DVDVR Message Board

The New WIRE Thread

Roman

Slim Charles doing Cheese was a perfect "Fuck yeah!" moment for me. Add to that you always got the vibe he never seemed to like Cheese all that much anyway. Killing Cheese as payback for Joe was one of the most righteous things in the entire run of the show.

James

• Like 3

This is a continuance from the main wrestling board because I am insane and I thought about which wrestlers are your personal Wire parallel character. First season should be the jump off

McNulty

Bunk

Daniels

Lester

Kima

Herc 

Carver

Sydnor

Prez

Jay Landsman

The two old drunks (a tag team works, same for Herc and Carver)

Rawls

Burrell

Clay

Judge Phelan

Levy

Rhonda

Omar

Stringer

Avon

Dee

Bubbles

Johnny

Bodie

Wallace (oh man that's gonna hurt)

Poot

Wee Bey

Bird

I'm not missing anyone am I? 

It is far too late for me to pontificate so I will allow promoters, on-air personalities, and even commentary/PBP/managers/announcers in this. It sounds like fun. And too much to handle drunk on a Saturday night

• 1 month later...

I think I would rank the seasons

1. Season 4

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

4. Season 5

5. Season 3

I kept trying with season 3 but between Carcetti's campaign (I usually love anything political but the only bright spot with that for me was Norman who was fantastic) and the Hampsterdam saga seemed to be saying a lot of the same things over and over again. It was a whole lot of time dedicated to something that fizzled out pretty quickly. 

I like Bodie too but it's hard to have empathy after they did Wallace. 

I couldn't stand Marlo, Snoop and Chris. I'm not sure they were the best heels but definitely nothing redeemable. Just true savages. Marlo is the type of guy who eventually catches one in the back of the head because he talked too much shit and got caught lackin. Marlo wasn't made to live another 20 years.

My favorite characters are easily Prop Joe, Omar, Butchie, McNulty and Bunk.  Honorable mention to Lester Freeman.  McNulty wasn't a "good guy" but through all his bullshit..  his heart was into police work 100% and we need people like that no matter how big of an asshole they are.

Bunk is just flat out hilarious from beginning to end.

Season 4 gets the top nod from me because the casting is fantastic. Within a couple short episodes I'm already fully invested in all of the kids and the entire school system arc was truly incredible television.

The other great thing about this series is watching how the clothing apparel evolves from season 1 to 5 and listening to what's on the radio in the background.

Honorable mention to Gus far as characters go. 

Wow, you're the only person I've ever heard actually rank season 5 over season 3. If it isn't season 2, 5 always gets the last spot (and I think deservedly so). I fully back your season 4 as #1 pick, that one is so good -- I might be biased as that's the one that I started with, but the character arcs of the kids and the story about the vacants, as well as Omar being Omar, is the best.

I get why people dislike season 5 because it feels a bit rushed and the serial killer plot is kind of "out there" but I think it fit the characters of McNulty and Freeman. McNulty from the very start is trying to bypass authority and scheme shit to get what he wants and he's always come out unscathed (even the boat only lasted a couple months) and he's OBSESSED over these cases to the point where nothing matters..  nothing.  Freeman who had been doing great work with the Marlo case and also a bit obsessed with police work has the case pulled from under his feet with like ten seconds left in the 4th quarter. He had it won and they axed it. He wasn't going to let that stand. He was buried for 13 years. He had enough. 

I think the most out of character thing for the whole season was Kima snitching. She was natural po-lice but she had let plenty of shit slide up to that point. I'm not sure why she felt she had to snitch.

I also enjoyed the journalism arc so that combined with McNulty's craziness, Bunk's disbelief and a few "fuck yeah!" moments make season 5 very enjoyable to me. 

Season 3 is good still but it's just too much time wasted to me.  The Hampsterdam saga goes on and on forever and just ends without much of a payoff.

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think the most out of character thing for the whole season was Kima snitching. She was natural po-lice but she had let plenty of shit slide up to that point. I'm not sure why she felt she had to snitch.

I think she knew that McNulty's scheme had gotten out of hand and had to be stopped because it was effecting everyone.

3 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I think she knew that McNulty's scheme had gotten out of hand and had to be stopped because it was effecting everyone.

