DVDVR Message Board

RAW IS SETH ROLLZZzzzzzzz (5/23/16...except the opening which was 5/23/15)

piranesi

7 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

Got through the three-hour Raw in just under an hour and a half.  Completely skipping the promo segments(other than New Day and Enzo/Cass) will do that.

I don't know........

I watch WWE for the storytelling, as bad as it may be at times. If I were going to fast forward through promo segments, I would just watch something with better wrestling. 

5 hours ago, APO said:

You're only allowed to compliment the champion if it's someone "acceptable," apparently.

It's hard to have a conversation about this topic because someone will automatically assume you're telling them who to like.  Which isn't the case.  But that BS works both ways.  I don't need anyone questioning my fandom.  I don't appreciate being berated about my opinions on choreographed fighting. I'm a wrestling fan and overall mark.  We're not going to agree on everything, and it's better that way.  I enjoy a good debate. But I don't go around calling someone stupid if we disagree. 

I'll question your rationale because I'm smart and wonderful and think you should always agree with me because I think I'm always right--but I wouldn't call you stupid if you don't. I'll bless your heart and move along. :)

• Like 2

We're in the era of social media and everyone has a voice, so everyone feels a need to yell their opinions and favorites from the proverbial rooftops.  That inevitably leads to arguments and condemning of entire groups for dumb reasons.  Such is (current) life.

How this stubborn idiot feel about the current wrestling product, quite bluntly, does not matter in the slightest.  It's one opinion amidst a whole bunch of them.  Let things take whatever course they may.

16 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

There are plenty of wrestlers I don't like, but if they receive a compliment, it's not a bad thing.

I'm not anti-Roman, I feel bad for the guy actually.  But much like when Daniel Bryan did it, the way AJ was talking about him sounded forced because it's Roman.   And with that the idea of him being Vince's chosen one is not something I can necessarily overlook, right or wrong.  If you have to do this, fine, but there's better and more natural ways to do it.  Heck, his feud with AJ has been one of the more compelling stories in some time.  But it just seems too much like what Cristobal said.  Why not do that for people other than Roman?  How many feuds just die off after the blowoff with no mention of it?  If there's a heated feud going on and they move on why is there mention of it?  That's why I'm not a fan of AJ doing it as as well as when Daniel did it.

There are plenty of people in wrestling who a fan may just like or not like, regardless of other legitimate factors.  There are some people who TEH INTERNETZ love that I just don't "get".

At the end of the day, people are arguing about which "fake fighters" are "better".

Heck, wrestling isn't exactly a form of show business known for subtlety.  It's the nature of the beast that if someone is that promotion's "guy"(Roman, Cena) or "girl"(Charlotte, Nikki Bella), then they'll push that person down everyone's throats as the greatest.  If that promotion's view doesn't happen to line up with your own, then of course it won't sit well with you.

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

I'm not anti-Roman, I feel bad for the guy actually.  But much like when Daniel Bryan did it, the way AJ was talking about him sounded forced because it's Roman.   And with that the idea of him being Vince's chosen one is not something I can necessarily overlook, right or wrong.  If you have to do this, fine, but there's better and more natural ways to do it.  Heck, his feud with AJ has been one of the more compelling stories in some time.  But it just seems too much like what Cristobal said.  Why not do that for people other than Roman?  How many feuds just die off after the blowoff with no mention of it?  If there's a heated feud going on and they move on why is there mention of it?  That's why I'm not a fan of AJ doing it as as well as when Daniel did it.

How many of those guys get "You can't wrestle!" and/or "You still suck!" chants? I get not liking the character, but that's some real disrespectful shit right there.

You can only really do this sort of thing if it's a face vs. face matchup. A heel is going to make excuses and/or casually move on. A face shouldn't congratulate a dastardly person who used shortcuts to get ahead. 

Cena put Bryan over after SummerSlam.

This argument is so dumb.

For god's sake, even when he was heel touring NWA World champion, Ric Flair would still put over faces in promos as being good wrestlers. I don't see what's so bad about what AJ did outside of "He complimented ROMAN REIGNS...so it's totally forced." It beats the hell out of that HHH "You're just not a very good wrestler" bullshit.

And besides, it was used a lead-in to his next angle.  

3 hours ago, Cristobal said:

And when was the last time they had someone do that for someone who isn't Roman Reigns?

