DVDVR Message Board

The New WIRE Thread

Roman

That doesn't disqualify you being a villain though. Just because you own up to being a racist doesn't make you a good person for recognizing that. The thing is Marlo's model ain't the first of its type and certainly won't be the last. Alpo Martinez was a ruthless motherfucker, but he wasn't the first and surely wasn't going to be the last of his kind. Once they took away Chris and Snoop (in essence the same way Baltimore detail helped take away Avon's infrastructure), Marlo had to start over from square one on the corner. Incompetence killed the Barksdale organization whereas Marlo's intimidation racket almost unraveled on several accidental occasions (Chris and Snoop are driving around with evidence in broad daylight).  Even if someone like Marlo does build back up, now they have more than enough intel on him especially compared to when they thought he was just some dude who might be a Barksdale acquaintance/low level enforcer type.

I don't know if Marlo was going back to his old ways permanently or just blowing off steam and reminding himself of where he came from. Then again if you are gonna do something that stupid and crazy, I don't know if he can resist his impulses and stay a wholesaler. Maybe he just ends up going around shooting people at random for fun?

Also, never seen Buckaroo Banzai either, just bits and pieces. It was on El Rey recently. 

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't know if Marlo was going back to his old ways permanently or just blowing off steam and reminding himself of where he came from. Then again if you are gonna do something that stupid and crazy, I don't know if he can resist his impulses and stay a wholesaler. Maybe he just ends up going around shooting people at random for fun?

It was kinda left open ended, but what else is he going to do? I think the problem is that once they see him again, they're automatically going to start building a case against him. Or at least add onto what they already have. It's like OJ beating the double murder rap and then going back to get his merch back. He should know that they want to put him behind bars bad and for good. Even if he has the best intentions (meaning no stuff like the vacants anymore), he is tempting fate to say the least.

I guess it all depends on if they came up with the ten mil for him after all. You could see him running off to Vegas or somewhere and restarting his empire, maybe trying to take someone else's over, getting involved with the cartels... who knows. I wouldn't put it past him to start an underground human fight club where rich people bet on the winner honestly. But you also have to think back to Wallace coming back to the West Side and saying "this is all I know, yo", or Bodie going to Philly and having never left the city; maybe Marlo would have that same attitude. And probably get even closer to Avon than he thought.

Going somewhere that's not Baltimore (realistically) and it working successfully is a pipe dream. The same thing he was pulling on the New York boys is going to happen to his new people. Pulling that shit in a place that's not your immediate home real estate is recipe for getting killed or ran out of there in humiliating fashion. And if there is a person who can't stand to be humiliated, it's Marlo Stanfield.

When it comes to dealing with people that aren't black, no one is going to accept him. Those who do are doing it without the best intentions.

So at best, he might land in D.C. before getting arrested there on like a gun charge, a few ounces of weed, or some petty shit like that. Probably a pimping and pandering charge or being caught in soliciting an undercover cop for certain paid services. Marlo does have some simp qualities. Also, there isn't a guarantee he doesn't run into their version of Marlo Stanfield and get bumped off.

Stringer and Marlo in some ways have the same fatal flaw, they just do it on two different levels. String wants so desperately to go legit that he gets taken at every turn in a game he doesn't understand, but thinks he's smart enough to eventually get. Marlo does literally the exact same thing in the poker game, where he loses hundreds of thousands of dollars and writes it off as the cost of learning. They can't help themselves. They are good at one game, really good, and their hubris makes them think they will subsequently be good at all other games too. 

Bodie is the most tragic and best character. There is no hero in the show, I would argue. Just various points of view.

• Like 3

Bodie was one of the most living on borrowed time characters in perhaps TV history. You know they wanted us to believe Bubbles was that character. Nope, it's Bodie once he did in Wallace. He's the Lefty Ruggiero that didn't even get upped even that far. You're just waiting for him to catch a stray.

• Like 1

I think maybe my favourite thing about having watched 'The Wire' is the actors are almost like an exclusive club so that when I'm watching a movie or TV show, I'll all of a sudden stop and go "Hey, that kid's teacher is Bubbles!" "Oh man, I didn't realize Omar was one of the two main characters in this!" "Wait...is Kingpin's dad Herc from 'The Wire'?" and if you're watching with someone who hasn't watched through the series, they look at you like you're crazy but it just gives you another reason to stick with whatever particular movie/show you're watching

And I think if there as any true face in the show if not Bubbles, it's Bunny, though even he contributed to the suffering though at an end to change circumstances that were only barely in his control. And he had his redemption story in taking in Namond.

