DVDVR Message Board

UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic (5/14/2016) - Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil (Arena da Baixada)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_198_Werdum_vs._Miocic_Poster.jpg?146

UFC 198: Werdum vs. Miocic 
May 14, 2016
Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil (Arena da Baixada)

UFC Heavyweight Championship: Fabrício Werdum © (240) vs. Stipe Miočić (241) (first defense) - Miočić, KO (punch), R1 (2:47)
Ronaldo Souza (186) vs. Vitor Belfort (185) - Souza, TKO (punches), R1 (4:38)
Cristiane Justino (139) vs. Leslie Smith (139) - Justino, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:21)
Maurício Rua (205) vs. Corey Anderson (204) - Rua, DEC (split)
Warlley Alves (170) vs. Bryan Barberena (170) - Barberena, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Demian Maia (171) vs. Matt Brown (171) - Maia, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (4:31)
Thiago Santos (185) vs. Nate Marquardt (186) - Santos, KO (punch), R1 (3:39)
Francisco Trinaldo (156) vs. Yancy Medeiros (156) - Trinaldo, DEC (unanimous)
John Lineker (135) vs. Rob Font (135) - Lineker, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Patrick Cummins (206) vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira (205) - Nogueira, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:52)
Sérgio Moraes (171) vs. Luan Chagas (169) - DRAW (split)
Renato Carneiro (146) vs. Zubaira Tukhugov (146) - Carneiro, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Ronaldo Souza
Performance of the Night: Stipe Miočić
Fight of the Night: Francisco Trinaldo vs. Yancy Medeiros

Attendance: 45,207
Buyrate: 217,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Evan Dunham vs. Leonardo Santos - Bout Moved to Another Card
Sérgio Moraes vs. Kamaru Usman - Injury to Usman
Anderson Silva vs. Uriah Hall - Silva Experienced Abdominal Pain

• Like 1

For what has gone on in the Brazilian market and with the economy, there had to be a card like this.

Also, I don't think they sacrificed a bunch of marquee names to build it up. Plus, giving Cyborg a showcase spices it up a bit.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Poor Leslie Smith...

Also John Lineker is fighting. At this point I don't even bother with checkining who he's fighting and just try and tune in when he's fighting as he's hardly ever in a boring fight.

I haven't watched an entire UFC card in what feels like forever, but this seems like a good enough card to gain my interest again.

Texted w/ Cyborg's nutritionist @LOCKloaded today. He couldn't say how much she weighed but said "it's going to be her easiest cut to date."

Lockhart added that things are going amazing for Cyborg just days before she has to hit 140 for her UFC debut on Friday.

• Like 1

Anderson Silva had to pull out of the Hall fight due to abdominal pain, possibly requiring gall bladder surgery. The UFC is looking for a replacement of Hall.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Anderson Silva had to pull out of the Hall fight due to abdominal pain, possibly requiring gall bladder surgery. The UFC is looking for a replacement of Hall.

Abdominal pains suck. Best wishes to the Spider.

He is suppose to have surgery on Wednesday (today in most places). Apparently, this went down a few hours before he was suppose to leave Rio for Curitiba.

Hopefully, he makes a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

As someone who had their gallbladder removed, the surgery feels much better than the gallbladder attacks. Those are the worst. Only thing that would resolve them was a trip to the ER and a morphine drip. Since it's a laproscopic surgery, it's a few 1 inch incisions normally and recovery doesn't take that long. For an athlete though, he's not going to be doing much of anything for awhile.

45 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As someone who had their gallbladder removed, the surgery feels much better than the gallbladder attacks. Those are the worst. Only thing that would resolve them was a trip to the ER and a morphine drip. Since it's a laproscopic surgery, it's a few 1 inch incisions normally and recovery doesn't take that long. For an athlete though, he's not going to be doing much of anything for awhile.

According to a Portal do Vale Tudo interview w/ Rogerio Camoes, Anderson already talking about fighting at UFC 200 and  just got out of surgery only hours ago. Though if Camoes is saying he will return to his training routine in 4-6 weeks, 200 is certainly quite optimistic.

BTW, Hall is off the card and most likely going to be rebooked for an upcoming card. Alves/Barberena is moved up to the PPV portion.

You catch Cyborg at the right angle and you say to yourself, "Oh, what a pretty smile she has," and then you make painful note of her fucking man-jaw.

This is your life, Leslie Smith.

For Leslie's sake, I hope Herb Dean is the ref.  I also hope that Leslie has Jorina Baars as a Facebook friend.

Since there is a show in Cali that same night, either Herb and/or BJM may be staying back to referee the main event and co-main event of that show. Since you have a ton of Brazilians on this show, it may be a mix of 2 or 3 Brazilians refs and someone like Marc Goddard doing the main event.  The last thing this show needs is dudes like Eduardo Herdy and Osiris Maia. If so, in the words of that old lady from the movie "Heaven's Gate", God is her only doctor now.

Anyway, the Cyborg that faced Baszler is a completely different version of Cris Cyborg. Cris actually has like a strategy other than "Murder Death Kill" now and can throw straight and clean punches. That's the one thing that has been present at the end of her Strikeforce run and during her Invicta run. If George Lockhart got her weight cut right (we'll see later on today if what Lockhart has been telling everyone is true), Leslie Smith is going to get smashed in unbelievable fashion. It doesn't help that Smith is one of these fighters who is too tough for her good and already resigned to the fact this might not go her way. It's hard to not look at the fact she almost lost to a woman who is barely five feet tall last time out and is offensively deficient save from being able to slam you. That fight was life or death. It is also scary to believe she is going around and talking about being a gatekeeper the week of the fight. I get it that Tate is her friend, but you can't say, "Yeah, I'm gonna to beat Cyborg and stick around as a gatekeeper to wait on another fight." Far be it for me to tell a fighter this, but fighting doesn't work like that. This doesn't sound like a person who believes she has any avenue to beat Cris Cyborg. This has all the makings of a sixteen seed in the NCAA tournament playing the the '96 Kentucky Wildcats. 

• Like 2

Everyone made weight including Cyborg coming in at 139. Face was sucked in a bit, but her body looked no different in terms of what she usually looks at weigh-ins. George Lockhart mentioned that come fight time, she's going to be 165-168. So yeah, you folks probably should start a Go Fund Me for Leslie Smith right about now.

Another thing: This might be a sign of the times, the location of the fight, or just having half the folks that are going to be there on fight night, but Jacare's crowd support clearly dwarfed Vitor Belfort's support. Four and a half years ago when the UFC first went to Brazil after the long absence, I don't think this happens in Rio, Sao Paulo, Curitiba, or anywhere. There was a small "You're Going to Die" chant for Vitor so color me shocked. Maybe tomorrow night it changes, but I certainly didn't expect to this happen at the weigh-ins.

Also, Matt Brown is going to be the most hated man in Curitiba, PR tomorrow walking to the cage and when the fight starts.

CiXMaClUkAEW0uk.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely excited for Cyborg to finally debut in the UFC. Always exciting when she fights. I've got Leslie surviving one round but of course it could easily wind up like Cyborg's last several fights. Looking forward to that one the most.