I can recall that one segment where New Day celebrated beating the Lucha Dragons and The Usos, called them out to shake their hands for a good match and put them over as great wrestlers...and then got beatdown for celebrating too much or something.

42 minutes ago, APO said:

How many of those guys get "You can't wrestle!" and/or "You still suck!" chants? I get not liking the character, but that's some real disrespectful shit right there.

I hope you're not implying I was being disrespectful in that.  Chants like that irritate me, especially when chanted to a guy who can wrestle and doesn't suck.

2 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

There are plenty of people in wrestling who a fan may just like or not like, regardless of other legitimate factors.  There are some people who TEH INTERNETZ love that I just don't "get".

At the end of the day, people are arguing about which "fake fighters" are "better".

Heck, wrestling isn't exactly a form of show business known for subtlety.  It's the nature of the beast that if someone is that promotion's "guy"(Roman, Cena) or "girl"(Charlotte, Nikki Bella), then they'll push that person down everyone's throats as the greatest.  If that promotion's view doesn't happen to line up with your own, then of course it won't sit well with you.

When you think about it at its core.  Wrestlers do not like one another yet they drive around the country to arenas cutting promos in hallways and offices of sold out arenas.  Why not just take it out on the guy in public?

They only run into each other in arenas!!!  Never at the hotel or on the road.  They cannot sit down to talk out their differences over a beer or two.

20 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

You can only really do this sort of thing if it's a face vs. face matchup. A heel is going to make excuses and/or casually move on. A face shouldn't congratulate a dastardly person who used shortcuts to get ahead. 

Cena put Bryan over after SummerSlam.

This argument is so dumb.

Good to know that the only face vs face matches that have happened since SummerSlam 3 years ago were Bryan/Reigns and AJ/Reigns. I clearly did not know that. Thusly was my argument dumb.

4 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I can recall that one segment where New Day celebrated beating the Lucha Dragons and The Usos, called them out to shake their hands for a good match and put them over as great wrestlers...and then got beatdown for celebrating too much or something.

...yes, the then-heel New Day disingenuously talking about how good the teams they just beat were, implicitly putting themselves over, is definitely analogous.

2 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

We're in the era of social media and everyone has a voice, so everyone feels a need to yell their opinions and favorites from the proverbial rooftops.  That inevitably leads to arguments and condemning of entire groups for dumb reasons.  Such is (current) life.

How this stubborn idiot feel about the current wrestling product, quite bluntly, does not matter in the slightest.  It's one opinion amidst a whole bunch of them.  Let things take whatever course they may.

People have been fighting about pro wrestling online for 20 years. Smarks will smark, regardless of the "era of social media."

If anything, I'm amazed that it took so long for things like Facebook to exist. Discussion forums had been a thing since the early 90s! 

30 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

When you think about it at its core.  Wrestlers do not like one another yet they drive around the country to arenas cutting promos in hallways and offices of sold out arenas.  Why not just take it out on the guy in public?

They only run into each other in arenas!!!  Never at the hotel or on the road.  They cannot sit down to talk out their differences over a beer or two

It's why the Brock confrontation of Ambrose in the parking garage was good--because he didn't wait for Raw to go on air.  Brock nipped that BS in the bud right there.  Dean had barely gotten out of his car before Lesnar was on him. It was the perfect mix of social media usage combined with 'spontaneous' action.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

....yes, the then-heel New Day disingenuously talking about how good the teams they just beat were, implicitly putting themselves over, is definitely analogous.

Who's to say they were disingenuous? They shook their hands and said the other teams were great. You can blame poor writing, but the whole segment just made the faces look like sore losers to a team that gave them their props.

1 hour ago, The Nature Boy said:

People have been fighting about pro wrestling online for 20 years. Smarks will smark, regardless of the "era of social media."

If anything, I'm amazed that it took so long for things like Facebook to exist. Discussion forums had been a thing since the early 90s! 

bret_hart_aol.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Not keen on the Club ending so soon.

Who says they're ending? One of two things is happening (well I'm assuming logic and reason is at play here). Either Seth hires them and they become the new club/shield or Finn comes up and The Club is reformed and we get Finn/AJ out of it.

