DVDVR Message Board

RAW IS SETH ROLLZZzzzzzzz (5/23/16...except the opening which was 5/23/15)

piranesi

2 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Beating Jericho ain't winning the World Heavyweight Title. More exactly, getting into Money in the Bank is not winning the World Heavyweight Title. Anyone could get into Money in the Bank.  Zack Ryder was in Money in the Bank. R-Truth was in Money in the Bank. He did not have to face Jericho for the qualifier or he did not even have to enter the qualifier at all and could have done something else like feud with Rusev or something. A loss to Rusev would not hurt Apollo like a loss to Chris Jericho did. If they really wanted Jericho in MiTB, have him beat someone who we expect him to beat like Zack Ryder, or Dolph Ziggler, or Goldust. 

I don't really agree that the loss really hurt Apollo in any meaningful way - Zayn dropped a fall to Jericho around Mania and it was never mentioned again and no one gave a shit. The perception of Jericho on this board isn't really shared outside of it. He could be slotted into the World Title picture with relative ease and it would be believable from a kayfabe standpoint.

It's definitely true that the match shouldn't have booked at all. Crews has only beaten Stardust, Viktor, Breeze, and the Social Outcasts. Why is he even being considered for a MITB qualifier?

54 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not going to lie, this gave me goosebumps.

Why the fuck they don't air these things on Raw is beyond me. Hell, plan it so that they have 2 or 3 minutes after the match ends to send Tom Phillis out there to interview KO about the win. That promo was pure money...if you happened to catch it on YouTube. Why not broadcast it to everyone watching?

Because they want you to watch the YouTube channel.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Why the fuck they don't air these things on Raw is beyond me. Hell, plan it so that they have 2 or 3 minutes after the match ends to send Tom Phillis out there to interview KO about the win. That promo was pure money...if you happened to catch it on YouTube. Why not broadcast it to everyone watching?

Cue Scott Steiner.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Because yelling about being the best and wanting the champ's title is too pro rasslin and we're making movies pal. 

This has been happening for a while, but whoever told the wrestlers to stop promo-ing to the camera should be fired. It looks terribly awkward for someone to be addressing another person directly but just staring into space or looking at Rene Young when they're doing it.

Poor Corbin looked at the camera right before Dolph showed up and look terrified. I miss the old Hogan style promos where you talk directly into the camera when you're addressing the fans or your opponent.

• Like 1

The best part about staring at the camera promos was when a guy would occasionally cut his promo staring off at nothing he looked like a crazy person and I'd always think, "Whoa that guy's opponent's in for some shit."

• Like 4

3 hours ago, caley said:

Was it just me?  Or was that a TERRIBLE crowd tonight?  Like, even the Enzo pop was about 1/5th what I was expecting for his return.  Lots of stuff they missed.  During the promo where AJ put over Reigns, he also said something like "I will beat him again" and the crowd was still booing about what he said previously to notice.  My theory is they were so excited for Seth Rollins that when he turned heel on them, it took the air out of their sails and they never recovered.  But, still they were particularly shitty throughout most of the night and I'm sad that they wasted Enzo's return on that crowd.

Being there live with floor seats I'd have to disagree to a point.  Seth did take the wind out of their sails, but it was just so confusing.  Why they insist on him going heel is beyond me.  It was fine him pointing out the past, but there could have been a way to roll with it without going full heel.  The Enzo pop wasn't super insane, but 1/5?  Nah, man, they were fine.  It was definitely not a wasted return for Enzo as they were definitely into him.  As for the AJ part, that was just weird as hell.  I hate with a passion when somebody like AJ or Bryan puts over Roman as you could tell it was unbelievable.  Yeah, we were pretty annoyed about him doing that so naturally him saying "I will beat him again" didn't register because of that.  I'm not delusional in saying they were a tremendous crowd like Chicago and other big cities can be.  But I've heard much worse from B-more crowds, trust me they were fine.

