DVDVR Message Board

Best Non Winning Royal Rumble Performances

Either 99 or 2000, Rikishi goes on a run early. Comes in, whoops some ass. Dances with other 2 Cool guys, eliminates them. Whoops more ass. Always thought that was pretty entertaining and Rikishi came off as uber-credible in that spot. Voldemort in 2004, only because I saw him at the Peachtree City World Gym in the weeks leading up to it doing insane amounts of cardio. I remember thinking to myself "I bet he has a big Rumble run this year." Felt like I had a minute stake in him winning. 

Edit: Just remembered the "non-winning" part. Scratch the Benoit stuff. I did think the other Legacy guys were entertaining the year Orton won, and the Nexus guys protecting Punk was fun. Khali breaking the first line of defense before Mason Ryan comes out. This night is also notable for being the only night Mason Ryan was compelling.

• Like 1

I'll throw in Eddie and Benoit from 2005. They were number one and two, so they spent a majority of the opening minutes having a technical wrestling match. Then Daniel Puder gets in the ring and they commence to whoopin his ass. Then Hardcore Holly gets in there and they really begin teaming up to make Puder their bitch! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas Bugg said:

I'll throw in Eddie and Benoit from 2005. They were number one and two, so they spent a majority of the opening minutes having a technical wrestling match. Then Daniel Puder gets in the ring and they commence to whoopin his ass. Then Hardcore Holly gets in there and they really begin teaming up to make Puder their bitch! 

Then Hurricane Helms came out, leading to the classic JR line; "The Hurricane got here just in time to get the hell beat out of him." Always made me laugh. But yeah, that opening segment with Guerrero and Benoit just obliterating Puder with chops is something I watch to get a chuckle every year or so. I know it's wrong, but damn if it isn't funny.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2016 at 0:21 PM, cwoy2j said:

No shit. Never heard that story. Is that from a shoot interview?

If I'm not mistaken it was from Ted's shoot interview. I remember hearing it on my Ipod.  Ted was out drinking the night before thinking "Oh I just have a battle royal the next day and I'l be in a few minutes"  He found out he was number 1 and thought he was being ribbed.    I am a huge Dibiase fan and prefer his shoot over his books.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2016 at 6:42 PM, Thomas Bugg said:

Even though it's shitty for 3 dudes to stiff a rookie like that when he can't defend himself, I did admire the creativity of Holly waiting til Hurricane's entrance to dump Puder so he didn't even get the dignity of an on-camera elimination. That was next-level hazing.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

Undertaker pulling Maven out after being eliminated and essentially hazing him on live PPV remains a memorable moment for me. 

Poor Maven fucking paid for it. Undertaker has nasty chair shots.

• Like 1

I forget which Rumble it was that had Road Dogg just clinging to the bottom turnbuckle for like 10 minutes of his time in the match, only to rush over and help someone get eliminated, then back to the corner. I was dying laughing whenever the camera would go to him.

• Like 3

I will always remember Demolition in '89 being one and two, but instead of standing around like a couple pansies they started whooping each other until the next guy came in. 

I was just a pup but I know I thought "those are real blokes right there". 

• Like 3

Does "Funk is on a Roll" hold the record for "song used by the most people as their entrance music in WWE"?

You had Miller, Brodus Clay, Sweet T, and Cameron and Naomi. I think that beats out "Real American", which was used by Hogan, Eugene, Axelmania, and Mr. America. 

54 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Does "Funk is on a Roll" hold the record for "song used by the most people as their entrance music in WWE"?

You had Miller, Brodus Clay, Sweet T, and Cameron and Naomi. I think that beats out "Real American", which was used by Hogan, Eugene, Axelmania, and Mr. America. 

IIRC, "Real American" originally belonged to Windham/Rotunda, so that'd make it the winner.

• Like 1

Didn't Windham and Rotundo leave the WWF right before they had a chance to actually use it for an entrance, and that it's only listed as being their theme on the Wrestling Album?

What about Brisco, Patterson, or Vince? Did they ever use Real American as goof?

1 hour ago, zev said:

What about Brisco, Patterson, or Vince? Did they ever use Real American as goof?

Patterson & Brisco did, and it was their theme on No Mercy for n64.

for Funk is on a Roll, there's also Xavier Woods "borrowing" Brodus Clay's entrance when he first debuted.

• Like 1

I think there's brief time period where Windham and Rotundo did use it before Windham left. Maybe Rotundo and Spivey used it?

Orndorff also used Real American for his music at least once during his feud with Hogan...it happens before one of the matches on Saturday Night's Main Event.

Edit: