DVDVR Message Board

WWE BRAND SPLIT 2.0

This is going to be a fun couple of months. I mean that. The draft episodes were always hugely entertaining. This'll almost have to lead to longer matches and more six-mans and titles and just a general shaking up of everything.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, offspring515 said:

Raw is tedious with access to the whole roster, I can't imagine how repetitive it's going to get having to fill 3+ hours each week with half the people. 

Hopefully it leads to more focus on the other divisions. With three hours they should by necessity have deep and heavily featured tag-team and women's divisions to take up time. Maybe even cruiserweights after the tournament. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

WWE just announced that Smackdown is going live on Tuesdays starting July 19th.

Two live shows on back to back nights is going to be weird.

16 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

They also announced the Brand Split is official.  So both shows are different rosters.

Big breaking news that. I liked when the roster split was strictly enforced which meant brand vs. brand matches were a big deal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Big breaking news that. I liked when the roster split was strictly enforced which meant brand vs. brand matches were a big deal.

With the Network now in play, it makes sense to go back to the alternating PPV system with the brands meeting up at the Big 4 shows.  It'll give more time and hopefully money to midcard talent who get lost in the shuffle otherwise.

• Like 7

First off I think the Shane/Stephanie pairing, while not making for great TV is probably good for Stephanie and Shane personally. They both seem to be having fun working on TV together and not having to constantly fight. Babyface Steph is the best Steph IMO.

Also who from the past would have most benefited from a brand split and two world titles? For people like Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase, Mr. Perfect, Razor Ramon and Roddy Piper who never got to hold the WWF Title would they have been the other world champion if WWF had two world titles?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

With the Network now in play, it makes sense to go back to the alternating PPV system with the brands meeting up at the Big 4 shows.  It'll give more time and hopefully money to midcard talent who get lost in the shuffle otherwise.

Well put, @Burgundy LaRue!

• Like 1

I'm kinda bummed out about this mostly because I've ignored Smackdowns existence for quite a while now but now I might have to try to find time to watch another show depending on how the split works out.

Please please please don't have two world titles.  Just keep the original idea from the first brand split (which they abandoned right away) and have the world champ on both shows.  Elevate the US and IC belts as show-specific titles instead.

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Please please please don't have two world titles.  Just keep the original idea from the first brand split (which they abandoned right away) and have the world champ on both shows.  Elevate the US and IC belts as show-specific titles instead.

0-1893117.jpg

Joking aside, I'm with you.

• Like 2

I like two world titles. Some of my favorite things of the last ten years was stuff like Christian or Mark Henry as World champ. That doesn't happen with one title. I'm not even sure we get things like the Summer of Punk, 2011 if there's only one title and Randy Orton's still in the picture. Yes, you can sort of accomplish that with the IC or US title too, but it's not really the same. If they're going to do stuff like put the belt on Brock and barely have him defend anyway, there's no reason not to just have a belt for each brand. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I like two world titles. Some of my favorite things of the last ten years was stuff like Christian or Mark Henry as World champ. That doesn't happen with one title. I'm not even sure we get things like the Summer of Punk, 2011 if there's only one title and Randy Orton's still in the picture. Yes, you can sort of accomplish that with the IC or US title too, but it's not really the same. If they're going to do stuff like put the belt on Brock and barely have him defend anyway, there's no reason not to just have a belt for each brand. 

You bring up a good point about two World Titles. The existence of the World Heavyweight Championship meant Rey Mysterio, Jack Swagger, Kane, Dolph Ziggler and Mark Henry had reigns they likely wouldn't have if there was one title.

2 hours ago, Brysynner said:

First off I think the Shane/Stephanie pairing, while not making for great TV is probably good for Stephanie and Shane personally. They both seem to be having fun working on TV together and not having to constantly fight. Babyface Steph is the best Steph IMO.

Also who from the past would have most benefited from a brand split and two world titles? For people like Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase, Mr. Perfect, Razor Ramon and Roddy Piper who never got to hold the WWF Title would they have been the other world champion if WWF had two world titles?

Evil corporate Steph is the worst Steph.  She comes off as fake and the kind of person I would constantly tune out in an office.  

• Like 2

• RIPPA unlocked this topic

For me the biggest questions are (and some have already been mentioned)

Belt Distribution? (already being discussed and I will give a thought in my next post)

Women's roster? 

- basically is the entire women's roster going to be on one show or do they split it again

NXT callups?

• Like 1

Now - in regards to belts.

I think they are leaning towards the creation of new belts (we know one for sure (but technically it is a spoiler) and a women's tag title has basically all been confirmed by multiple reports)

Then they just elevate the US or IC title (which they basically were doing with Cena and Bryan last year)

It especially becomes easier if they keep the women on one roster and tag teams on the others (though that bones the fans)

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I'm hoping Smackdown becomes the wrestling show like it was most famously in the Smackdown Six era of 2002 but also 2003, 2007 and 2009 in comparison to RAW's those years.

I feel like it's a totally different environment right now. I think both shows will be the wrestling shows in some ways. I'd have to look at the roster, but it feels like there is far less dead weight than back in 2002.

• Like 1