DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules VIII

Dolfan in NYC

Yay Seth!

Well... the IC 4 way was awesome.

And the rest...  well yeah.

The finish of that WHC match though was abjectly stupid.  AJ spams 10+ chairshots and Roman hits a finisher for the win.  Lord, I just cant.

RIP Emma

I made an uncomfortable laugh/groan noise during like five spots in the main event. That shit was reckless. 

People popped for Seth holding the belt like they don't remember what a Seth title reign looks like.  

• Like 1

This was a weird show in that the matches were mostly very good, but there are so many acts who I don't care about because they are long in the tooth (examples: The Usos, Natalya, Jericho, The Miz [and Maryse has never done anything for me and doesn't help freshen him up]) that brought down my enjoyment of some of these matches. I think Rusev/Kalisto has an argument for best match of the night because man, Kalisto trying to fight from underneath while Rusev found new and interesting ways to destroy his back was just really, really good.  That WWE-style F4Way was about the most that they can get out of that particular formula, and they should abandon the "two guys lay around/multiple two-count cutoffs" formula from here on out. It was really good, but hindered by being of that very formula. 

The Reigns/AJ match didn't need to be Extreme Rules, and I would prefer a straight up match with no funny business, but Styles bumping as if he were tired of life itself was pretty fucking amazing. Reigns was trying to keep up in that department  and splatted himself pretty good on that whiffed spear outside. Idiots in the crowd: Reigns can, in fact, wrestle, and very well, too! Though, now that I consider it, poor Reigns was either sabotaged by the audio manipulation in the truck or the crowd is even somewhat tired of booing him because the dudes in the crowd were kinda silent at times as Reigns came out and as he wrestled. The finish was, uh, deflating in the sense that it came a bit out of nowhere for me. These guys just need to do a straight up match sometime soon with no crowd brawling or run-ins. That's what I want to see. 

Then Seth Rollins came out and did a shitty Pedigree and made stupid faces and oh please please don't make me watch a Reigns and Rollins feud maybe I should quit these PPVs for awhile oh nooooooooooo

Fuck yeah, Seth Rollins is back. And that's a badass t-shirt, I'm buying it as soon as it's on WWEShop.

Rest of the show was whatever, the rumor of Rollins returning was the only reason I even turned on the Network tonight. So, I'm happy.

• Like 1

The four-way & main event were easily the highlights. Reigns and Styles were sort of insane for the crap they did to each other. Also Reigns' splash mountain was the most awesome thing ever and should be a new finisher for him.

• Like 1

Thought Reigns-Styles was FANTASTIC. AJ just flung himself all over the place, Reigns kept up with him all the way, the interference from the Usos and Anderson/Gallows was really well done and added lots to the drama, and down the finishing stretch I really bought a bunch of Styles' near falls. My heart was pounding heart with all the tension. I reckon internet favourite vs. internet villain is probably the most compelling in ring story WWE tells these days? 

• Like 1

I wish the Miz didn't retain the IC title. Sami/KO don't need the title for their feud, but I don't see not pulling the trigger and putting the title on Cesaro.

The Vaudevillains ring jackets and Aiden's hat were beyond awesome. I fear they get lost in the shuffle after losing to the tag champs already. 

Dana Brooke will make a good sidekick for Charlotte, eventhough I don't think she's ready for the main roster. 

I hated the finish of AJ/Roman. One spear? Fuck you Roman. Welcome back Seth!

Two potential MOTY candidates on a non-"Big 4" show, in the IC title match, and the main event. I actually thought this Roman-AJ match was better than their Payback match. 

Oh, and Dana Brooke is a tremendous heel. Sucks that Emma had to lose that spot, though.

Usos/Club was pretty forgettable.  Neither team really does anything for me but the match wasn't actively bad.

Kalisto/Russev was really good.  Kalisto is good at being the underdog and Russev is good as a base for smaller fliers, so they really clicked here.  Hopefully Russev doesn't just drop the belt back to Cena next week.