Shit, I am not going to front. I am anti-Roman. Not because he is a terrible wrestler because he sure isn't. I do not like his offense. I do not like his character. I do not like how his character is presented or has been presented because him being other than the chosen is an insult to my intelligence. They piggy backed him on Daniel Bryan's struggle against the Authority hoping that he get the DB pop and it was ridiculously transparent. They tried to make him an everyman forgetting that Everymen do not go to the NFL and then use their connections to get in the WWE, another entertainment media. They tried making people who are over and great in the ring give him kudos as if Daniel Bryan has ever given anybody in the WWE kudos in front of a live crowd. His offense is basic as hell and while he has the story telling part down pat, I hate the spear as a finisher for anybody. I hate the superman punch because I know he s doing it wrong and it is hyper-exaggerated and I am waiting for the person who is bright enough to get the idea to simply boot him in face when he jumps in the air. And everything else he does is mediocre, but what makes it worse is that on a roster full of people who do legitimately amazing things in that ring, Roman is set as standard and that rubs me the wrong way.

He is a better heel. He should have been the one Triple H stole from the SHIELD. He should have been touted as the Future of the WWE. He should have been the Authority's go-to guy. Because that would have been honest. That would not have insulted anyone's intelligence because that is exactly what is happening. But they want us to cheer Roman so bad that they intentionally made Seth Rollins heel it up to boo him so they can cheer Reigns.

I get very little of this is Reigns fault, but for the life of me, I don't get it. Why Roman? Everytime I ask that question, I get the obvious answer that he is Vince's choice. That says nothing of his talent or ability. It says very little about him at all. I get that he has the presence as long as you keep his vest on to hide that he is shaped like the Usos. I get that he has the look from chin up. Vince is out of touch. Pure and simple. And he is so used to ignoring reactions from his own audiences that they willingly change the landscape and plot to make it work. He stays the course with stupid and for the life of me, I do not get it. No wrestler is worth that trouble.

The only thing Roman gets from me is my sympathy because for all the things I do not like about him, he does not deserve this shit booking. He does not deserve being booed out of the arena night in and night out because the behind the scenes people can't get a fucking clue.

• Like 5

There's a lot of stuff I agree with in there, but he's in very good shape. When he first signed, yeah, he didn't have a tonne of definition or toned abs but he's in very good shape now.

qfm97znjzcc94g69ukxf.gif

A good guy really ought not to be wearing a protective vest though.

He's shown me that he does get psychology a lot better than I thought he did, but only when wrestling as a (subtle) heel against AJ these past few months. And he really should have a unique finishing stretch rather than kicking out of all your movez and hitting you with a spear on the third attempt. He's bigger than 90% of his competition and stronger, play with that. We don't need everybody doing the John Cena interpretive dance finisher wiggle outs for 3 minutes at the end of every match. I don't think this is something they can eventually overcome with pigheadedness. Just turn the motherfucker heel (which he should've done during the shield's breakup as you mentioned) and go from there. Having JBL do his awfully grating grating spiel about people feeling passionately about him one way or another will only make the people that boo him boo all the more vociferously. 

Remember when D'Lo wore the chest protector and got a ton of heat for being a whiny cheater who used it as a weapon?

I'm just upset that Roman is STILL using The Shield look and music. It's beyond stale at this point and entirely devalues a potential Shield reunion when they all come out to Roman's music

• Like 1

Rollins went to the Authority is becasue HHH wanted his first-ever NXT champion to become his protege in earnest. It's just that simple--IMO and my opinion, as I've stated before, is 100% correct. :)

Here's the thing in all this, and whether they ever go back to it remains to be seen:  HHH said shortly after Rollins' injury that he seriously considered choosing Roman over Seth.  The only thing that stopped him was he didn't think Roman was willing to do anything (lie and cheat) to become champ.  Which means Rollins wasn't his first choice.  It was Reigns.

If they want to play into that, when they do the draft:  have Rollins think he's going to be chosen first--but HHH/Steph go with Reigns.  At first, Rollins thinks it's because Roman is the one holding the belt, but he soon learns NOPE!  They finally have their chance to amend their mistake of going with Seth back in 2014 and choose the guy they wanted all along.  And Rollins vs HHH is set into motion.

There's no reason for a Shield reunion.  Rollins hasn't paid for betraying Ambrose/Reigns.  Reigns isn't looking to forgive the guy, especially now with the WHC on the line.  And I'm certain Ambrose has a rusty fishing knife with Seth's name on it, perfect for gutting.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2016 at 11:37 AM, NickMD said:

I hope you're not implying I was being disrespectful in that.  Chants like that irritate me, especially when chanted to a guy who can wrestle and doesn't suck.

Not at all. Just talking about the crowds that do it.

• Like 1