DVDVR Message Board

The New WIRE Thread

Roman

I love season 2 so much because the whole set-up is so... petty. I mean Valchek is just a petty fuckin dick and his pettiness ruins an entire way of life for the people who work the docks.

James

It's amazing how much pull that old pissant Polack continues to have after that even, in regards to the deal with Herc and the mayor and being the go-between for Carcetti and Burrell. 

Re: the docks

I think they were pretty much doomed anyway. No matter how many shoeboxes of cash Frank had would matter in the end, the grain pier would never get dredged and everyone would still be working two days a week.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's amazing how much pull that old pissant Polack continues to have after that even, in regards to the deal with Herc and the mayor and being the go-between for Carcetti and Burrell. 

Re: the docks

Hide contents

I think they were pretty much doomed anyway. No matter how many shoeboxes of cash Frank had would matter in the end, the grain pier would never get dredged and everyone would still be working two days a week.

This is true but I think Frank needed the myth of it to keep going in order keep his crew motivated and keep him in power as shop foreman. He kept all those guy going with the their belief that the everything he was working was going to pay off, even if it never would.

James

*sighs* "Boris... always Boris."

And yeah Nick's baby momma got the most poppin' titties haha. Speaking of naughty bits, it's weird how they gave Ziggy a monster cock for such a little dude, and for like no reason at all except to give him another reason to be obnoxious. 

EDIT: Another great quote from Season 2. Prop Joe: "If it weren't for Sergei here you would be one cadaverous motherfucka."

I've always found the main guys in the Barksdale crew to be fascinating, especially Weebay. There just seems to be a real intelligence and practicality to how he handles himself and position within the Barksdale crew. Sure he's just as much a malcontent as the rest but he lacks D'Angelo's humanity and Bird's sociopathy. He's pragmatic when he's caught and has no problem giving up the crimes he's done because fuck it, they got him so arguing is pointless so mine as well have another pit sammich.

When he shows up again in S4 Bunny Colvin lays what his son is headed for and Weebay knows Bunny is right and knows the rela obstacle to it all is baby mama. Of course he makes it real clear to her as to why she will cease to be a problem.

James  

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

*sighs* "Boris... always Boris."

And yeah Nick's baby momma got the most poppin' titties haha. Speaking of naughty bits, it's weird how they gave Ziggy a monster cock for such a little dude, and for like no reason at all except to give him another reason to be obnoxious. 

EDIT: Another great quote from Season 2. Prop Joe: "If it weren't for Sergei here you would be one cadaverous motherfucka."

Great quote? You mean the best quote.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, J.H. said:

When he shows up again in S4 Bunny Colvin lays what his son is headed for and Weebay knows Bunny is right and knows the rela obstacle to it all is baby mama. Of course he makes it real clear to her as to why she will cease to be a problem.

"Anywhere you decide to lay your head, it'll be my word that finds you." DAMN. 

Wee Bey is pragmatic and almost likable for a hitman (his love for his fish is a nice touch of humanity) but dumping the OD'd stripper is a real black mark on him. Again, aside from being a professional murderer.

Wee Bey gleefully shouting that he got Avon cheese fries during Omar's setup of Avon is one of the most hilarious moments on the show. His reaction goes from "WE BOUT TO EAT!" to "Oh no, what is this?!" real fast. That's when he became one of my top 3 or 4 characters on the show even though his role was greatly reduced in later seasons.

I think there isn't enough love for Cutty in this thread. I thought he was a really good study in character. How being in jail actually made him less of a soldier to thepoint where he couldn't be in the game anymore. His conversation with Slim Charles about how the game had changed but Charles pointing out that the game hadn't really changed but was "just more fierce" speaks about how even corner hustling had escalated.evolved from season 1.

James

I think jail was a big part of it, but a lot of it is not dealing with the head personalities. He didn't even know how to approach Avon to ask for a meager amount of money. He knows how dudes like that usually get down, at least before he went to prison. I think running with Slim before he had that change of heart and that convo just reaffirmed it.

