moment is using other characters. I always want to stick with Mei, Reinhardt, and Reaver, but I know I should be using everyone to just get a feel for them. I did start using Roadhog last night or the night before and he was a lot of fun. He's a total ripoff of Pudge from Dota, but I like him.

I'm looking forward to when the Competitive mode is unlocked. I also wonder if they'll ever allow you to play a specific mode.

I've been trying to resist the siren's call of this game. I loved the beta, but it's one of those games that I KNOW I will never get the true hang of, know what I mean? And there's no single-player way to hone your skills, so all I'll be is a liability to my teammates in co-op and cannon fodder in team vs. team. Kinda like in GTA Online.

That's what good teammates are for.

I was dragged kicking and screaming through most of Destiny by pretty much everyone around here who played it.  I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I just don't have the chops to be good at these games and know my place and to shoot out of this tiny hole beneath the stairs so your ass won't keep dying and dying all mission long when I'm told.

Okay so apparently there has been some controversy and people have found issues with Tracer's butt so Blizzard has changed her victory pose from this:

Overwatch-Tracer-Over-The-Shoulder.png

to this:

officialpose-900x450.jpg

1. You can still see her ass.

2. It's a Rated T game, so the subject matter won't be that graphic so is this really a big deal?

From what I've seen, this looks like so much fun. I wonder if I'm already too late on it, though. With shooters, it sometimes feels to me that if you can't play it right at launch, you're so far behind the people who are playing it obsessively that it's harder to not only get better, but to really have much fun at all in some cases.

It's why I rarely play online shooters these days. I might only get to play a handful of matches a week at this point, so being on the wrong side of a slaughter is as likely as it is not fun...

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

From what I've seen, this looks like so much fun. I wonder if I'm already too late on it, though. With shooters, it sometimes feels to me that if you can't play it right at launch, you're so far behind the people who are playing it obsessively that it's harder to not only get better, but to really have much fun at all in some cases.

It's why I rarely play online shooters these days. I might only get to play a handful of matches a week at this point, so being on the wrong side of a slaughter is as likely as it is not fun...

What's funny is I kinda feel the same way. Like clearly Overwatch is a "Thing" and I am debating trying it.

But I also feel like I am already so far behind I will never catch up to people already playing it.

This might all have to do with it being a Blizzard game

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But I also feel like I am already so far behind I will never catch up to people already playing it.

This might all have to do with it being a Blizzard game

The power curve for Blizsoft games is steep.  I remember my friends suckering me into playing WoW and I was a lonely Dwarf in the newbie zone killing newbie trash while they were off doing high end shit.  I quit within a week.

Trust me, you're not behind.

So here's the thing...The game is so team based that if you suck or are new, you should be ok. Yes, you will have a rough round every now and then, but there's so many awesome ways to play support or so many ways to tank, that you'll have teammates having your back.

Plus, the other awesome thing is the ability to change characters any time you die. You can stick with the same character, but if the other team has a lot of firepower, you're going to want to switch to a Genji to deflect bullets or a Rinehardt to throw up a shield.

I was worried about falling behind the curve, but it's very balanced. It's not like CoD or Battlefield where you're boned if you take a break for a week or two.

I agree with everyone about the learning curve. What scares me is that there's 250 characters, all with different specials, weapons, etc. I couldn't possibly keep all that crap straight.

Really, I honestly think I'm too old for it. I'm terrible at video games, and already have enough 12-year-old kids dominating me in GTA Online, thanks.

That was easily my favorite part of the game when I played the beta. I hate it when someone has 200 times the firepower you do simply because they play the game all the time (even though I'm glad to have that system in GTA - though they have definitely given newbies much better weapons than when I started out).

Haven't played as much as I'd like yet, but the couple of times I have played I've ended up playing as Mercy.

People appreciate a good healer, I think. Sure, I died a lot, but I think I did a decent job of keeping people alive, too.

Going to have to try someone else next time, though. . .someone else can change their character when the pre-game countdown gets to 5 and the thing says that our team doesn't have any Support heroes.

I haven't played an actual match yet - did the tutorial and then went into the training area to play as a few people to figure out what the fuck was going on

Did a match against bots and of course the one guy in the chat didn't speak English (and by the sound of it was in the middle of a party)

Definietly going to have to fiddle with my settings 

It's always nice when you play as Mercy and by the time you make it to the checkpoint you're supposed to be defending you've got three team members showing as "critical" already.

I definitely need some work with some other characters. . .did a couple games as McCree, a couple as Roadhog. Mercy is still probably my strongest character, though, as long as I can stay the hell away from people on the other team. Should maybe learn to play a defense character one of these times.

Won my first two real matches and now almost don't want to play anymore so I can remain undefeated

It is amazing to see how easy it is to win a match if the entire team sticks together (even if communication is minimal)

Both games so far have had other people just meandering around doing whatever the fuck they want - meanwhile my team has stuck close to each other, healing, supporting, etc..Such the novel concept

Had a couple of pretty solid games (I think) as Rhinehart last night. Was basically a lot of me moving in front of my teammates and throwing up my shield combined with the occasional crushing of an opponent's skull with my hammer.

Only died a couple of times. . .in the first round we did the other team was super disorganized, which probably helped.