DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules VIII

Dolfan in NYC

Every star gets cheered after returning from an injury. You dopes hating on Rollins AND hating on the fans for cheering him is mind numbing.  It's a cold world I guess, but I was happy to see him.

Solid show from what I saw.  Sami's best main roster performance and a great main event.  Can't ask for much more than that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't see many people saying that Styles carried Reigns. There was like one guy here on the first two pages. Reigns being really good isn't exactly some fringe opinion here. It is at sites like Wreddit and Cageside Seats, but who cares? The opinions of most of the folks who post at those places are flat-out fucking terrible in general. 

I'm actually seeing more defense of Reigns in Cageside Seats than in here. I was disappointed by that. Wreddit on the other hand is a cesspool.

21 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

DUR HUR HUR EYE DUBYA SEE HOSS BAD MUSSELS BAD NO FLIPPIES BAD DUR HUR HUR.

DUR HUR HUR I HATE ROW MUNN CUZ HE'S BIG AND I LIKE SETH CUZ HE'S LITTUL DUR HUR HUR.

Sure.

Personally, I enjoy mussels. They're great in a cioppino.

• Like 3

This board more than most any other should understand how important character work is in wrestling. Roman Reigns has improved a great deal in the ring. His selling at Payback was great, he's very good at working as a subtle heel (more so at Payback than last night), and both he and AJ should be applauded for their work in telling the slower/power brawler vs. quicker/more adept high flyer story throughout both matches. However, Roman Reigns as a character is the fucking shits and has been since the day The Shield broke up. That's not all on Roman and it's not all on the booking. He's a beautiful, bland man we know nothing about other than he comes from a long line of Samoan wrestlers and that we're supposed to adore him. Because. He's not good enough in the ring to deserve being pushed ahead of the likes of Cesaro, Kevin Owens, or a handful of others that are superior wrestlers. So, what is there? He's one of the least sympathetic babyfaces they've run with. His selling and character work in the Styles feud was so good because it suited him as the big bad bully heel more so than babyface company ace. The only positive thing about his character is now he's at least not being pushed as the underdog having to overcome the odds against the machine, which we all know wants him to look strong in reality. That was some of the most intellectually insulting shit WWE has ever given us. Him just spouting a lame line about being the guy is fucking wretched but it's still easier to swallow than that hot mess of Daniel Bryan mk II was.

How the fuck do you salvage him as a babyface without turning him heel, allowing some of his personality to show, and then turn him back in a year or two? They can try and give him some personality, but it's always come off as incredibly forced. He's a natural heel. And for those arguing that he'd just get cheered by those booing him now if he were to turn heel, there are enough guys he can eat up that that have that same audience's emotional investment that would make him a heel. They've already used up Styles, but who wouldn't want to watch a program between heel Reigns vs. Zayn (I think they'd have better matches than even the Styles series), a subtle/temporary face Owens, Big E or Kofi, Cesaro, and face Bray (talking about tearing down the machine). You could get some great mileage out of those series enough that he could then possibly go back to face if the fans have taken to him.

I don't think they'll pull the trigger for a long while, but I'd be interested in seeing how they handle a Cena vs. Reigns story with things as they are. Compared to Reigns, Cena is a saint to the smark audience. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Most likely the MITB match will have AJ, Ambrose, whoever isn't challenging Miz (of the Cesaro, KO, Zayn group) and then you can just have a couple of folks fill that out (which could be anyone from Cena and Orton to Bray and Jericho).

I am sure they will put Ziggler in it because of course the guy who lost on the kickoff should get a world title shot

I am not sure they would want one of Neville's first matches back to be in MITB

So we've got AJ, Ambrose, KO, Zayn, Kofi, Ziggler and ??????? based on who's likely. I threw Kofi in there because I think there's a rule that if you have a MITB match Kofi Kingston has to be involved, pretty sure it's in his contract.

BTW my reasoning for Neville being in there is he got hurt on such a freak thing that I could see them putting him in a match where he doesn't have to take any major bumps and can reasonably hit his finisher off the ladder. I mean they had Daniel Bryan's like fourth match back from major injury be a ladder match that he won and his injuries were more severe than Neville's. Neville's placement depends on how high Vince is on him and if Vince is still behind the idea that Neville is constantly a guy who is one step away from winning the big one (See Neville vs. Cena and MITB from last year as examples)

Cena and Orton in MitB? Jericho? Will Wyatt be cleared by then? I see AJ being in a triple threat against Rollins/Reigns at MitB, so he wouldn't be in the MitB match itself. Cesaro and Miz will get their one on one at the show, so they're out. Rusev is the US champ, so he's out.