Well you have to consider he had to tell Avon he wasn't in the game anymore. Coming back and asking for money after that sounds touchy for anyone who wasn't family. 

Cutty -- though he was also a killer -- was a rare character in the Wire universe. Instead of getting worse, he actually reformed, and Bubbles and Bunny seem like the only other characters that ever finally managed to do that. 

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well you have to consider he had to tell Avon he wasn't in the game anymore. Coming back and asking for money after that sounds touchy for anyone who wasn't family. 

The Barksdale organization isn't the mob though. Soldiers like Cutty have a bit more respect than someone like Bodie, who doesn't have that option to get out anyway. That's not to say Avon doesn't have his bad days. However, Avon helping someone who he has respect for isn't out of the realm of possibility. Did you ever see him helping out Marlo?

Oh, I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility for Avon to be a considerate and gracious person (remember him cooking at the soup kitchen? Though that could be interpreted as a "free turkey for Thanksgiving in the hood" move), That's probably the only reason Cutty came to him in the first place. It's just that with money involved, and them breaking off, I'd be scared to bring it up too.

As far as reformed characters goes I also forgot about Poot who ended up at Foot Locker! 

EDIT: I don't think it was a soup kitchen, technically; wasn't it a holiday or something and just a social dinner type thing?

I think an extension of Avon's personality is showing that he is a baller. So it's easy for him to be like fuck it and toss someone 10 Gs.  I mean that's the least he could do for someone risking his neck out there trying to protect his rep.

I think Avon had true respect for cutty. even when Cutty up and quit and told Avon he couldn't do it anymore, Avon still said privately to Slim Charles that Cutty was a real man, which is about as respectful a comment Avon makes to anyone throughout the entire series.

I don't understand why Season Two gets the hate it does. I would say that it's better than season 5 and (hot take alert) better than season one. 

15 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

I think Avon had true respect for cutty. even when Cutty up and quit and told Avon he couldn't do it anymore, Avon still said privately to Slim Charles that Cutty was a real man, which is about as respectful a comment Avon makes to anyone throughout the entire series.

I don't understand why Season Two gets the hate it does. I would say that it's better than season 5 and (hot take alert) better than season one. 

Juxtapose that against asking someone like Marlo, who believes he is Don Vito on his daughter's wedding day, for money. At least, Avon acknowledges that it's just a small favor so there is no point in attaching strings to it. You better believe that Marlo's shit is coming with stipulations (for now or down the line), and it's a not a request either. If Cutty doesn't kill someone or take care of whatever assignment Marlo gives him, his little gym is being firebombed no doubt. When it comes time to rebuild it, Marlo is going to give him the money and ask him for two or three favors now. Fortunately, someone like Cutty who has been inside the prison knows about that system of repayment and would never go to him in the first place. Also fortunate for him, he was working for Avon.

21 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

I love season 2. Frank Sobotka is my favorite character in the series.

" We used to make shit in this country, build shit. Now we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket."

Finished season 2. That was tremendous television, I don't see how people can dislike it. Frank Sabotka, Ziggy and even Nick all turned out to be great characters. Frank was tremendous all the way through. I thought The Greek was a little bit of a mustache twirler but he didn't bother me. Then you also had Stringer coming into his own. 

Season three has been a slow burn so far. I can't say it's bad, it's just new characters that haven't quite caught on with me and a case that hasn't yet broken in any particular direction. I am interested in the city politics and everything going on above the rank of lieutenant but I'm not sold on Littlefinger and why did I need to know he's another cheating scumbag. I don't care about him enough yet to care that he's cheating on his wife.

I think Carcetti got better as the show went on. I think they were kinda telegraphing it bit (he is a white boy in Baltimore, how could he ever be mayor?), but I think the whole thing was worth it in the end imo.

• Like 1