DVDVR Message Board

"Where it went wrong for..."

So, in this discussion I wanted to talk about guys who were promising and then were torpedoed, pointing to a single moment where their push went south. I will give you an example;

Brodus Clay was built for months as a monster babyface. Meanwhile, Big Show is being heated up as a "Bully" with his "ironclad contract." He picks on people smaller than him, and Clay stands up to him. The whole show builds to the match between Clay and Big Show and Show hits him with the KO punch and wipes the floor with him. Clay never recovered his credibility, and was gone less than two years later. 

What y'all got?

Drew McIntyre being touted as the future of the business by Vince McMahon himself on live television...and then mostly nothing, after that very moment Vince put him over.

Dr. Death getting KOd by Bart Gunn in a worked-shoot that didn't work.

Quick edit: Marty posted as I was typing this!

Drew MacIntyre was straight-up given the work/shoot gimmick of being Vince McMahon's "chosen one."  I remember he was even in the WWE All Stars vdeo game, which was definitely weird as he hadn't done much in his career at all by then.  Then he had a very big, very public fight with Taryn Terrell (his the fiancee) and all that "chosen one" stuff was gone.  Job duty, some NXT, then 3MB, then he was out of the company.  Now he bores us to death on the indies working big guy/little guy matches strictly out of necessity because he just happens to be bigger than most indy guys.

17 minutes ago, Sublime said:

kennedy-1.jpg

Ha!  It had gone wrong for Kennedy long before that.  Multiple times.  I mentioned this in another thread recently, but I remember when he was set to cash in MitB and win the title but he got spooked by a deep muscle bruise that he thought was a tricep tear, told the company he was injured and lost his spot and push, only to realize the injury wasn't that bad.  What a goof.  Wasn't he also supposed to have been the illegitimate McMahon son but got suspended or injured? 

Later, he got on the wrong side of Cena and Orton, politically-speaking, then almost injured Orton in a match, and was sent to TNA as punishment.

I swear he has a black cloud following him.  He's the Scott the Engineer of wrestling.  Holy shit, look at this recent pic.  Damn son.

230px-Mr_Anderson_BFG_2015.jpg

• Like 4

A week or two after this, the "Bryan sucks" chants started for the first time. It was one thing for Bryan to maybe not rush the ring against the Authority or to get beat up every week but keep trying. It's another for him to run away.

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

zack-ryder-cant-change-a-tire.jpg?qualit

I remember someone tweeting him a few weeks later taht if he'd taken auto shop instead of show choir in high school, he'd still be US champ. Thought that was funny...

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Didn't Swagger fall asleep backstage before a show when he was champ, and that was that for him? 

I thought it was him getting busted for weed? Which the same could be said for RVD. 

6 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

hqdefault.jpg

Ugh, this was the first to come to my mind. Even if it was more backstage politic related in the end, regardless of being one minor mishap this felt like the beginning of the end and another chance was never given. Most around here didn't like him, but he will always be one of my biggest "wish he got to be a top guy" picks.

Cesaro was ready to be a bigtime babyface. The swing was over huge. He wins the inaugural Andre Battle Royal. Then.. 

raw-040714-heyman2.jpg

Months of Heyman promos putting over.....  Brock Lesnar ending the streak? 

Cesaro is in a good place now but gee whiz..  He could have been a top guy by now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Quick edit: Marty posted as I was typing this!

Drew MacIntyre was straight-up given the work/shoot gimmick of being Vince McMahon's "chosen one."  I remember he was even in the WWE All Stars vdeo game, which was definitely weird as he hadn't done much in his career at all by then.  Then he had a very big, very public fight with Taryn Terrell (his the fiancee) and all that "chosen one" stuff was gone.  Job duty, some NXT, then 3MB, then he was out of the company.  Now he bores us to death on the indies working big guy/little guy matches strictly out of necessity because he just happens to be bigger than most indy guys.

Similar for McIntyre- Bragging Rights may have been the PPV built around "where it all went wrong."

Between the 2009 Bragging Rights replacing all of Team Smackdown after qualifying (being the moment for Eric Escobar, the moment it started for Drew McIntyre, and the last gasp of Cryme Tyme possibly being important)- followed by the next year seeing Kaval's moment it all went wrong of: NXT 2 champ, survives five minutes with Big Show to qualify- destroyed by Tyler Reks with no buildup...there's good ones for both., 

"Hey Pal, we've got this idea for you.  We're going to put you with Heenan..."

"Loving it" 

"And he's going to call you his Red Rooster..."

"Not sure about the name but go on..."

"And then we'll have you split from him and turn face.  And then you'll spike your hair in the middle red and act like a chicken! HA HA! ISN'T THAT THE GREATEST THING YOU'VE EVER HEARD?"

"...."

"We're also going to repackage Steve Lombardi and you're going to get beat by him a few times..."