DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 88: Almeida vs. Garbrandt (5/29/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay Events Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I would say Sterling needed that fight though. Like I said, Caraway fights the entirety of the fight. Instead of taking his time when he got the dominant position in round 1, he put too much pressure on trying to wear Caraway down. I think a lot of bantamweight would have folded under that, but Caraway doesn't usually do that. That's what Sterling is going to encounter in the upper level of bantamweight. It's not going to be everyone, but it will happen more often than not. People are going to fight courageously even in the most dire of situations. Now Sterling knows what is required of him to continue to win in this division.

Almeida got drawn into a firefight where he couldn't slow down the pace to fit his style. Garbrandt's crisp striking did indeed end up making the difference. Got to the target faster and more accurately. By the time Almeida was maybe getting his timing down, Garbrandt already had Almeida's patterns down exact. What Garbrandt was taking wasn't fight ending whereas he was putting everything on Almeida solid. It was just a matter of time.

Garbrandt probably has a better case for a title shot of anyone not named Dillashaw. If he fights on 203 like he wants, a Dodson fight would be great. I will even settle for a fight with Caraway.

Almeida needs to go back to the lab and work on a few things. First, he needs to work on some of the footwork and strength aspects of his game. Since he is so lean, it's easy to get him backing up. If you're not a great defensive fighter in MMA, you have to stop fighters from coming straight at you or tie them up. Tonight, it was like a boxer who got hurt but his instincts tell him to keep throwing. Putting Garbrandt on the cage and using the clinch was his best bet with Garbrandt getting off first. Another thing he has to work on is the defense. If Garbrandt can just land that precisely, dudes like Dillashaw and Cruz can land all night. Gotta move your head and disrupt your opponent. He should also use his kicks more. He made Garbrandt, a former amateur boxer, feel right at home by just exchanging punches. He's a Muay Thai fighter who can only knock dudes out with punches when people fear a whole bunch shit is coming. For whoever Almeida fights next, he has to instill that fear early to show this ain't no recurring thing.

Continually surprised by Rick Story.  Not the prettiest fighter, somewhat deceptively underrated.  Look at his resume.  He went on a big winning streak once with wins over Hendricks and Alves.  Now he's on another streak and beat Gunnar Nelson and Tarec Saffiedine.

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Continually surprised by Rick Story.  Not the prettiest fighter, somewhat deceptively underrated.  Look at his resume.  He went on a big winning streak once with wins over Hendricks and Alves.  Now he's on another streak and beat Gunnar Nelson and Tarec Saffiedine.

Agreed, definitely impressive as of late. That was the hardest one of the night for me to predict and went back and forth on it for awhile.

• Like 1