DVDVR Message Board

Everyone Suddenly Cares About Cody Rhodes...

Cody said on a Jericho podcast that he knew what he needed/had to do if he wanted to get to that next level, but it was said in a way that gave the impression he didn't care much.  I'm not surprised he asked for his release.

I look at it like this if you want to get to that Main Event level. 

If you don't have a Main Event Body (Batista) then you better have a Main Event Personality (Bryan/Punk). 

I really don't think Cody had either.

Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn do not have Main Event bodies that the WWE long pushed... but they have the the personality that puts them on that Austin level of connectivity with the fans.

Cody is just a mid card guy who should have been The Miz.

Cody is one of those guys who was toolsy as hell but all of the pieces never seemed to come together. The Dashing and Stardust gimmicks both started out promising but went on for too long without any satisfying progression.

i think we've all seen too many pointless stardust matches and could use a break. My guess is he feels the same way.

14 hours ago, offspring515 said:

I seem to remember WWE supposedly offered him the chance to go back to being Cody after Dusty died but he wanted to stick with being Stardust.  Obviously that was all hearsay and you could be right.

Not hearsay. He talked about it on Twitter after Dusty's death:

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0715/598314/cody-rhodes-addresses-stardust-critics/

Rhodes took to Twitter Tuesday afternoon to address the situation, saying on his protected account, "Troubled seeing some people think I'd allow or be comfortable w/the worst thing that's ever happened to me be exploited on TV for a 'return.'"

And that is the behind the scenes story I want to know. Who wasn't on board for Cody vs Golddust. Cause it seams like both guys wanted it and WWE at different times. So I guess it might just go simply down to not all the parts being ready at the same time.

Why would a non compete even really matter in today's market? TNA is pretty much in ruins now, ROH isn't a threat and Japan isn't something that would threaten the E regardless. Even LU is shot in a manner that Cody's non-compete wouldn't be a problem. 

Cody belongs on the CW playing a long lost Winchester brother or a menacing former boarding school mate of Oliver Queen. I think steady work in Hollywood is totally achievable for him. 

From what the older tweet suggests, he was offered the opportunity to go back to being Cody after Dusty's death but declined, only to come back to the writers later and say that he wanted to be Cody again?  Or maybe the original idea was them to use Dusty's death as some sort of angle and that's why he declined?  His grievances about not wanting to do a gimmick he was tired of are more than reasonable, but he never had world title level ability.