Could be Jericho/Ambrose/Cena/Orton/Zayn/Owens/Sheamus/del Rio in MitB.

8 hours ago, offspring515 said:

I don't understand people complaining about the finish of the main event.  Roman dominated about 75% of the offense during the match.  AJ took a powerbomb and backdrop through a table, spear on the floor, multiple Superman punches.  If anything it took too much for Reigns to take him out. The idea that it was some sort of out of nowhere finish where a completely healthy AJ was made to look bad is utterly baffling.

I agree with you but at the same time Reigns has now far surpassed Cena in the "what the fuck does it take to pin this guy" department.  It's bordering on the ridiculous.

• Like 1

So,ummm AJ is in the running for WWEs MVP of 2016 right? Made Reigns look like a monster. Reigns took his fair share too. 

AJ v Seth for #1 contender with Owens taking MITB seems ok to me.

EDIT; AJ was actually well protected on 2nd viewing

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, but Rollins does a lot of flips and kewl movez at a mile a minute, which makes him a great wrestler, so his push is okay, unlike Reigns, who lets things breathe and is a hoss, and thus is a bad wrestler.

Nobody said that shit on here. Both are great at what they do and yes Seth's style is pretty damn awesome when he's facing a guy who is the complete opposite. The segments between Brock and Seth were all tremendous. The issue was that Seth ended up getting next to no offense in the one on one.

A lot of people like multiple styles of wrestling. Imagine that.

8 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The GUY promo: 60 seconds

The MAN promo: 20 minutes

Sorry, but Rollins' HHH tribute act is awful.

Nobody should be out there for 20 minutes unless it's The Rock. I gotta disagree with "THE GUY" promos only being 60 seconds. If you combine the entrance, the standing around, the staring and whoever interrupts him, it's usually 15-20 minutes of painful television.

• Like 3

Giving Raw the benefit of the doubt  before I watch it, but surely Rollins costing Styles the match and then laying out Reigns is the better result?

Puts Rollins over as a legitimate contender. Gives Styles an excuse for losing. Gives Styles and Rollins something to do before blowing off both title programs. Instead you kinda just skip over AJ and go straight into Rollins/Reigns.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nobody said that shit on here. Both are great at what they do and yes Seth's style is pretty damn awesome when he's facing a guy who is the complete opposite. The segments between Brock and Seth were all tremendous. The issue was that Seth ended up getting next to no offense in the one on one.

A lot of people like multiple styles of wrestling. Imagine that.

I'm not talking about here, bud. I'm talking about the typical people in the crowd...and I know that's how they (and by "they," I mean the typical male twenty- and thirty-somethings) think because I go to these shows and unfortunately hear them.

I like multiple styles of wrestling. I just like them done, you know, not like shit. And no, that Brock/Seth shit was garbage, second only to the Cena Summerslam match which was abjectly fucking terrible. 

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nobody should be out there for 20 minutes unless it's The Rock. I gotta disagree with "THE GUY" promos only being 60 seconds. If you combine the entrance, the standing around, the staring and whoever interrupts him, it's usually 15-20 minutes of painful television.

At least Reigns isn't prattling in a nasally drone ad nauseum for the whole time.  I'm not defending Roman so much as saying Rollins is a chore to listen to.

I'd like Ambrose to win the MITB and have Seth chase Roman to SummerSlam leading to a tease on the Sheild triple threat. Does Ambrose cash in on the best friend he hasn't hung out with in a while? Is he still pissed at Rollins? Is he going to hunt Rollins down again? Would a lunatic like Ambrose wait for 'the right moment' or will he just make the match a triple threat right off the bat?

Styles can find some back up to fight the Balor Club. Would be an amazing way to debut Samoa Joe on the main roster.

Cena vs Rusev

Sami vs Owens finally one on one.

There's plenty to work with.

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

At least Reigns isn't prattling in a nasally drone ad nauseum for the whole time.  I'm not defending Roman so much as saying Rollins is a chore to listen to.

Neither one is particularly high on my list of guys I want to hear promos from, but I like Seth better in the ring. I look forward to his matches without Authority shenanigans to bring them down. 

Just saw this.

It was a ton of fun.

I DESPISE how face Reigns works. Cena, Rock, Austin, Hogan - none of them ever worked that squeaky clean, and those were dudes that the crowd wanted to win.

There has never been as ridiculous a DVDVR trope as the Rollins hate. Hunter and Steph have been sabotaging title reigns since Jericho's first run but somehow this speaks ill of Rollins.

But the main takeaway is - 

NUMCHUCKS. Fucking NUMCHUCKS. Wanted to cut all three of their fucking tongues out of their mouths and throw them in a fucking fire like I was making somebody the one true king.

• Like 4