Tag titles match was decent enough and they've done well making the Vaudevillians look like a credible team and not just a couple of jobbers so far.

The 4 way was on fire for a while and would have been even better if anyone other than Miz would have won.  They've got a really good opportunity to elevate the belt and make it the center of a really hot feud, and Miz holding it does no favors at all for anyone or anything.

Cage match pretty much killed the crowd and was an absolute snoozefest.  It just wouldn't end.

Nattie/Charlotte was another match that was decent up until the bullshit finish.  Distraction finishes are being overkilled on Raw and there's no excuse for them at a PPV, especially when it's in a match with a lot of buildup and being presented as important.

Main event dragged in places, but Styles' insane bumping was fun to watch and I feel sorry for the state of his tailbone right now.  Yet again, what could have been a decent match was let down with a piss poor ending.  Anderson and Gallows get taken out easily and Roman kicks out of countless chair-assisted finishers only to win with a single spear?  This was some HHH at mania level finisher killing.

Fatal four way was awesome - the opening match Helluva Kick and looks of surprise between Cesaro, Miz, and Zayn is maybe my favorite thing in wrestling in a long time.  Definitely want to rewatch.

The main I liked a lot, but boy it sure seems worthwhile to mention that AJ Styles is closing in on being 40 goddamn years old with a ton of mileage on him.  Some of that shit he took was just absurd.  Finish was definitely anti-climactic, and the Usos should really never be in the proximity of a main event again.

That said, the Usos/Club tag was some fun, heated stuff to kick things off.  Charlotte/Nattie even did a good job of bringing the hate a bit, before the ridiculous finish anyway.  Rusev/Kalisto was real good as well, with a pretty balanced power vs speed dynamic that made a good story out of what was really a foregone conclusion.

IC Title match was incredible, and an early match of the year contender - easily the best match on this show. Main event was hurt by the Usos interference no-selling the earlier stuff, but was great overall. Loved the table bumps since AJ takes the best announce table bumps ever, and looked great in losing to Roman. Seth's return was a nice surprise, and I like that they've given him a new far less Billy and Chuck-style logo now with the anarchy vibe to it.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/05/wwe-extreme-rules-2016.html

Screens -

f4ad93485326957.jpg

a2923b485347686.jpg

9d530c485347703.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/vmi7srqay1tnc4skkc8r054pkxj3grpc/2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With Ric Flair, you're never really quite sure who might be his offspring.

I was just thinking that when they inevitably breakup, the angle needs to be a question of paternity and which of his daughers Ric loves more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

Fuck yeah, Seth Rollins is back. And that's a badass t-shirt, I'm buying it as soon as it's on WWEShop.

Seth Rollins was the Zodiac Killer all along.

Edit: Gah, Nice Guy Eddie beats me to the punch!

8 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Cage match pretty much killed the crowd and was an absolute snoozefest.  It just wouldn't end.

Seriously.  I guess someone thought these are two guys the crowd likes, they'll do some fun gimmicky stuff with the weapons, but holy shit did they give that thing way too much time.

Edited by Cyanide
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I was never a fan of Rollins' title reign because he came off as a total pussy the entire time, but for those two minutes tonight, he looked like a pissed-off badass.  For his sake, I hope he stays that way.

There may be hope now that we don't have The Authority as the top heels. It needs to be about Seth proving he never actually needed anybody. 

1 minute ago, Stevie Ray Von Erich said:

When Cole and JBL mentioned that Jericho had been in every WWE match type I spent the rest of the match thinking of all the kinds of matches he's never had.

Unless I missed that Jericho Punjabi Prison match.

or that Jericho hogpen match and his bra & panties match

• Like 2

I'm probably the only one, but I still want to see Rollins/HHH sometime. People were going on and on about how Reigns & HHH's story needed closure around 'Mania, but I think this is the story that's been brewing longer and was sadly cut short due to Rollins' injury last year.

• Like 2