DVDVR Message Board

Everyone Suddenly Cares About Cody Rhodes...

By the way, I don't recall seeing on Raw, SD, or PPV many of the promos cut by Cody that I saw on YouTube. I'm guessing they were on the app. You want to talk about burying talent, well I think this qualifies. I didn't think about getting buried like this before, where you're not buried in the traditional sense, you're just hidden on the app, or YouTube, or pre-shows, or whatever. I wonder how much other good shit I've missed because I never bother looking at ALL of the WWE app stuff, YouTube stuff, and pre-show stuff. It's already difficult enough to keep up with 3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of SD, an hour of NXT, and then PPVs.

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

By the way, I don't recall seeing on Raw, SD, or PPV many of the promos cut by Cody that I saw on YouTube. I'm guessing they were on the app. You want to talk about burying talent, well I think this qualifies. I didn't think about getting buried like this before, where you're not buried in the traditional sense, you're just hidden on the app, or YouTube, or pre-shows, or whatever. I wonder how much other good shit I've missed because I never bother looking at ALL of the WWE app stuff, YouTube stuff, and pre-show stuff. It's already difficult enough to keep up with 3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of SD, an hour of NXT, and then PPVs.

The stuff on the app is only smoke and mirrors.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

His lisp virtually guarantees that he won't be offered any serious acting roles. 

His lisp is nowhere near as bad as Renee Young's, which no one ever talks about.

Dunno, think he sounded fine.  Not saying he should go for the acting thing.  

I liked Cody because he always went all in on whatever he was given.  He clearly worked hard to get whatever he was given over.

Who gives a shit about main event personalities?  Does Roman Reigns have a main event personality?  I like JBL, but I never once believed he had a main event personality or a main event body either.  What about Sheamus?

My point is this, it truly doesn't take having a main event level personality to be a main eventer.  

• Like 3

On 5/21/2016 at 9:29 PM, (BP) said:

I like Cody, but he had a bad match with Cena during the US title challenge series when Cena was having good matches with everyone. They really should've just ran with the Rhodes brothers team until the wheels fell off. Dustin can still go and Cody was becoming a great hot tag. 

I'm down with this, that little period with Dusty and Dustin against the Shield was brilliant, may have to rewatch it sometime soon. 

Question for all of the people who think Cody was a main eventer that never got a shot: What was his best singles match? I'm not trolling, I'm trying to think of a great performance from him that didn't involve goldust or the money in the bank multiman clusterfuck. Anyone want to point me to something to watch so I can see where people are coming from?

1 hour ago, JRGoldman said:

Question for all of the people who think Cody was a main eventer that never got a shot: What was his best singles match? I'm not trolling, I'm trying to think of a great performance from him that didn't involve goldust or the money in the bank multiman clusterfuck. Anyone want to point me to something to watch so I can see where people are coming from?

Probably something involving Rey Mysterio.....Jr.

Cody really does seem to be the embodiment of "creative has nothing for you."  On the one hand, he probably does deserve something better than playing a cartoon character in the lower midcard.  On the other hand, he tried his hand at a couple different serious characters and didn't get traction. He doesn't really fit in with the 2016 WWE.  Not a terrible worker, but not a standout either.  Probably a little better than average as a promo guy.  Average look.  He's a guy who does a lot of things well, but not exceptionally well.  On the current roster, though, there are plenty of guys who do the things he does well even better.  If Vince or Triple H saw a better role for him, they would have probably told him so.  They'll need as many decent hands as they can round up once the brand split begins.

I think the way Cody Rhodes handled this is commendable.  Told them what he wanted, got told no, peaced out.  Way better than sticking around and doing the passive aggressive or whine to the internet approach like way too many do.

Look how he put all the Bucks but Bunkhouse.  He knows his daddy ain't around to save him from The Stud Stable.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Stu "Wade Barrett" Bennett's response was even better, since there was only one name on his list: Papa Shango...

That is wonderful.

Also, I would move Shibata to the bottom of his list.  Because that sounds like suicide.

The whole Cody deal consists of three parts:

1. Wishful thinking that there's actually something there that the WWE has kept from developing into its full potential. There isn't. This ties into part 2:

2. Good feelings for his old man and his brother, thus the "hope the guy does well" thing.

3. Everyone loves the leap of faith involved in giving up a job because it doesn't make you happy, but few are actually willing to do it themselves. So when someone else does it, it's "you go, boy."

And you need a main event "something" (personality, charisma, character, something) to be a main eventer. JBL's personality and character wasn't quite strong enough, so they covered for him by putting him in the ring with people the fans cared greatly about. No one's ever thought Sheamus was even close to JBL's level, much less main-event level. Sheamus is devoid of charisma and his character for the longest time was "he's really pale." Reigns may have the charisma, but hasn't been allowed to show it properly yet - jury's still out - I think he needs a heel run as a solo act, maybe with a mouthpiece. If Cody Rhodes had IT, he would've shown IT by now, even in his limited role.

• Like 1

I'm happy to see anyone motivated to go out there and prove people wrong. I just think that purely in-ring, a lot of guys in his position have shown me more with less opportunity.

Here's his best stuff from the C-Shows this year:

vs Jack Swagger (Main Event #170)
vs Zack Ryder (Superstars #356 & #371, Main Event #179)
vs Dolph Ziggler (Main Event #188)

So, who has IT? I think there's two guys on the main roster who have that something it takes to be main eventers (not Stone Cold/Rock-level guys, but solid players at the top): Owens and Ambrose. They've been Held Down by the Man, but aren't lost yet.

Jury's still out on Reigns and Zayn. Zayn just needs more time to cook, to see if he can be great with a multitude of opponents and feuds. I love Enzo and Cass, but it's too soon to say yes on either guy, also.

I firmly reserve the right to have forgotten someone. I didn't forget Styles. Good worker, no "IT" factor. Being a good worker may be enough to keep him high in the mix, though. EDIT: Gotta count Brock. I guess you have to count HHH, but I'd rather not count either for the purpose of this discussion.

I just don't see Cody as deserving to rise above the midcard.   He's perfectly fine and acceptable, but is he really on the whole any better careerwise than pre-TNA Jeff Jarrett?

He just seems to be a modern day Jarrett (jack of all trades, master of none, average at best athleticism)

1 hour ago, jstout said:

No one's ever thought Sheamus was even close to JBL's level, much less main-event level. Sheamus is devoid of charisma and his character for the longest time was "he's really pale." 

I think the biggest thing that got Sheamus where he is, is people like him.  You'd think he would be the kind of guy who Daniel Bryan wouldn't have much use for (Big hoss, pushed hard etc.) and Bryan LOVES him.  He goes on about how great Sheamus was, how much fun he was to work with, how disappointed he and Sheamus both were when they cut their match down to seconds at WM because they thought they had a really good match in them.