DVDVR Message Board

Everyone Suddenly Cares About Cody Rhodes...

Maybe I'm just an abnormally large Cody Rhodes fan but I really think he could have worked in a main event role? He was a fine wrestler, a really good actor by WWE's standards, he tried his hand at a wide variety of characters and was convincing in pretty much all of them, and it certainly doesn't hurt that he's a good looking young man as well. You could even say he's DASHING hahaha. I was rewatching his and Goldust's matches with the Shield from late 2013 last week and it's some of the most emotional pro wrestling in recent WWE history. It's still quite moving even now. Certainly guys have had decent main event runs with less about them than Cody has. It would have been great to see him get a proper chance at least. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

On the bright side: We're one Randy Orton wellness violation away from a Legacy reunion on the indies.

I think we're one Randy Orton wellness violation away from them changing how many wellness violations it takes for them to fire you if your name is Randy Orton.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Maybe I'm just an abnormally large Cody Rhodes fan but I really think he could have worked in a main event role? He was a fine wrestler, a really good actor by WWE's standards, he tried his hand at a wide variety of characters and was convincing in pretty much all of them, and it certainly doesn't hurt that he's a good looking young man as well. You could even say he's DASHING hahaha. I was rewatching his and Goldust's matches with the Shield from late 2013 last week and it's some of the most emotional pro wrestling in recent WWE history. It's still quite moving even now. Certainly guys have had decent main event runs with less about them than Cody has. It would have been great to see him get a proper chance at least. 

He knew how to work the ring apron as a heel.  The 'dust brothers had some stellar tag team work.  Very few guys can work the heel half of the ring.  I am talking about playing to the crowd from the apron, using a tag and first move to draw heat, and taking cheap shots outside the ring.

That is a lost art in wrestling today.

I think Cody knows he ain't Hamlet, but he feels like he should at least be Laertes, Polonius, Horatio, hell even the Player King...but after a decade he's relegated to playing Marcellus and jerking the curtain with Barnardo and Francisco, and he's quitting this company to go find some company that'll let him play Lear as a dystopian 23rd century warlord or something...

• Like 8

On the radio show - Meltzer explained that the split was not amicable and while the WWE put out the blurb that he was "released", because Cody quit on his contract, while he doesn't have to work for them, they still have him under contract and he can't work for anyone else until his contract runs out (or they come to an agreement)

It is similar to when Daniel Bryan quit because they wouldn't clear him where they said "Sure you can quit but the terms of your contract mean you can't work anywhere else" which is partly why Bryan was in limbo for so long.

I give credit to HHH and Vince for at least telling the guy he wasn't going anywhere.  They could have strung him along and fed him bullshit for years.  I guess Cody is okay, but I don;t think he would have went anywhere without being related to his dad.  Either way, it was his choice, so good luck to him.  

Just going through YouTube and watching clips of Cody makes me think they missed a big opportunity with Cody. He cuts such an awesome promo and they let the guy go to waste.

• Like 2

Cody feels like a guy who could have been bigger in the territory days, perhaps in Mid-Atlantic where tag teams were the main event.

I myself have always seen him as a "solid hand" sort of guy. Not deserving of being a complete jobber like Stardust has been mostly, but not someone who is a botched PPV main eventer or anything like that.

I think I always just saw him as a modern-day Tito Santana. Someone who could put on a great match, be someone the fans could get behind, but in the end ceiling is IC or Tag Team Title-level.

That said, if leaving WWE (and/or wrestling completely) makes him happier, more power to him.

So Cody can't actually wrestle anywhere but I have a strange feeling his contract would be up sooner than we think anyway. So my guess is he will bide his time appearing on a couple of shows the CW and then by next year when the shows are back on their end of season hiatus, he will take a trip to Japan for a spell. Of course his contract could be up even sooner than that and he could be the third man in the Anti-WWE EVOLVE group.

Here's my problem with the WWE non-compete clause for guys like Cody who are told they're just bit players who will never be more than a lower mid-card guy. What company is really competing with WWE at this point? TNA's barely paying anyone on time, ROH is still not full touring company going all over the US or able to compete with WWE, LU is a sporadic TV show with no touring, NJPW barely has a foothold in the US even with NJPW World and their work with ROH. Also if Cody is not that important to you, what does it matter if he goes elsewhere. You weren't planning on making money with him anyway so why not let him try and make money elsewhere. If you are as smart as you think you are, then Cody won't make money elsewhere because he's not as good as he thinks he is. If he does succeed outside of WWE, then you can bring him back and make even more money with him because he's now proven he can make money and you let him leave to try and make more money. He's a wrestler, he is going to want to make the most money he can in WWE.

Cody Rhodes is 30 years old. He's probably got another 10-15 years in him as an active wrestler, I'm sure he'll be fine doing guest appearances on Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow/Supergirl while making occasionally indy spot shows / conventions for autographs and photo-ops

I debated on posting this here from another group but I think it is worth discussing when it comes to Cody.

" He was at an event at XXXXX a couple of years ago with Golddust Roman Reigns and Dean. Dean barely smiled at fans Roman looked overwhelmed. Cody never broke character as Stardust made every kid feel special and let every fan touch his belt. It was one of the greatest pro wrestling thing I've ever seen. Out of the three he was the one working the hardest. I thought to myself how much better he is at this than Roman and Dean. It's a shame it came to this. "

• Like 2