But here's the thing.  McNulty was willing to give her all the resources to work her triple murder. And if it wasn't for McNulty's scheme, who knows when Bunk gets the lab results to pin a murder on Partlow. McNulty's was spreading resouces all over. Yeah, some guys were out there chasing the boogeyman but I think the pros outweighed the cons in the situation.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

But here's the thing.  McNulty was willing to give her all the resources to work her triple murder. And if it wasn't for McNulty's scheme, who knows when Bunk gets the lab results to pin a murder on Partlow. McNulty's was spreading resouces all over. Yeah, some guys were out there chasing the boogeyman but I think the pros outweighed the cons in the situation.

Kima was consistently a "by the book" police officer.  She knew Little Man was one of the dudes who shot her, but wouldn't point a finger at him, because she didn't see him.  She also made sure to count every dollar when she was seizing drugs and money with Herc and Carver.  She is the exact type of cop who would have blew the whistle on McNulty for fabricating a serial killer, even if she did benefit from it.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Kima was consistently a "by the book" police officer.  She knew Little Man was one of the dudes who shot her, but wouldn't point a finger at him, because she didn't see him.  She also made sure to count every dollar when she was seizing drugs and money with Herc and Carver.  She is the exact type of cop who would have blew the whistle on McNulty for fabricating a serial killer, even if she did benefit from it.

She was very "by the book" but she also overlooked a lot of McNulty's bullshit previously and he even helped her cheat on her girlfriend. He was owed some sort of "I don't care how you do it but FIX THIS" leeway from her before blowing the whistle. I'll never forgive her.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

She was very "by the book" but she also overlooked a lot of McNulty's bullshit previously and he even helped her cheat on her girlfriend. He was owed some sort of "I don't care how you do it but FIX THIS" leeway from her before blowing the whistle. I'll never forgive her.

She is a cop, she rightfully doesn't give leeway for actual crimes.  All that other stuff she overlooked was morally wrong, but not against the law.  Her job, which she took very seriously, was to enforce the law. 

Yeah, Kima was indeed "natural po-lice". I think they used her as an out to end the storyline because who else would snitch? At the same time they did the interesting thing of having Sydnor turn into the new McNulty (sans the drinking and carousing), which you really wouldn't expect. There's a lot of interesting flips there at the end: Michael turns into Omar, Dukie turns into Bubbles, Sydnor turns into McNulty/Lester, and if you want to fantasy book Marlo turns into Stringer -- halfway in the game and halfway out, but ready to get pounced on by how he plays it. Are there any other parallels I'm missing, character-wise?

Haven't watched season 5 in forever but are parallels between Gus and McNulty (the insistence on honesty and transparency and the willingness to jump rank to get the right thing done) and maybe even a beleaguered Carcetti, desperate to control the PD, having to be a bit of his predecessor. You can see him either breaking completely or, if he gets reelected, ending up like Royce completely.

Yeah wasn't he told about a possible run at the Gov.'s office by Norman or ol' Tits McGee? It would make sense. And I don't even remember O'Malley. Nobody's talked about anybody but Clinton and Bernie this and last year in the race and I don't even remember the name of the third-to-last guy on those debates that dropped.

• 1 month later...

I gave up after the seventh episode of season three. At no point did the show grab me. Characters that vaguely interested me in the beginning never grew. No storylines were intriguing. The entire first season was quite dull to me, but I'd been told the show needed some time, so I kept going. The second season was more enjoyable; mainly because, for some reason, I like stories that happen on the waterfront and stories about human trafficking... That sounds quite weird now that I type it out. The third season was just boring. Boring, boring, boring. It was a slog to get through, and I was never looking forward to watching another episode, so I just said, 'fuck it' and quit. I read the detailed episode summaries on Wikipedia. I'm glad I quit. None of it would have redeemed the show in my eyes.

I dislike Breaking Bad, I think The Wire is boring and I hate Seinfeld. Perhaps there is something wrong with me, given how popular those shows are.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of my goals this year is to finally knock this series out. I am trying to finish Season 1 this week and then get through Season 2 in a month or so.

I took the Wallace ending kind of hard probably because I have an attachment to Jordan as an actor and because he's a kid that should not have been caught up in that.