The Superstars matches had Summer/Natalya and Ryder/Victor.  I don't know why, but they had a mega huge reaction for Natalya (not Enzo level, but close) and they were into everything she did.  For Raw they were into a lot of the stuff save for the Ambrose/Ziggler match and the first half of AJ/Owens.  I've heard dead crowds elsewhere so I just chalked that up to it being a 3 hour show.  The Charlotte segment was weird as hell but effective, at one point the boos were deafening where I couldn't hear what she was saying.  Heck, there was even people near me tearing up a tad because of poor Ric.  As for the Apollo botch, he was trying to kip up to get out the way and I guess lost his footing and fell back.  Jericho was definitely supposed to miss and his leg got him pretty good.  I was looking for the dreaded X but it didn't happen so somehow he was fine.  Not sure why they'd zoom in on that.

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

It's definitely true that the match shouldn't have booked at all. Crews has only beaten Stardust, Viktor, Breeze, and the Social Outcasts. Why is he even being considered for a MITB qualifier?

Because he has the rare combination of power and speed duh.

• Like 3

Nick, the zoom thing I kept beating into the ground was just a dumb reference to how they were apparently switching camera shots for a better (read: zoomy) angle when Crews stared the kip-up, missed the contact, then switched back to nothing.  Meaning that, if Crews had a successful strategy, it would have gotten lost.

Imagine if the same thing would have happened with the end to Orton/Bourne. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NickMD said:

As for the AJ part, that was just weird as hell.  I hate with a passion when somebody like AJ or Bryan puts over Roman as you could tell it was unbelievable.  Yeah, we were pretty annoyed about him doing that so naturally him saying "I will beat him again" didn't register because of that.

Why is it unbelievable?

1. Roman is the WHC.  If you plan to go back after the guy, you don't chump out the competition--especially the dude holding the big belt.

2. Roman and AJ had two great matches at Payback and Extreme Rules that have received high marks across the board.  Both guys deserve recognition for that.

3. With as high-impact as their moves were, either man could have easily gotten hurt.  Neither did, and that's largely in part to both working safe. I'm sure both appreciated that from the other.

4. Styles made Reigns look good, but the reverse is also true.  Maybe Styles is actually appreciative of that?

5. It's not like AJ stood in the ring with a prepared "Roman is the best ever, let me count the ways" monologue.  He complimented the man and then proceeded to say he was going to get back in a spot to beat him again.  So again, why would AJ chump out Roman in that situation?

Styles simply put over Reigns in a neutral manner. Would it have been nice if Reigns had been given the mic to do the same thing?  Sure, and maybe that'll happen down the road.  Reigns put over Styles during their feud, and the reverse also happened.

And being that all of it was designed to set up AJ separating himself from The Club and move him potentially into a new feud, I'm not sure what the problem is.

There are plenty of wrestlers I don't like, but if they receive a compliment, it's not a bad thing.

Making Rollins a heel instead of a tweener is so stupid. Despite the stupid catchphrase, Roman has settled into that ace tweener role pretty nicely. It would've been super easy to recreate the same dynamic Roman and AJ had with Roman and Seth. Plus a Rollins face turn is long overdue, hopefully the sudden coldness between him and Steph is a step in that direction.

Didn't mind Jericho beating Crews too much. Again, that's the level of guy Jericho should be beating before he loses to an Ambrose/AJ level guy. I'm not sure I dig the Sheamus/Crews feud developing. Maybe if it was Sheamus in 2010, but the current version is not only heatless but is approaching peak apathy every time he's on camera. On paper it might seem like a good idea, but I don't think it's likely to help Crews in practice.

The Charlotte segment was good booking even if it went too long. Ric needed to be put back on the shelf for a while. His walk of shame was cheesy-funny.

One thing that seems to be getting overlooked is that AJ and Owens had a really great match. It was about as good of Raw-style match as you could have, which is impressive because every match being laid out the same on Raw for the last couple of years has really limited the number of great matches that happen on the show. They spaced out their moves well, hit all their complex sequences cleanly, and went a little above and beyond to protect AJ with the powerbomb on the steps.

The writing team didn't do AJ any favors by making him do the Daniel Bryan "Hey hardcore fans, I'm one of your favorites and I like Roman Reigns, so you should too" promo then making him sound like an asshole to Gallows and Anderson. It makes sense for people to be disappointed with that, but the silver lining is he's probably got a series of matches with Finn Balor on the horizon.

