DVDVR Message Board

WWE BRAND SPLIT 2.0

WWE would be stupid to change the names of Raw and SD. Both are very well-established brand names that have reach beyond the wrestling bubble. Look how long it took outsiders to catch on to the name WWE and that's only one letter, yet you still hear people say WWF 14 years later. You wouldn't tell the NFL "you know 'super bowl' is a pretty dated sounding name, you should really freshen that up." The names have stuck.

They may need to change the presentation, set design, production, lighting, announcing, and probably a bunch of other things, but the show names are fine.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

WWE would be stupid to change the names of Raw and SD. Both are very well-established brand names that have reach beyond the wrestling bubble. Look how long it took outsiders to catch on to the name WWE and that's only one letter, yet you still hear people say WWF 14 years later. You wouldn't tell the NFL "you know 'super bowl' is a pretty dated sounding name, you should really freshen that up." The names have stuck.

They may need to change the presentation, set design, production, lighting, announcing, and probably a bunch of other things, but the show names are fine.

You're right about the name WWE.  I have a Washington Post magazine in front of me that references a trophy given in an office as "a WWF-style belt" so, after all this time, it still hasn't caught on 14 years later because wrestling is still considered lowest common denominator entertainment for retards, rednecks and children.

2 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

To argue that WCW is a stronger brand name at this point is to be out of touch.

Very out-of-touch actually, since #wcw (woman crush wednesday) became a thing on social media. It would almost be as bad of a name as TNA for a wrestling company at this point. Almost.

• Like 1

Spoiler from NXT I guess...

Spoiler

Running Finn/Nak the week before the draft instead of saving it for Brooklyn pretty much confirms that there's definitely going to be NXT call ups and that 12 number night not be that far off

Yeah, but I never expected them to have that match at Takeover. The next Takeover is at the end of August, so that would have been a long build-up.

I always expected them to have that match on a regular episode and then build up to Nakamura vs. Joe at Takeover.

Besides the match will now happen on the same day as the first episode of the CWC, so they will probably promote that as a big double-header on the network.

EDIT: I still expect them to call up a lot of guys to the main roster, but I think a good chunk of them will also stick around on NXT at least until Takeover. I doubt they will have a Takeover at a huge arena with only new guys.

Probably too many things are already called Fastlane for the to be able to get the Trademark or Copyright. Like that show with Tiffani Theissen they used to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

I guess Meltzer said they were looking into bring Angle back because of the split? Are they insane?

He confirmed it's not happening today.

Amid speculation that many former WWE stars have been approached with returning to the company due to the upcoming brand split, the possibility that free agent Kurt Angle could be one of those talents got some fans excited.

Unfortunately for those fans, that will be an unrealized dream as WWE officials confirmed Thursday that Angle is not returning to the company.

The story started when Angle was on Mark Madden's Pittsburgh radio show on Monday and said that Paul Levesque had called him, but that no deal was in place. Although nobody officially said it, the story grew to a point where people said that a deal was done with a start date even listed.

• Like 1

Well it doesn't mean it won't happen but since one of the shitty "news" sites clearly made up a story about him being signed - actual folks went to confirm it and that is why it got shot down

• Like 1

I don't know this world where the brand names 'Raw' and 'SmackDown' have any relevance outside of the pro wrestling bubble.  Non-fans might know there's wrestling on Monday nights but they don't know 'Raw' as anything.  I mean, I don't talk about this stuff with normal people but I think 'Raw' sounds salacious and 'SmackDown' sounds like an amateur tough guy contest or a monster truck rally.

Just having different colors while both shows feature WWE-branded championships and WWE logos everywhere including the bug on the screen is just the same show on different nights.  Look how people seem to think NXT is separate from the larger WWE "Universe" even though it's all under the same umbrella.  Even if NXT was exactly the same, I don't think it would get the same recognition if it were referenced as the 'Next Brand'.  They don't have to use WCW but they need some kind of alphabet soup to differentiate the two brands.  I'm just saying WCW cause other than the WWE library, the WCW footage would have to be their largest video library already being exploited on the WWE Network.  The event names are available and the championships would have provenance.  Also, 2K didn't bring in Goldberg this year or Sting a couple of years ago because they were big WWE Superstars.

Raw, SmackDown, NXT or WWE, WCW, NXT.  It's all going to end the same way again in a few years when they get bored with it anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

I don't know this world where the brand names 'Raw' and 'SmackDown' have any relevance outside of the pro wrestling bubble.  Non-fans might know there's wrestling on Monday nights but they don't know 'Raw' as anything.  I mean, I don't talk about this stuff with normal people but I think 'Raw' sounds salacious and 'SmackDown' sounds like an amateur tough guy contest or a monster truck rally.

Just having different colors while both shows feature WWE-branded championships and WWE logos everywhere including the bug on the screen is just the same show on different nights.  Look how people seem to think NXT is separate from the larger WWE "Universe" even though it's all under the same umbrella.  Even if NXT was exactly the same, I don't think it would get the same recognition if it were referenced as the 'Next Brand'.  They don't have to use WCW but they need some kind of alphabet soup to differentiate the two brands.  I'm just saying WCW cause other than the WWE library, the WCW footage would have to be their largest video library already being exploited on the WWE Network.  The event names are available and the championships would have provenance.  Also, 2K didn't bring in Goldberg this year or Sting a couple of years ago because they were big WWE Superstars.

Raw, SmackDown, NXT or WWE, WCW, NXT.  It's all going to end the same way again in a few years when they get bored with it anyway.

We appear to be a collective of old fogies with graying body hair. Brands do come and go, and it was just 21 years ago that Superstars was the WWE's main show... and NWA had Wored Championship Wrestling which late gave way to WCW Saturday Night. 

Brands come and go.. just like marriages... or unions. Sometimes they just run their course. Smackdown as a brand hasn't been relevant in probably close to 10 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

We appear to be a collective of old fogies with graying body hair. Brands do come and go, and it was just 21 years ago that Superstars was the WWE's main show... and NWA had Wored Championship Wrestling which late gave way to WCW Saturday Night. 

Brands come and go.. just like marriages... or unions. Sometimes they just run their course. Smackdown as a brand hasn't been relevant in probably close to 10 years. 

#NXiT

• Like 3

Also

WWE is taping NXT tonight at Full Sail University which includes Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Finn Balor. Lots of last minute changes based on who is and isn't getting called up. If key people lose unexpectedly, that may be a hint. 

Angle's comments on the latest news situation:

In response to some of your questions today regarding the WWE, and all of the media fanfare about it the last few days, I want to, once again, say that our confidential conversation never discussed the brand split. A few wrestling sites seem to have put a spin on this by twisting some words around to fit their agenda, something that I have no control over. What I CAN control is my own life, and my life isn't only wrestling. I do not expect to be in wrestling much longer. I AM excited about my future. Thank you.

Just to drop this in here if anybody is interested in the topic, but we did a podcast this week tackling the split, dividing the rosters and booking forward, looking at who should go to which show and why, the title situation, NXT call-ups, feuds and stories out of the gate, possible directions for WrestleMania 33 and so on. Ended up being quite a curious look at the logistical issues they're facing when you try and hammer this thing out and deal with specifics. I'm a sucker for a draft, so the idea is naturally interesting to me, but having to draft enough good guys to fill a 3 hour show was very thought-provoking, can see why they're looking to the outside. Anyway, here's the link if you wanna check it out.

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/5b49v4/SCG_Radio_89_-_Booking_the_2016_WWE_Draft.mp3