7 minutes ago, caley said:

I think maybe my favourite thing about having watched 'The Wire' is the actors are almost like an exclusive club so that when I'm watching a movie or TV show, I'll all of a sudden stop and go "Hey, that kid's teacher is Bubbles!" "Oh man, I didn't realize Omar was one of the two main characters in this!" "Wait...is Kingpin's dad Herc from 'The Wire'?" and if you're watching with someone who hasn't watched through the series, they look at you like you're crazy but it just gives you another reason to stick with whatever particular movie/show you're watching

Inverse for me since I finally caught the show only a month ago. 

D's mom played by Jamaican actress Michael Hyatt was a detective on S2 of True Detective who catches one to the domepiece while sitting in the car and also a detective on Ray Donovan recently.

I saw her on The Wire and was like, "this lady must be a premium cable character actress".

15 minutes ago, J.H. said:

If anything the only pure babyface thsat you root for throughout is Bubbles. The Wire is pretty much his version of the Joseph Campbell Hero's Quest.

James

One of the truly amazing things about The Wire is how many characters are separate archetypes. Bubbles could be viewed through a Campbellian lens. Bodie is a tragic Greek Hero. Omar is a modern anti hero. Herc and Carver are essentially Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. The scope is that of Tolstoy. It's truly the most literate show ever filmed, and quite possible the best example of American fiction in the 21st century. 

2 hours ago, caley said:

Every time I see Michael B. Jordan, it's like they shot Wallace all over again. :(

3 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

They are good at one game, really good, and their hubris makes them think they will subsequently be good at all other games too. 

Vince-McMahon-Upset_original.jpg?1372368

• Like 2

I get the Herc & Carver = R&G analogy but that kind of drops off for carver as he actually becomes something better than he was to act as a reflection of Daniels. I think theo nly on who came out unscathed as far as character on the police side of things was Sydnor, though his end game was him basically taking theMcnulty route with Phelan to get what he wanted.

As far my views on Stringer go... yeah he was hood trying to go legit thinking he was Michael Corleone but not realizing he really didn't have the type of training or mind for that (I mean at least Michael had his dad teach him). Stringer thought he was a cunning and ruthless motherfucker but was unprepared for guys who were actually more ruthless and cunning than he was and he couldn't really handle that. He was trying to be more than a thug, when honestly that's all he was. Avon was smarter in that he was a thug, loved being a thug and was even born into it (both he and D'Angelo go over their family connections to The Game a few times). D'Angelo's fall was that he wanted to be his uncle but really didn't have the stomach for it in the long run.

James

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, Roman said:

I'm finally starting The Wire. Oh boy.

I just started watching it again because 1. I missed a lot of episodes and 2. I don't remember a lot of what happened.  So I said, okay, I have HBO NOW, let's do this..  and I flew through the first season. Now I'm on season 2 episode 3 and I gotta say, season 2 so far is a lot better than I remember it. I know there's a lot of folks who do not care for this season but I'm enjoying it immensely.

• Like 1

I think theo nly on who came out unscathed as far as character on the police side of things was Sydnor, though his end game was him basically taking theMcnulty route with Phelan to get what he wanted.

Oh yeah, they totally set up Sydnor as the next McNulty just like they set up Michael as the new Omar and Dukie as the new Bubbles. The theme of history repeating itself and all that. 

Season 2 is fantastic and I won't have any words to the opposite. The open with McNulty drunk driving, outlining a claim for the wreck of his own car and pulling it off, then getting scrapple and coffee and ending up fucking a super hot young waitress alone is a golden moment in the series. And as said above, the Greek and Spiros Vondopaulos are two of the great true heels in the series and the demise of the Sobotka family is fascinating. 

EDIT: And he was listening to the Pogues in the car!

EDIT II: (very NSFW btw) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhaZunwvW5o

I'm not going to really read many posts in here until I'm done with it because there's still some surprises to be had but in discussing season 2 a couple things jump off the screen so far that are so fucking great.   First and obvious is Jimmy's blatant and very calculated "fuck yous" to Major Rawls.

Also, I could watch several hours of pissing contests between Frank Sobotka and Major Valchek.