DVDVR Message Board

"Where it went wrong for..."

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Where did it go wrong for Alex Riley?

The crowd reacted pretty well to his split from The Miz but Riley was ultimately bit by his own limitations and injuries, I suppose. When he moved into the commentary role, he should've stayed there because while he was also pretty bad at that, it was still better than watching him wrestle. 

22 hours ago, Sublime said:

Edge's promo after he won KotR about not "Billy Gunn-ing" it really put an end to all hope for Gunn a few years later.

I remember Gunn also had a match with Benoit at Armageddon 00 that I think was supposed to be some sort of test to see if he could hang with a workrate guy. Seemed like he blew up pretty early in the match and Benoit ended up having to take most of the match and it made Gunn look pretty bad character-wise.

Also, there was a story that he was supposed to win the IC title at RR 99 but got hammered the night before and showed up to the arena super hungover. They changed the finish to Shamrock making him tap like a bitch.

The mythical Tom Magee. He supposedly had a good match with Riki Choshu, in Japan, and that legendary holy grail of unseen matches with Bret Hart in the WWF. Unfortunately, he was a flop when he debuted on house shows against opponents who couldn't carry him, and that was that. 

7 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Gunn also had a match with Benoit at Armageddon 00 that I think was supposed to be some sort of test to see if he could hang with a workrate guy. Seemed like he blew up pretty early in the match and Benoit ended up having to take most of the match and it made Gunn look pretty bad character-wise.

IIRC, Gunn nearly dropped Benoit on his head with a gorilla press. 

If Matt Hardy knocks this one out the park, he's a Main Eventer. If he just makes solid contact he's in the upper mid-card mix for a while. Even if he strikes out at least he's got a solid buzz-worthy feud going on. Instead he Danny Tartabull'd the ball off his foot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Didn't Tyler Reks freak out on a plane or something like that?

Yep. He claimed there was something wrong with the engine. And he knew this because he was a pilot. He demanded to be let off the plane and suggested that others should follow him. It did not endear him to anyone.

41 minutes ago, Skeeball Wizard said:

Yep. He claimed there was something wrong with the engine. And he knew this because he was a pilot. He demanded to be let off the plane and suggested that others should follow him. It did not endear him to anyone.

Reks, in fact was not a pilot, but did just watch Final Destination...and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. 

13 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Didn't Tyler Reks freak out on a plane or something like that?

He took aviation classes and felt something was wrong with the wing of the plane and wanted to talk to the pilot. The flight attendant made things worse.  The full story was from Tyler's shoot.  It's on Highspots roku channel.    Also Tyler did his finisher at that Bragging Rights show and Cena flipped out on him saying it was too close to the FU.   Tyler's shoot was way more interesting than I imagined it would be.

I really enjoyed Cole needling guys trying to cut promos and breaking their balls when their answers weren't elaborate enough. I guess Vince did too since we were saddled with evil Cole for two years. 

1 hour ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

NXT season 1 and 2 were so fun.  The good old days when WWE took the future of their company, put them on TV, gave them horrible ring names, made them do unflattering challenges, and openly shit all over them.  I'd say a lot of guys had their moments their.  

They salvaged the S1 guys with the Nexus angle, but McGillicutty and Cottonwood both had on-screen career deaths in S2. Kaval had a couple embarrassing moments as well, but his attitude backstage did him in more than anything on tv.

• Like 1

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 8:45 AM, cwoy2j said:

Also, there was a story that he was supposed to win the IC title at RR 99 but got hammered the night before and showed up to the arena super hungover. They changed the finish to Shamrock making him tap like a bitch.

I remember prior to the match, they were billing Gunn as "The One" trying to get away from the Mr. Ass stuff Benoit said something like "The One Billy Gunn?  I don't even know what that means" and the moment when you're getting put in your place - on the microphone! - by Chris Benoit is the moment you're pretty much done.  Though he wasn't really.  That run with Billy and Chuck was probably the best thing he ever did in WWE before WWE chickened out on it.

• Like 1