I like the MITB in lineup a lot thus far. Jericho's the only whatever participant, and he'll just be eating everyone's big moves primarily. You already have two realistic winners with Owens and Ambrose that would make for good storylines eventually. My guess is the last two spots go to Neville, then either AJ in a second-chance multi-man match or Finn.

22 hours ago, EVA said:

I feel like tonight was AJ Styles' first real taste of what it means to be a WWE superstar.

You just more than held up your end of the hottest post-Mania feud in years and made our Guy look like a million bucks...so now we're going to not only break up your over stable, but we're going to have you do it in a way that actually turns you heel with the crowd on accident, and then job you out clean, so you're not even in the big multi-man PPV match coming up!

That is surely the most WWE thing that has ever happened to him.

.Not being in that multi-man match is a good thing...they already view him as someone who doesn't need to win a gimmick match to be title shot worthy. Pretty confident this leads to AJ vs Balor at SummerSlam, which will have the NXT and indie fans soiling their skinny jeans.

This was the worst Raw since Mania. But still better than nearly every Raw for 6-8 months before Mania.

If you don't like Reigns and Rollins, they're doing you a favor. I love when they pair wrestlers I don't like because it's easier to fast forward.

I do like Rollins, but not this stale ass character. And Roman could turn into some Bret Hart/Eddie Guerrero hybrid workrate wise, putting on 10 star matches with broomsticks, and it wouldn't matter. It's the character that's polluted and it can't be fixed by good matches.

Also, AJ had said repeatedly that he was making main roster money between Japan and ROH and so NXT wasn't an option that the WWE had with him. That said, I don't think he expected to be main eventing PPVs and Raw soon, and I'm sure he's loving it. Dude was in TNA for like a million years ffs. 

• Like 1

Apollo Crews biggest problem is he suffers from Bobby Lashley syndrome in the WWE. Perfectly fine in the ring, but he has a character that doesn't do anything. He just shows up, smiles and that's about it. Lashley had the same problem. He showed up he didn't really do anything and that was it. Sure he has a great look, but character wise there's nothing about the guy that says this guy makes me want to watch his matches.

And putting him up against Sheamus....ooofah. That's a guaranteed channel changer. The matches will be fine, but they just won't matter worth a damn.

They should have hyped that Enzo was returning. That was a missed thing to have people buzzing.

9 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Why is it unbelievable?

1. Roman is the WHC.  If you plan to go back after the guy, you don't chump out the competition--especially the dude holding the big belt.

2. Roman and AJ had two great matches at Payback and Extreme Rules that have received high marks across the board.  Both guys deserve recognition for that.

3. With as high-impact as their moves were, either man could have easily gotten hurt.  Neither did, and that's largely in part to both working safe. I'm sure both appreciated that from the other.

4. Styles made Reigns look good, but the reverse is also true.  Maybe Styles is actually appreciative of that?

5. It's not like AJ stood in the ring with a prepared "Roman is the best ever, let me count the ways" monologue.  He complimented the man and then proceeded to say he was going to get back in a spot to beat him again.  So again, why would AJ chump out Roman in that situation?

Styles simply put over Reigns in a neutral manner. Would it have been nice if Reigns had been given the mic to do the same thing?  Sure, and maybe that'll happen down the road.  Reigns put over Styles during their feud, and the reverse also happened.

And being that all of it was designed to set up AJ separating himself from The Club and move him potentially into a new feud, I'm not sure what the problem is.

There are plenty of wrestlers I don't like, but if they receive a compliment, it's not a bad thing.

You're only allowed to compliment the champion if it's someone "acceptable," apparently.

Guess I'm a dick for not thinking Roman is the greatest wrestler of all time, and also for not thinking Nikki Bella is simultaneously the greatest female wrestler ever and the sexist woman in the world.  That's cool.  I'll live with that.  :ph34r:

9 hours ago, Greggulator said:

BOOOOOOO THIS GUY IS SHOWING RESPECT FOR HIS OPPONENT WHO BEAT HIM BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

WWE fans are heels.

And when was the last time they had someone do that for someone who isn't Roman Reigns?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

Guess I'm a dick for not thinking Roman is the greatest wrestler of all time, and also for not thinking Nikki Bella is simultaneously the greatest female wrestler ever and the sexist woman in the world.  That's cool.  I'll live with that.  :ph34r:

That's not why you're a dick 

• Like 1